Jerome Iginla

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jerome Iginla: Thoughts

1.Try to sign him
44%
2.Let him walk
56%

Total votes : 126

Re: Jerome Iginla

Postby topshelf on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:14 pm

If he's willing to take a cut to stay, then keep him by all means.

I think Iginla looked slow/sluggish compared to his line mates due to conditioning issues. Iginla's statement that he believes he'll "have a better year" next year tells me that he is looking to address these issues.

The guy is a hall of famer, a great leader, and the guy you want in the locker room. If he can get his game up a notch, and is willing to take a cut, then why not?

We may have extra cash, too, if Kennedy walks. Kennedy plays with heart and whatnot, but he's not a $2 mil/year guy.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:I'd like a 3rd option please: sign him at a fair number for his expected contribution. Hard to give a take it or leave it answer without a cap hit number. For example, if the question were whether to sign him at or above Dupuis' market number, I choose let him walk.

Fair enough.

I don't think I can change the poll after the fact tho.

Anyway, if you would like Iginla on the team, but at a cap friendly price, then in my book you would like to have him back.

Personally, I wouldn't take him on our team if he paid the Pens to play for them. I think he is a square peg in a round hole, and EXTREMELY overrated as a player. I cannot wait for him to go.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Rugbymuffin wrote:Personally, I wouldn't take him on our team if he paid the Pens to play for them. I think he is a square peg in a round hole, and EXTREMELY overrated as a player. I cannot wait for him to go.

To each his own, but I'd never consider Iginla to be overrated at all. He's been consistently above average his entire career on some pretty mediocre teams.

Like I said, though, to each his own.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Nothing about Iginla's game impressed me in any way. Goodbye.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Rugbymuffin wrote:
Dr Rosenrosen wrote:I'd like a 3rd option please: sign him at a fair number for his expected contribution. Hard to give a take it or leave it answer without a cap hit number. For example, if the question were whether to sign him at or above Dupuis' market number, I choose let him walk.

Fair enough.

I don't think I can change the poll after the fact tho.

Anyway, if you would like Iginla on the team, but at a cap friendly price, then in my book you would like to have him back.

Personally, I wouldn't take him on our team if he paid the Pens to play for them. I think he is a square peg in a round hole, and EXTREMELY overrated as a player. I cannot wait for him to go.

It won't happen, but what if he agreed to play for $2MM? Tougher call, right?
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:59 pm

If he takes significantly less then I would keep him. He wanted to be here. Put him where he belongs, on RW and let him play on the top power play. Let him play with Sid...

Sid/Iginla
Malkin/Neal

I would look to move Kunitz as well. Kunitz for Bernier is something I've thrown around a few times because I think it makes sense!

David Clarkson wouldn't look bad on the top 6...We need to get bigger, younger and tougher IMO...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:00 pm

topshelf wrote:
Rugbymuffin wrote:Personally, I wouldn't take him on our team if he paid the Pens to play for them. I think he is a square peg in a round hole, and EXTREMELY overrated as a player. I cannot wait for him to go.

To each his own, but I'd never consider Iginla to be overrated at all. He's been consistently above average his entire career on some pretty mediocre teams.

Like I said, though, to each his own.

I wouldn't consider his career to be overrated, but with what we were expecting him to bring to the Pens this spring and what he delivered, yes, he was overrated. Granted, we all think he was misused, but he's not fast enough to be Sid's winger at this stage in his career.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:03 pm

KG wrote:I would look to move Kunitz as well. Kunitz for Bernier is something I've thrown around a few times because I think it makes sense!

No way is Kunitz worth Bernier.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

So...

Jarome sucks.
Trade Kunitz.

You people are insane.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
KG wrote:I would look to move Kunitz as well. Kunitz for Bernier is something I've thrown around a few times because I think it makes sense!

No way...Young potential #1 goalie for an old 34 year old power forward. I'd make that deal all day long...nice cap savings as well.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Kovy27 wrote:So...

Jarome sucks.
Trade Kunitz.

You people are insane.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:51 pm

KG wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

No way...Young potential #1 goalie for an old 34 year old power forward. I'd make that deal all day long...nice cap savings as well.

The Kings don't have the cap space. Voynov is going to get a nice raise.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Saying he will sign in Dallas is probably based on the fact that Dallas has a tendency to offer prime years money to past their prime vets. That said, they have a new GM for a reason.

You mean the guy who just signed Gonchar to a 2/yr 10 million dollar contract? Iggy to Dallas.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 pm

pugilist13 wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:Saying he will sign in Dallas is probably based on the fact that Dallas has a tendency to offer prime years money to past their prime vets. That said, they have a new GM for a reason.

You mean the guy who just signed Gonchar to a 2/yr 10 million dollar contract? Iggy to Dallas.

That's pretty much the going rate for a vet of Gonchar's caliber, yes?
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shootinthepuck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 pm

At the right price I'd love Iggy back for a 3rd line role. I don't understand why he is getting such criticism. Circumstances being what they were I thought he held his own until the ECF. He is to be a support guy, not a team carrier, even though we don't have any of those these days...maybe they'll come back and Iggy can just do his thing.
shootinthepuck

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 pm

I am probably in the few that actually would not mind him staying. I think he would be useful in some capacity on this team at the right price.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

He's going to have to take a cut on that 7m salary & some team (Dallas? Phoenix? NYI?) could overpay for him. I see it as contingent on whether or not he is still chasing the Cup dream and likes the atmosphere around this team.

My opinion is that the Pens should try to get him back. He was virtually a point a game player since the deadline and in the playoffs until the ECF. Yeah, he was shut down by Boston and played poorly but so did everyone else except for Vokoun.

If he signs, play him on the correct side & I think he can score 30 goals next year.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am

This should be asked with an asterik

Does keeping him mean that he can actually be used the way he should have been used at the position he played all his life? RIGHT WING!

If that is the case yes get him signed. If he is going to be used on the left wing because James Neal is even slower than he is then no, I don't want it.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:45 am

I think we should try to sign him at least, but it's up to him if he wants to play for the amount we would offer. Maybe he gets a 1-2 year deal for like 2-3 million. I figure we will either be signing Iginla at around that price or Dupuis. Can we afford both? I don't know how the cap looks, but of course if we trade Fleury or Letang..........
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:19 am

Keep Jerome!!!

He is the right handed shot on the power play that this team has lacked for years. What a shame that Bylsma failed to utilize him properly. Bylsma will be gone next season and someone who knows how to coach a power play will be here. Iggy wanted to come here, chose Pittsburgh. He's a stand up guy who would be a great role model for Beau Bennett. They should keep him.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Keep Jerome!!!

He is the right handed shot on the power play that this team has lacked for years. What a shame that Bylsma failed to utilize him properly. Bylsma will be gone next season and someone who knows how to coach a power play will be here. Iggy wanted to come here, chose Pittsburgh. He's a stand up guy who would be a great role model for Beau Bennett. They should keep him.

I agree, and I've been thinking the same thing about about him and Bennett. Have Iggy teach Bennett how to play that side of the ice on the PP so we'll have a right handed threat for the foreseeable future.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 pm

My expectations of Iginla weren't inflated to begin with, so I was never disappointed in his play. I thought the little things he did added up to a lot, and his production was pretty good until the entire team was shut down. His conditioning would need to improve to continue playing under DB.

It's hard to see him getting re-signed unless he does so at a significant discount. He's worth more than his production would suggest as his name can generate buzz, interest and ticket sales; however, those attributes don't add value in Pittsburgh because this team is already saturated in star buzz and league interest.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GreenLantern on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I think Iggy gets re-signed, hopefully Pitts has a coach that can use him next year. I liked regular season Iginla, but playoffs Iginla was a snooze fest.

He never really did look fully comfortable, but with the Pens revamped coaching staff next year I have a feeling he will still produce at a great clip. I think he spends the off season really working on his speed (something he never needed in Calgary's system) and comes back next year revitalized.

You don't score 10 consistent 30 goal seasons in this league and just one day turn into a bad player, he will be back and he will be fine. Like I have said before Iginla is a conditioning beast, nobody is more upset with his performance in the last round than him and he will use it as fuel for the training fire this off season.
GreenLantern

Postby Rugbymuffin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:It won't happen, but what if he agreed to play for $2MM? Tougher call, right?

For me ?

No.

For people that understand hockey better than me ? Probably a tougher call.

To my extremely inexperienced eyes, he seems overrated, and a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. I'd rather put Beau Bennett out there.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rugbymuffin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:54 pm

GreenLantern wrote:I think Iggy gets re-signed, hopefully Pitts has a coach that can use him next year. I liked regular season Iginla, but playoffs Iginla was a snooze fest.

He never really did look fully comfortable, but with the Pens revamped coaching staff next year I have a feeling he will still produce at a great clip. I think he spends the off season really working on his speed (something he never needed in Calgary's system) and comes back next year revitalized.

You don't score 10 consistent 30 goal seasons in this league and just one day turn into a bad player, he will be back and he will be fine. Like I have said before Iginla is a conditioning beast, nobody is more upset with his performance in the last round than him and he will use it as fuel for the training fire this off season.

I feel the "he wasn't used right" is a valid arguement.

My retort is, If he is so good, shouldn't he be able to play anywhere on the ice ?
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins