Allan Muir of SI tells it like it is

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Allan Muir of SI tells it like it is

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm with Boogeyman. Completely disrespectful to Vokoun. Bylsma's brain must be all scrambled by the embarrassing loss and he is so going crazy inside his mind, he doesn't understand the impact of what he's saying. This has nothing to do with loser Fleury. This is about showing some consideration to the team's playoff MVP this season.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm with Boogeyman. Completely disrespectful to Vokoun. Bylsma's brain must be all scrambled by the embarrassing loss and he is so going crazy inside his mind, he doesn't understand the impact of what he's saying. This has nothing to do with loser Fleury. This is about showing some consideration to the team's playoff MVP this season.

It's pretty obvious that all of the Penguins players have a deep respect for Tommy and the way he carries and himself and what he did for this team this year. And then the head coach comes out and takes a dump all over him. Why? I just don't get it. With each quote and presser, it's really getting difficult to respect him.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:47 pm

A 14 minute press conference, and I don't agree with a single thing he said.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:15 pm

I don't really see how what Bylsma said about Fleury is "throwing Vokoun under the bus".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:17 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't really see how what Bylsma said about Fleury is "throwing Vokoun under the bus".

"Thanks for an unbelievable playoff Tommy and finally giving this team consistent goaltending in the postseason which it has sorely lacked for the past four years; having said that, nothing has changed, enjoy the bench".
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:19 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't really see how what Bylsma said about Fleury is "throwing Vokoun under the bus".

Saying Vokoun isn't going to get that chance again next year because Fleury is going to be our guy isn't disrespectful at all? After Vokoun saved the Pens against the Islanders and was the only Penguin to do his job against Boson Bylsma should have been praising Vokoun until he was blue in the face.

And saying MAF is the number one guy is just a flat out lie. Bylsma certainly doesn't trust him at all. Just BS from him today.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 pm

farnham16 wrote:

Saying Vokoun isn't going to get that chance again next year because Fleury is going to be our guy isn't disrespectful at all? After Vokoun saved the Pens against the Islanders and was the only Penguin to do his job against Boson Bylsma should have been praising Vokoun until he was blue in the face.

And saying MAF is the number one guy is just a flat out lie. Bylsma certainly doesn't trust him at all. Just BS from him today.

You act like Vokoun would care. By all accounts, Vokoun is a team first guy.

Aren't you someone who thinks we could find a trading partner for Fleury? How would it help Fleury's value if Bylsma comes out and says "Man, that Fleury really sucks. I can't believe we're paying him"?

I guess only people with an axe to grind for Bylsma see it that way. Would you have the same reaction if Ray Shero had said it?

I see it as:

1. Making Fleury look good to prospective buyers (again, saying he sucked wouldn't really accomplish much)

2. In the chance that Fleury does play here next year, it's a shot of confidence for a goalie who needs it.

Why would Bylsma do it, though?

3. We have literally 0 other options besides Vokoun who can immediately step into an NHL goaltender position

4. There's no guarantee that Vokoun doesn't suddenly hurt himself and become Brent Johnson next year. There's also no chance Vokoun can still play a 60 game season at his age without the wheels falling off. Are you really prepared for that to happen?

Sorry, but if you expected him to say Fleury sucked, well I guess that's your fault.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:45 pm

1. What's wrong with anger?

There SHOULD be anger when a person doesn't perform to their abilities. Do you get angry with your dumb-as-a-rock child when he pulls a "C" average in school? No. Do you get angry with your intelligent child when he pulls the same "C" average, and you know he can do much much better? Hell yes.

We call this "righteous anger", and it has a place in the world.

This Pens team was supposed to be a Cup contender, and they get sweeped out meekly by a team that is nowhere near better than them, and only arguably close to as good as them. And they lose FOUR in a row? While mustering all of TWO goals???

If you aren't angry at these Penguins, from the players on up through the management, then you either aren't a Pens fan or aren't worth the gunpowder to blow your ass up.

columbia wrote:re: trying to split the defense

Malkin spent most of the season trying to do that (and to little effect).

That's Malkin when he's sucking. Can't really explain it, and TBH I'm done trying. People think it's xenophobic to label him another oddball Russian. But that's what he is. Inexplicable.

When Malkin is using his linemates and working within the framework of a team concept, he can be outstanding. Conn Smythe outstanding.

When he puts on the cape and "S" on his shirt, it's time to watch him fail repeatedly against concerted NHL defenses, and then lash out like a frustrated toddler with harmful penalties for his team to kill.

/shrug
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:46 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

You act like Vokoun would care. By all accounts, Vokoun is a team first guy.

Aren't you someone who thinks we could find a trading partner for Fleury? How would it help Fleury's value if Bylsma comes out and says "Man, that Fleury really sucks. I can't believe we're paying him"?

I guess only people with an axe to grind for Bylsma see it that way. Would you have the same reaction if Ray Shero had said it?

I see it as:

1. Making Fleury look good to prospective buyers (again, saying he sucked wouldn't really accomplish much)

2. In the chance that Fleury does play here next year, it's a shot of confidence for a goalie who needs it.

Why would Bylsma do it, though?

3. We have literally 0 other options besides Vokoun who can immediately step into an NHL goaltender position

4. There's no guarantee that Vokoun doesn't suddenly hurt himself and become Brent Johnson next year. There's also no chance Vokoun can still play a 60 game season at his age without the wheels falling off. Are you really prepared for that to happen?

Sorry, but if you expected him to say Fleury sucked, well I guess that's your fault.

No I don't think he should have said MAF sucked, but he should have been glowing about Vokoun because if Bylsma keeps his job, its because of Vokoun.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:48 pm

In the end, if he's getting fired, why do you care what he thinks about the goalie situation?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:In the end, if he's getting fired, why do you care what he thinks about the goalie situation?

I really don't. I just think it was a little disrespectful to Vokoun the way he put things. That's what I'm put off by.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevo on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:15 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
Stevo wrote:My only edukational achievement being a high school diploma

You don't say?

you make me look smart.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stevo on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
Stevo wrote:My only edukational achievement being a high school diploma

You don't say?

I assuming that was done on purpose.

But carpentry by "Trial and Error"? Would you mind telling me the buildings you erected the first few years of your apprenticeship? I'd like to avoid them. :pop:

Bingo on your first assumption.

Your second statement is a little dense. My point was HCDB needs shown the door.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 am

penmyst wrote:1. What's wrong with anger?

There SHOULD be anger when a person doesn't perform to their abilities. Do you get angry with your dumb-as-a-rock child when he pulls a "C" average in school? No. Do you get angry with your intelligent child when he pulls the same "C" average, and you know he can do much much better? Hell yes.

This Pens team was supposed to be a Cup contender, and they get sweeped out meekly by a team that is nowhere near better than them, and only arguably close to as good as them. And they lose FOUR in a row? While mustering all of TWO goals???

If you aren't angry at these Penguins, from the players on up through the management, then you either aren't a Pens fan or aren't worth the gunpowder to blow your ass up.

The people who should be angry are people who work for the Penguins organization.

I was disappointed. I was even angry after the game, and for a while the next morning. Then, I looked around at all the stuff I have going on in my life and moved on. "Righteous anger"? Over a hockey game? Are you freaking serious?

"Perspective". Try it sometime.

ETA: And spare me the speech about how I'm not a real fan.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Guinness wrote:
penmyst wrote:1. What's wrong with anger?

The people who should be angry are people who work for the Penguins organization.

I was disappointed. I was even angry after the game, and for a while the next morning. Then, I looked around at all the stuff I have going on in my life and moved on. "Righteous anger"? Over a hockey game? Are you freaking serious?

"Perspective". Try it sometime.

ETA: And spare me the speech about how I'm not a real fan.

Get over yourself.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Boogeyman wrote:
Get over yourself.

The irony...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch