'13 Playoffs Game 4 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 4 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I don't find moral high ground because the Pens almost won, or outplayed their opponent. This team should have never of been down 3 games in the first place.

It's not about moral high ground; it's about simply recognizing that even though they lost 4 straight, the could as well be up 3-1 in the series right now.

I get that fans are bitter and mad that the season is over and everything, but it only takes a little while of watching hockey, especially in this day and age, to realize that every game - especially those against two high-quality teams - comes down to a few bounces. I'm not resting comfortably in that fact, but I'm not going to hysterically overreact just because the series ended 0-4 for the Pens... and I sincerely hope that Ray Shero doesn't, as well.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
shmenguin wrote:How on earth could last night have ended differently?

We had one good rush and it was with the goalie pulled. At no point did it look like we were going to win that game.

It's not like Boston had many scoring chances the last two games either. McQuaid's shot hit a stick and found the perfect spot. Someone just posted a gif of Malkin being robbed by Chara desperation with about a minute left.

The way people are talking the Pens got blown out of the series. Game three, Adams hit a post moments before Boston won it. There wasn't much differentiating these games.

And Horton hit a post before Adams? In game 3 the Bruins had a handful of odd man breaks, posts an chances. More real chances than us. We never got near their goalie.

Teams create their own breaks. We lost badly. I just find it funny people only remember the pens posts or close chances as if the Bruins scored on all of their chances.

I agree with that. If not for Vokoun, we'd have gotten BLOWN OUT.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:00 pm

malkinshair wrote: You have to fight fire with fire sometimes.

tell that to Bylsma. He's still holding on to his ridiculous 'we were beat'n by a mysterious force field' theory.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Malkamaniac wrote: This offseason could be exciting.

Yeah, they can't do any worse than 0-4 in the off season

Spoiler:
Or can they?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Penspal on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Pens did go and get Morrow & Murray for playoff grit. They did play 90's style but others did not.

Boston kept coming up with the big play. Chara glove save the latest one. Yes, pens were close, but they never had the lead.... Never. With sid being key in every aspect of the pens game, his issues (whatever they are) had profound impact on the team success. Pens were always outnumbered on offense it seemed.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
malkinshair wrote: You have to fight fire with fire sometimes.

tell that to Bylsma. He's still holding on to his ridiculous 'we were beat'n by a mysterious force field' theory.

Haha.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't buy the "it was closer than it shows" argument. Could we have won a couple games with a few bounces? Yes. But the Bruins controlled everything. If you could go back and give the Pens the 2 close games, I'd still put money on Boston winning in 6 or 7. The close games were close b/c we stopped making ridiculous errors and teeing up goals for them. The best analogy I could use is the Steelers' defense about 5 years ago. Even though we weren't up by 2 or 3 touchdowns, you just knew the game was in control b/c we weren't going to give up points (or even first downs). That's how Boston played. They were confident 1 or 2 goals was enough to win because that had us in check on offense 90%+ of the time. They weren't worried about taken a penalty to prevent a scoring chance because we could barely manage a shot, much less a scoring chance.

The scores were closer than what you would thing of in a dominated series (like we did to the Sens). But the Bruins executed exactly how they wanted to know they were never in trouble. I can't think of a time in the series where the Bruins really had to feel like they were in a bind. Even in the double OT game, there was a brief moment of panic when Adams hit the post, but there was never an onslaught of pressure to make them feel like they were in danger of losing.

Rask played well, but you could probably count on one hand the number of truly difficult saves he had to make in 4 games.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 pm

bhaw wrote:.

Rask played well, but you could probably count on one hand the number of truly difficult saves he had to make in 4 games.

Awwww, there you go making sense again. You know that's not allowed around here.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby firepower on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:34 pm

What an end to a good season.
Time to say bye bye to DB. Cannot adapt to anything. Either his system works or the Pens lose.
Who to keep with the cap being lowered? Murray, Morrow.
Not going to be able to afford Iginla even if they did want him.
Saw a lot of quotes referring this to be a country club team, I hear Torts is looking for a job.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:38 pm

The only acquisition I'd like them to keep is Murray. Morrow I'm "meh" on. Probably too expensive for a 3rd / 4th line player. Iginla will get a decent paycheck somewhere that we shouldn't match.

Next year Bennett and Despres need to be full time.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:05 pm

I wrote after game 2, that without Sid, Evgeni and K Letang scoring; it is over.
All the talk is just fringe and fodder to fill up space.
Tomas Vokoun, he did all he could to give the scorers the opportunity. thanks Tomas!
Anyone who now thinks the trades were garbage, first needs to search and see exactly what they wrote at the time of the trades. I remember 1~ lesky, who hated the trades.
Coaching staff and GM needed more changes after they played stoned in game 2. 2nd game of the conference finals; they competed like buffoons.

"They have good structure," Penguins left winger Chris Kunitz said. "They're willing to battle and they have guys there and they bring guys back to play well defensively."
The Penguins never had a lead in four games and scored just two goals.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2VeFOXB3O

The one that players mentioned most after this loss — center Evgeni Malkin called it “big” — was losing two games at home to open the series, including a 6-1 drubbing in Game 2.
“We lost this series at home,” Malkin said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/pen ... z2VeEyJZtE
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GM Ray Shero; gotta keep mixing the formula. You will need to think more on the coaching. Small, cold comfort, but 1 year ago... the pens made progress. thanks!

I think my hockey viewing is done for the year. No interest in the teams left. Onto the other threads, have to see if I was traded yet. ;)
Thanks for the "thoughts after the games" thread. We almost got to the end of the very end.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Why does anyone even entertain the thought of bringning Iginla back? He was mentally behind on every play. He flubbed shots, flubbed passes. Didn't play responsible defense. I don't by the RW/LW argument. He was putrid. Not why we lost, but we really shouldn't bring him back. TK and Jeffrey are both way better and cheaper options.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

penny lane wrote:
I think my hockey viewing is done for the year. No interest in the teams left. Onto the other threads, have to see if I was traded yet. ;)
Thanks for the "thoughts after the games" thread. We almost got to the end of the very end.

Your welcome! See you next year.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:03 pm

At least the pens got Jussi for free
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:07 pm

I wouldn't say blow up the team but move some big disappointments and get younger. If it means missing the playoffs while rookies learn under a new coach I'm ok with that.

Trade Letang and Fleury for some younger wings and play Despres, Harrington and Pouliot next year.

Martin-Pouliot
Orpik-Despres
Harrington-Murray
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 pm

DelPen wrote:I wouldn't say blow up the team but move some big disappointments and get younger. If it means missing the playoffs while rookies learn under a new coach I'm ok with that.

Trade Letang and Fleury for some younger wings and play Despres, Harrington and Pouliot next year.

Martin-Pouliot
Orpik-Despres
Harrington-Murray

I think there's enough experience on that defense to make the playoffs. It would be a little scary going into the post-season with it, but I don't think it would be a loser.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
shmenguin wrote:How on earth could last night have ended differently?

We had one good rush and it was with the goalie pulled. At no point did it look like we were going to win that game.

It's not like Boston had many scoring chances the last two games either. McQuaid's shot hit a stick and found the perfect spot. Someone just posted a gif of Malkin being robbed by Chara desperation with about a minute left.

The way people are talking the Pens got blown out of the series. Game three, Adams hit a post moments before Boston won it. There wasn't much differentiating these games.

And Horton hit a post before Adams? In game 3 the Bruins had a handful of odd man breaks, posts an chances. More real chances than us. We never got near their goalie.

Teams create their own breaks. We lost badly. I just find it funny people only remember the pens posts or close chances as if the Bruins scored on all of their chances.

I agree with that. If not for Vokoun, we'd have gotten BLOWN OUT.

That's goofy. It could also be said that if not for Rask, Boston could have been blown out. The goalies cancelled each other out.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 19h
Malkin on Rask's play: "My job is not to look at how the goalie plays. It’s my job to score goals." #Penguins

Evgeni knows he failed and accepts responsibility. Very rare in today's world, in anyone.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 pm

penny lane wrote:
Malkin on Rask's play: "My job is not to look at how the goalie plays. It’s my job to score goals." #Penguins

Evgeni knows he failed and accepts responsibility. Very rare in today's world, in anyone.

:thumb: Very rare in today's world for anyone to take responsibility for anything. Very refreshing.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 pm

penny lane wrote:

Seriously Malkin is a gamer. This lazy Russian thing needs to stop, the guy wants to win and plays hard to do it. End of story.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:09 pm

i was so incredibly impressed with malkin in the last 2 games. it's a shame barely anyone else wanted to show the same heart
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:31 pm

I know this is blaspheme, and I know (hope) it won't ever come down to this, but I would choose Malkin on my team over Crosby.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Looks like the Hawks will close things out tonight or soon hereafter. I hope the Bruins get curb-stomped in the SCF. Quenneville and Co. now see what Julien has in store for them, and I trust they'll be able to counter. As much as I can't stand the song, I want the Bruins to hear "Chelsea Dagger" in their nightmares. And, from afar, I'll volunteer my best Tequila-fueled karaoke of "Fiesta Mexicana."

I'm still a tad bitter about our team's approach and performance. Duh.

I'm incredibly disappointed with the poor deportment of many Boston fans I've seen, heard, read about, and personally experienced. The vitriol! (We're arrogant? I'm seeing some people in a new light, and it's unsettling.

Someday soon, Brad Marchand will let Matt Cooke off the hook. Boston fans and media won't have a leg to stand on because Marchand will have taken it out while slewfooting or kneeing someone else.

I'm a little worried about the possibility of waiting another 15 years or so to get to another SCF. If you'd have told me in 1992 that it would take 16 years to get to another one, I'd have thought you were crazy--but it did indeed take that long. Now that the franchise is stable and looks to be for the long term, I hope my concern in unwarranted.

Bring me Dave Tippett. If we get a new, more defensive-minded coach, I'd like to see both Fleury and Letang in that new system, provided the money's right--likely, a fantasy to consider.

Please don't leave, Pascal. And RS, given that Pascal has improved year over year here and is in ridiculous shape, might you make one exception and consider a third year? I think he's shown he'll work his ass off for the duration.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:27 pm

There are three things that are clear after this series. The team chose not to play how Bylsma wanted, The team physically couldn't play his system or what we say was exactly what Bylsma wanted. In all three cases the coach needs to go.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 3m

#Pens coach Bylsma said Martin played with a "significant injury" the past few games. Others had bumps and bruises.

Sid's offseason, new teeth tomorrow.

Also a fairly newsworthy item~ GM Shero has not yet met with Coach Blysma.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins