News article: Jagr feels for the plight of Crosby, Malkin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

News article: Jagr feels for the plight of Crosby, Malkin

Postby Lesky on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 am

BOSTON – Jaromir Jagr has been exactly where Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are right now after coming up with nothing but zeroes in a critical playoff series for their team. He knows what it’s like to have a team’s entire defense geared around stopping him, and experienced that many times over when he was a teen-ager dominating the NHL with loaded Pittsburgh Penguins teams more than 20 years ago.

So he wasn’t taking any glee from the struggles of Crosby or Malkin once the Bruins had completed their 1-0 win in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals, and had swept both superstars and their Pittsburgh hockey club right out of the playoffs. Crosby, Malkin, Kris Letang, Jarome Iginla and James Neal finished with zero points and a minus-22

Instead there was full empathy from a 41-year-old future Hall of Famer, who has seen it all over the course of his 23 years of pro hockey.

“Good defense means that you play the zone, and you play as a five man unit. So if somebody makes a mistake and you don’t play the tight defense, it’s a lot easier for somebody to score because there’s nobody even close,” said Jagr. “But with the type of defense we play if somebody makes a mistake or loses an edge, there’s somebody else close by to stop them. You have to beat five guys and not one guy. That’s why I think it was tougher for Malkin and Crosby because it was a five guy unit.

“They are great players. There is no question about it. It’s not easy when [you’re them] and everybody is waiting for you to do something. It’s like in basketball when you have a good guy, and you double team them. You let somebody else beat you. If you’re going to play against Lebron James you’re going to put two guys on him, and let somebody else beat you. Let the Bird Man (Chris Anderson) beat you. He’s pretty good, but that’s the way it is.”

Who knew that “The Jagr” was such an NBA fan?

Full article: http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/j ... sby-malkin
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: News article: Jagr feels for the plight of Crosby, Malki

Postby Tyler Durden on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:27 am

F him. That is all.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 am

No, "I really feel bad for the Penguins and their organization. Maybe, if the chips fall correctly, I can finish my career there where it all started, I'd play for the league minimum for Mario Lemieux, he taught me everything." quote?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 am

I got no problem with Jagr
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bse on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 am

Jagr knows the NBA, he bets every night.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 pm

I have no problem with Jagr, either. All signs are that the whole #JagrWatch was orchestrated by the media more than Jagr and that Shero wasn't ever heavily interested in him, anyway. I hate to say it, but I really have no problem with the Bruins as a whole heading into the Cup Finals. They werent overly dirty, there was little gamesmanship, and they've said the right things (including Marchand saying the Penguins deserved to win Game 3). I'll be pulling for them and Jagr.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I feel completely indifferent towards Jagr. Don't hate him, don't like him. He's a player who moved on.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 pm

“Good defense means that you play the zone, and you play as a five man unit. So if somebody makes a mistake and you don’t play the tight defense, it’s a lot easier for somebody to score because there’s nobody even close,” said Jagr. “But with the type of defense we play if somebody makes a mistake or loses an edge, there’s somebody else close by to stop them. You have to beat five guys and not one guy. That’s why I think it was tougher for Malkin and Crosby because it was a five guy unit."

Ooh. A strategy. Why can't we have one like that here?

And I know exactly what Jagr is talking about because Milbury showed it during an intermission. 5 guys, close together, converging on the puck. It looked reaaally cool.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:58 pm

We almost scored 2 goals in game 3. What more do you need, strategy wise?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rgj on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Who cares what Jagoff Jagr says or thinks?

I sure don't.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:We almost scored 2 goals in game 3. What more do you need, strategy wise?

Almost doesn't count. There is no excuse for 2 goals in the series. I am also not a strategist, but I know that if our PP sucks, change the setup. I don't know, put 2 guys on the net? Try something else. Try to storm the goalie more in general. We couldn't get past their guys. They worked as a unit. Our guys had little support - gaps too wide - and often just flipped the puck at their goalie. Penguins were overwhelmed and I don't think it was the fact that Bruins have a superior roster. I still think we're better on paper. So the only thing that's left is planning. They had a plan to beat us, similar to how the Flyers did it, clogging the middle and forcing us to shoot pucks from the outside without a threat of actually scoring. Keeping us to the outside is a strategy that's been employed by teams for too long now and Dan doesn't seem to have an answer for that. Not to mention the whole thing with them getting under our skin which works, whether it is the Flyers, Islanders, or now Boston. Where is the discipline? That's on the coach too. It seems time has come to take out the whip again, but that can only come with a new coach.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:32 pm

llipgh2 wrote:I feel completely indifferent towards Jagr. Don't hate him, don't like him. He's a player who moved on.

QFT.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm will always be a Jagr fan. He gave his best years to the Pens and everything else is just media drama
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 pm

thepittman wrote:I'm will always be a Jagr fan. He gave his best years to the Pens and everything else is just media drama

:thumb: For sure. His years with the Pens were definitely his best. He gave it all.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 am

So, Jagr has the inside scoop that 5 players as part of a team will beat a single player in a game?

Wait, is Jagr interviewing for Bylsma's job?

(Still have my '92 Jagr jersey)
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am

He went through the same BS in Pittsburgh, being a superstar that won the Cup and then had let down after let down after let down until the Trade.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 am

I thought the B's strategy was a force field?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm

I hate to say this, but he would have been an asset to this the mentality of this team in the playoffs. The reason I say I 'hate' it... I still think they would have lost.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shootinthepuck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Just checking in to voice my continued admiration of Jagr. That is all.
shootinthepuck

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 am

Jagr can go take a long walk off a short pier.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:46 am

Defence21 wrote:I have no problem with Jagr, either. All signs are that the whole #JagrWatch was orchestrated by the media more than Jagr and that Shero wasn't ever heavily interested in him, anyway. I hate to say it, but I really have no problem with the Bruins as a whole heading into the Cup Finals. They werent overly dirty, there was little gamesmanship, and they've said the right things (including Marchand saying the Penguins deserved to win Game 3). I'll be pulling for them and Jagr.

this. if anything you've got to hand it to the Bruins. they really played up the whole "big, bad Bruins" persona during the week off (thanks a lot NHL schedulers) and in the first 2 games of the series had the Pens so preoccupied with taking hits and trying to be "as tough" as the Bruins that the Pens neglected the other parts of their game.
I do take a little issue with the whole "Iginla spurning us was our inspiration" crap. the Bruins were AWFUL right before the trade deadline. any sane star with a choice would've chosen the Pens.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins