Giles Meloche Resigns

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Giles Meloche Resigns

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
Godric wrote:I thought this was "re-signs"

I was about to shoot myself.

:thumb: ha-ha ... I just did!

you just shot yourself?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Given Meloche's history with the franchise, the Pens gave him the opportunity to resign and save face.

To me, this is a sign everyone else will be fired.

Meloche is apparently close friends with Mario and that's how he landed the goalie coach gig to begin with. Definitely a "saving face" move.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:12 am

Resign, save face. Get fired, your youth goaltending clinic takes a hit.

Either way, goodbye.

Butt. Door. Don't let them meet.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:17 am

It'd be a shame to lose Fleury without seeing what he could've done with a different goalie coach.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 am

MRandall25 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:When Mike Yeo was took off the power play everyone rejoiced.......just saying.

Gilles Meloche was a terrible goaltender. There's only room for improvement.

Meloche was actually a pretty good goaltender on some hideous Oakland teams. Not sure what his playing ability has anything to do with his ability to coach. Most successful coaches were journeyman players at best.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 am

When the Pens drafted Fleury I posted here that they should go after then Coyotes goaltending coach Benoit Allaire. He had turned Sean Burke into a Vezina candidate and an All Star as well as Nik Khabibulin. Instead the Rangers snatched him up to work with Henrik Lundqvist, who is now regarded as one of the top goalies in the league. But what do I know?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25784
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 am

pens_CT wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:When Mike Yeo was took off the power play everyone rejoiced.......just saying.

Gilles Meloche was a terrible goaltender. There's only room for improvement.

Meloche was actually a pretty good goaltender on some hideous Oakland teams. Not sure what his playing ability has anything to do with his ability to coach. Most successful coaches were journeyman players at best.

Yeah, there's not always a correlation. However, the lack of progression with every goaltender that's been under his care is enough for me to want him gone - and I've wanted him gone for a while.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 am

"Tomas, I don't think, is in any different boat than he was when he came in here for last season," Bylsma said. "He's a guy who makes our goaltending tandem a very good one. He's going to play games for us, big games for us. He came in and did for us exactly what we signed him for last year.

"Next year, he's not going to get that opportunity [to become the starter] because Marc-Andre Fleury's going to be in net winning hockey games."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2VoOPiG4W
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 am

columbia wrote:
"Tomas, I don't think, is in any different boat than he was when he came in here for last season," Bylsma said. "He's a guy who makes our goaltending tandem a very good one. He's going to play games for us, big games for us. He came in and did for us exactly what we signed him for last year.

"Next year, he's not going to get that opportunity [to become the starter] because Marc-Andre Fleury's going to be in net winning hockey games."

There's loyalty and then there's stupidity.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bh on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 am

columbia wrote:

ouch. what a thing to say.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 am

so i guess the thought is that fleury needs all this unconditional support to regain his confidence for next year.

another way to say that is that fleury is a hopeless headcase
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:05 am

This bizarre speech came after Fleury was asked if the coaching staff lost confidence in him. His barely audible "I don't know...Gilles and I had a good talk" comment led the writers to think MAF felt they did.

And then DB comes out with this baffling, Vokoun insulting speech. He (DB) also looked like he was in heavily sedated the entire presser. Maybe it was drugs talking... :lol:
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 am

columbia wrote:

Open mouth, insert foot.

How much more are we going to have to tolerate? Look I like the guy, feel bad for him, but he is just not cutting it - on or off the ice.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 am

I don't understand why everyone says that they like the guy. What do you like about him? That he's stubborn or that his arrogance runs the team that you love into inevitable playoff demise every year?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:16 am

Yeah, I don't know where the whole "good guy" thing comes from.

Watching DB on 24/7, In the Room, in pressers...he has always come across to me as an arrogant little pr*ck.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 am

Which is fine, I don't need to like the coach, but its not at all hard for me to want him gone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Which is fine, I don't need to like the coach, but its not at all hard for me to want him gone.

Exactly.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 am

columbia wrote:"Next year, he's not going to get that opportunity [to become the starter] because Marc-Andre Fleury's going to be in net winning hockey games."

Wow, **** you Dan Bylsma.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 am

llipgh2 wrote:This bizarre speech came after Fleury was asked if the coaching staff lost confidence in him. His barely audible "I don't know...Gilles and I had a good talk" comment led the writers to think MAF felt they did.

And then DB comes out with this baffling, Vokoun insulting speech. He (DB) also looked like he was in heavily sedated the entire presser. Maybe it was drugs talking... :lol:

DB's comments are entirely tone deaf. I'm sure there is an ulterior motive, but we're at the point where what you see is what you get. The guy has fallen flat on his face for a few years running now, and he'll turn 29 in 5 months' time.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:56 am

Tfrizz has to be pumped right now.

Edit: saw you posted above :thumb:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 am

pfim wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:This bizarre speech came after Fleury was asked if the coaching staff lost confidence in him. His barely audible "I don't know...Gilles and I had a good talk" comment led the writers to think MAF felt they did.

DB's comments are entirely tone deaf. I'm sure there is an ulterior motive, but we're at the point where what you see is what you get. The guy has fallen flat on his face for a few years running now, and he'll turn 29 in 5 months' time.

I read some people claiming this was to increase his value or showcase him for a trade (Madden among them -- "shine him up for the shop window").

"So Fleury has been the worst playoff goalie for 4 years now and he largely been average to slightly above average in the regular season since the Cup runs. But now that Bylsma said he is still the #1? I MUST HAVE HIM." - No NHL GM ever
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:03 am

Why are people so defensive of Tomas Vokoun? People are ready to erect a statue over one playoff run that ended in utter disaster (not his fault).
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 am

slappybrown wrote:I read some people claiming this was to increase his value or showcase him for a trade (Madden among them -- "shine him up for the shop window").

"So Fleury has been the worst playoff goalie for 4 years now and he largely been average to slightly above average in the regular season since the Cup runs. But now that Bylsma said he is still the #1? I MUST HAVE HIM." - No NHL GM ever

It's not as if these teams don't have people watching the games, or couldn't easily re-watch tape. What Dan Bylsma says in an exit interview is completely irrelevant to his worth on the trade market.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am

Crankshaft wrote:Why are people so defensive of Tomas Vokoun? People are ready to erect a statue over one playoff run that ended in utter disaster (not his fault).

Because Bylsma basically threw him under the bus in his exit interview. It's not that big of a deal I guess, but it just annoys me I guess. If it wasn't for Vokoun we don't even get out of the first round and Bylsma is for sure canned. Danny Boy should be thanking Vokoun for helping him keep as job as long as he did.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:14 am

Agreed Skull. Db's comments come off weak. Without Vokoun DB and the Pens are probably losing in the first round. Without Vokoun DB is already fired most likely.

He is taking what Vokoun did for this team for granted. Seeing those comments want him gone even more.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins