Fleury buy-out?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury buy-out?

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Candleonwater wrote:Can I offer up Holtby? I would be sad to see Flower leave Pittsburgh, so I say send him here!

Holtby and Bernier would be the only 2 goalies I would be excited to have if the Pens and Flower parted ways.

But the Pens and Fleury won't part ways.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Fourth Period is reporting that the Pens don't plan on making a change in goal unless a huge deal falls in their laps.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit130608.html
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KBone on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Fourth Period is reporting that the Pens don't plan on making a change in goal unless a huge deal falls in their laps.

They are also reporting in the same article that it's likely the Pens buyout Jussi and Paul Martin (arguably our best all around D-man).
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 pm

KBone wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Fourth Period is reporting that the Pens don't plan on making a change in goal unless a huge deal falls in their laps.

They are also reporting in the same article that it's likely the Pens buyout Jussi and Paul Martin (arguably our best all around D-man).

That's total insanity.

Let's buy out the Best Defenseman and one of the few who played well against Boston!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:30 am

Does anybody know what LA's asking price is for Bernier? A top prospect? Picks? Or do they want a roster player? I would love to have him but I really have no idea what he'd cost.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:41 am

Fleury for Bernier would be good swap,I wonder who would take MAF after all meltdowns in last few seasons... Vokoun has one more year,then Bernier takes over..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:51 am

Hartzell
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bse on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:53 am

If a deal with Montreal can not be reached, how about:

Marc-Andre Fleury (and rights to RFA Tyler Kennedy) to Edmonton for Devan Dubnyk, Teemu Hartikainen and 3rd rounder in 2014?

Fair? One would think Fleury has more value than Dubnyk on the market.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:20 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
smoothmoneyb wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I don't see it happening for several reasons. As an organization, I don't see the Penguins doing that. It's not the way they roll. If Fleury is to be jettisoned, it will be via a trade. The other thing to consider is a possible coaching change. A new coaching staff means a new system and a fresh start. I'm not sure Bylsma will be fired, but if he is, hiring a new coaching staff should be a reason to keep Fleury. I realize MAF has not played to his capabilities but the team defense in front of him hasn't been consistently good, either.

See, to me this argument make more sense for a player like letang than it does for fleury, unless we're talking about specifically a new goaltender coach. I just can't imagine how much DB has to do with fleury recent post season shortcomings.

I think it COULD help both Letang and Fleury. I agree that it's tough to tell how much Disco has had to do with Fleury's recent postseason play. Fleury has let in really awful goals but he has also been left hung out to dry too many times since Bylsma has taken over. I don't know the answer but I will ask it: did Bylsma stifle Fleury's development? He seemed to be improving until the year after the Cup.

I'm willing to wager that Bylsma's system had more to do with Letang's poor defensive play than it did with Fleury's. Letang seems to have been given total free rein. A more restrictive coach would with a more conservative system would insist on defensive zone responsibility. On the other hand, Fleury's work has a comparable within the same system - Vokoun. TV did have a GAA over 2, but his SV% I believe was pretty solid, and miles better than Fleury's... seems SV% is the better gauge of a goalies ability than GAA.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:25 am

For anyone wondering, MAF wouldn't be part of a deal involving LA. LA wants to desperately move a goalie. They wouldn't trade one useless goalie for another useless goalie. (Useless for different reasons)

That makes zero sense.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tyler Durden on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:32 am

Pens4Life wrote:Fleury for Bernier would be good swap,I wonder who would take MAF after all meltdowns in last few seasons... Vokoun has one more year,then Bernier takes over..

I would do that in a New York minute, but that deal is never going to happen and it doesn't make any sense at all unless the Kings move Quick, who has a 5.8 million dollar per year cap hit until 2022-2023. There is no way the Kings are going to commit nearly 12 million dollars for goalies. The Penguins are currently spending the most on goaltending at roughly 7 million dollars combined.

Bernier would be my top choice if Fleury goes but I don't see the Penguins as a good trade partner in the sense that they don't have the assets the Kings are looking for. I'd be willing to part with Letang in a deal that brings back Bernier and some other assets, but LA doesn't need Letang.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:34 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Fleury for Bernier would be good swap,I wonder who would take MAF after all meltdowns in last few seasons... Vokoun has one more year,then Bernier takes over..

I would do that in a New York minute, but that deal is never going to happen and it doesn't make any sense at all unless the Kings move Quick, who has a 5.8 million dollar per year cap hit until 2022-2023. There is no way the Kings are going to commit nearly 12 million dollars for goalies. The Penguins are currently spending the most on goaltending at roughly 7 million dollars combined.

Bernier would be my top choice if Fleury goes but I don't see the Penguins as a good trade partner in the sense that they don't have the assets the Kings are looking for. I'd be willing to part with Letang in a deal that brings back Bernier and some other assets, but LA doesn't need Letang.

No, but LA might be willing to take one of the plethora of d-men we have. You have to get a goalie before you move Fleury. Fleury isn't going to be bought out because the minute he is...the Philadelphia Flyers take him.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tyler Durden on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:40 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:No, but LA might be willing to take one of the plethora of d-men we have. You have to get a goalie before you move Fleury. Fleury isn't going to be bought out because the minute he is...the Philadelphia Flyers take him.

Perhaps they would be amenable to deal like that. That's something I hope Shero explores. Bring in Bernier and you still have a more than reliable veteran in Vokoun. I think it would be a perfect situation. But you're absolutely right that you must have Fleury's replacement lined up before moving Fleury unless you can trade him for another goalie.

Regarding Fleury being bought out -- the Flyers would have to do something with Bryz before pursuing Fleury. Fleury won't be bought out because that's simply not the way the Penguins do things. I would be shocked if they were to buy him out.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:54 am

MRandall25 wrote:If you're going to fire and replace Bylsma, wouldn't you want to see how Fleury performs under the new coach before making a decision on how you want to handle him?

How does Fleury's ability to stop the puck have anything to do with the head coach?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:56 am

Candleonwater wrote:Can I offer up Holtby?

I LOVE Braden Holtby. He has the exact opposite personality of MAF. That kid never gets rattled by anything and has this sort of Patrick Roy, "F U" mentality in net. Yes, please. However, the Caps would be stupid to give him up, especially to a division rival.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:38 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:If you're going to fire and replace Bylsma, wouldn't you want to see how Fleury performs under the new coach before making a decision on how you want to handle him?

How does Fleury's ability to stop the puck have anything to do with the head coach?

Well, for example, look at Boston. No matter what goalie is plugged into that system, they look amazing. Same with Phoenix. Go get Dave Tippett and see what Fleury could do in a system that protests their goalie.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:46 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:

Well, for example, look at Boston. No matter what goalie is plugged into that system, they look amazing.

I think you're really selling Tuukka Rask short. I highly doubt that if Fleury is Boston's goalie in that series, he gives up 2 goals in 4 games.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins