DB endorses Flower?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

DB endorses Flower?

Postby nhl94 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 am

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... L|PIT|home

Do these two have some kind of special closet relationship that is starting to come out more and more?

It's pretty obvious that Flower isn't an elite goalie and always been avg at best (just look at his annual stats). My point is that he isn't 'Pens-material' and a costly mistake, and it's pretty damn obvious now. He basically slapped Vokoun in the face in that article, what a joke.

Any conclusion on this?

-DB giving Flower another hope for one more season before they decide to cut him off?
-DB speaking from top management and taking the hit for false hope?
-DB protecting a costly mistake and covering it up?
-Flower is a super nice guy and DB has the hots for him?
-All of these above?
nhl94

Re: DB endorses Flower?

Postby PAPLine on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm

The article said he had a "stellar" regular season. I suppose that .910 and 2.66 are stellar for him. It goes on to say, in essence, that he fell apart in the playoffs, even though he "didn't change anything from game 1". Technique-wise he did change things, he started swimming in the crease and I think knocked in a goal or two himself. The article and apparently HCDB fail to recognize that this was a problem last year, and the year before, and the year before.
If he is to be retained, they really need to get him to a schrink to fix what ever it is that happens to him in the playoffs.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm

PAPLine wrote:The article said he had a "stellar" regular season. I suppose that .910 and 2.66 are stellar for him. It goes on to say, in essence, that he fell apart in the playoffs, even though he "didn't change anything from game 1". Technique-wise he did change things, he started swimming in the crease and I think knocked in a goal or two himself. The article and apparently HCDB fail to recognize that this was a problem last year, and the year before, and the year before.
If he is to be retained, they really need to get him to a schrink to fix what ever it is that happens to him in the playoffs.

.910 and 2.66 are his career averages; he had a .916 sv% and 2.39 GAA this season, put him 21st in sv% and 17th in GAA out of the 50 goalies with at least 14 games played.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... ageLeaders

Last season he ranked 27th in sv% (.913) and 12th in GAA (2.36) out of 45 goalies with at least 25 games played, and in 2010-11 he ranked 15th in sv% (.918) and 9th in GAA (2.32) out of 47 goalies with at least 25 games played.

Generally speaking, he's been above average in GAA and average to above average in sv% compared to his peers over the past 3 regular seasons.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Fluery fits with the right team, but not this one, as constructed. Bylsma, Malkin, Letang, Fluery and, to a lesser extent, Crosby, are all high-risk-high-reward types. I think at least two need to go to restore "balance to the force." If you install a more defensive system and get rid of Letang, you would see a better and more consistent Fluery. Meloche's resignation can only help.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:37 pm

In a related story, Fleury has stated that Dan Bylsma is an elite coach, and had a stellar season. Fleury went on to say that Bylsma is the franchise coach for the forseeable future.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:49 pm

What exactly was DB supposed to say?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Gaucho wrote:What exactly was DB supposed to say?

"I can imagine a rather healthy competition during the next regular season."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 pm

columbia wrote:

Ok, works for me.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 pm

"Your sitchy-ation is... pretty nigh hopeless."
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:00 pm

They're like a group of children washing away any blame and sticking together in a group where it's safer. They did the right things, they weren't shut down (Sid must have really hit his head hard), just bad luck.. that's all. Bylsma saying Vokoun will not get a chance to play next year because Fleury will (he must see into the future.. nah, all these losers are just herding). This team is a disaster. Now I can see why they lose it and go berserk when things don't go their way. Entitled and spoiled.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:

Ok, works for me.

Even if it's not the case? The starting goalie isn't really the coach's decision most of the time. If the Pens have decided to go with Fleury next season, it's best to end the controversy and set proper expectations right away. Vokoun knew the situation when he signed with the Pens.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Well, its irrelevant when HCDB gets fired tomorrow anyway, amirite?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Nothing
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:42 pm

He should have said, "Ask Marc-Andre."
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm

tfrizz wrote:
PAPLine wrote:The article said he had a "stellar" regular season. I suppose that .910 and 2.66 are stellar for him. It goes on to say, in essence, that he fell apart in the playoffs, even though he "didn't change anything from game 1". Technique-wise he did change things, he started swimming in the crease and I think knocked in a goal or two himself. The article and apparently HCDB fail to recognize that this was a problem last year, and the year before, and the year before.

.910 and 2.66 are his career averages; he had a .916 sv% and 2.39 GAA this season, put him 21st in sv% and 17th in GAA out of the 50 goalies with at least 14 games played.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... ageLeaders

Last season he ranked 27th in sv% (.913) and 12th in GAA (2.36) out of 45 goalies with at least 25 games played, and in 2010-11 he ranked 15th in sv% (.918) and 9th in GAA (2.32) out of 47 goalies with at least 25 games played.

Generally speaking, he's been above average in GAA and average to above average in sv% compared to his peers over the past 3 regular seasons.

Average and above average aren't good enough for a supposed Franchise goalie. You can get those kind of numbers with Vokoun or some other goalie on the open market for cheaper prices.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 pm

i still dont know why he keeps boasting about flower and that he is the franchise's number 1 goalie. He is clearly one of the team's weakest links. Maybe someone told him to live with flower or leave.
nhl94

Postby Steve on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:56 pm

I think MAF was better than average last season, I thought he was quite good (and I'm obviously only referring to the regular season). He bailed out our leaky defense all season long. He seemed to be pretty good this season as well.

Regular season isn't the problem - I still believe MAF is done with the Pens, regardless of what DB said. And when did DB throw Vokoun under the bus? I don't get that, maybe I missed some comments.

I think it would be better for our club, and for MAF, for him to start fresh somewhere else. Again, the great thing, is that Shero isn't going to let some Luongo type situation hang over the pens - he'll move quickly on this, one way or the other. Perhaps he already has, and I'm wrong about MAF.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Shero said today replacing 40+ wins a season isn't easy, and, really, is he wrong? Who's out there who could come in and take on that load? You can't worry about performing well in the playoffs if you struggle to make them or, worse, don't make them at all.

Also, Shero said he talked with Fleury at length and gave him a list of things he must to do this offseason, presumably to improve mechanically and mentally, to test his commitment to his work, and as a condition to staying with the team. I do think a new goalie coach will help. Martin Brodeur still relies on a goalie coach; the right goalie coach can matter.

Fleury is not done with the Pens. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby letsgoalpens on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Steve wrote:I think MAF was better than average last season, I thought he was quite good (and I'm obviously only referring to the regular season). He bailed out our leaky defense all season long. He seemed to be pretty good this season as well.

Regular season isn't the problem - I still believe MAF is done with the Pens, regardless of what DB said. And when did DB throw Vokoun under the bus? I don't get that, maybe I missed some comments.

I think it would be better for our club, and for MAF, for him to start fresh somewhere else. Again, the great thing, is that Shero isn't going to let some Luongo type situation hang over the pens - he'll move quickly on this, one way or the other. Perhaps he already has, and I'm wrong about MAF.

If he is willing to let this happen with our coach he will let this happen with our goaltending. With Bylsma being brough back I fully expect us to ride or die with Fleury next year, which makes me very uncomfortable. Fleury's playoff performances have had the same path as Bylsma's. If DB is being held accountable there is no reason for me to think MAF will be. In fact the only consistent bright spot for the penguins throughout the playoffs was the play of Vokoun, something DB had little to do with. I was actually interested to see what Fleury might look like if we got a new coach but chose to keep Fleury around. I will expect the same playoff flameout for both the penguins and fleury. I think this season will probably be the final nail in the coffin for Fleury's career as a starting goaltender.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Pitt87 wrote:Well, its irrelevant when HCDB gets fired tomorrow anyway, amirite?

Or not. But Fleury is changing his summer training routine. That should help a lot.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:23 pm

If we don't go into next season with Vokoun as our number 1 I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

This is two straight years of absolutely pathetic first round performances by Fleury. We got farther this year than last year BECAUSE of Vokoun.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:If we don't go into next season with Vokoun as our number 1 I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Prepare to be sorely disappointed then. Everything that the management and coaching staff has said basically guarantees that he's going to be the number 1 again.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:56 pm

maybe im taking this too far, but this clearly doesnt make sense. I think the franchise is playing nice and quiet for something bigger later like a trade, etc...
nhl94

Postby nhl94 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:If we don't go into next season with Vokoun as our number 1 I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Prepare to be sorely disappointed then. Everything that the management and coaching staff has said basically guarantees that he's going to be the number 1 again.

Hope you are being sarcastic and not naive...
nhl94

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 pm

nhl94 wrote:maybe im taking this too far, but this clearly doesnt make sense. I think the franchise is playing nice and quiet for something bigger later like a trade, etc...

You're taking this way to far. This team has done nothing to show that they are going to push the panic button and trade Marc-Andre Fleury at this point. With Bylsma re-signed, they're going to press the reset button and move along with Fleury, as planned. Just like they are with Bylsma.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins