I know most dont like Madden

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

I know most dont like Madden

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 am

But I was listening to his show earlier and he was talking about Cooke. Man he does not like him. He said that he heard straight from the Penguins players that they were tired of cleaning up Cooke's mess. Madden told this to the Boston media, it got back to Cooke, and now Cooke is mad at Madden......

This is the stuff they were worrying about during the Boston series?? Makes you wonder.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I know most dont like Madden

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:06 am

If this is to be true. I can see them being upset at his reputation and not him as a person/teamate. Cooke is a profesional and it should be treated that way
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby owtahear on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39 am

I like Cooke and he is a good player. But he is now too much trouble than he is worth. Stuff just follows him whether his fault or not.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am

I can see why they don't like Cooke, considering he made them look bad with his consistent play.

Sounds like utter crap from Madden.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 am

I look forward to Cooke (hopefully) being around for a couple more years. :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 am

Madden is just the ultimate troll. What is so great is that everyone knows he's doing it and still run right into it. The guy really is an incredible entertainer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 am

This has no legs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am

I actually find him very entertaining to listen to. But I agree, I hope the Pens sign cooke.

But for him to say players actually said they are tired of dealing with his stuff, is pretty bold, if not true.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 am

As Idoit said, Madden is the ulimate troll.

He made something up, and it's getting traction. Just what he wanted.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:21 am

I think Cooke is gone.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 am

Can we make a board rule to never quote or discuss anything Madden utters? You could fit that guy's hockey knowledge in a thimble and still get your finger inside.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 am

Madden is knowledgeable about hockey. He's just more knowledgeable about getting ratings and that also happens to be his priority.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:29 am

pfim wrote:I can see why they don't like Cooke, considering he made them look bad with his consistent play.

:fist:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Madden is knowledgeable about hockey. He's just more knowledgeable about getting ratings and that also happens to be his priority.

Your first statement is questionable at best. He's a regurgitator, that is all. Anything he talks about hockey-wise is stolen from someone else. Drumming up drama and pumping up ratings is definitely his specialty. He'd be a good hype man at a strip club, which I'm sure he has applied for before.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:51 am

Cook has done a lot to clean up his act, but he suffers from Dave Schultz syndrome, as long as he does he might not be worth the aggravation.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 am

since1970 wrote:Cook has done a lot to clean up his act, but he suffers from Dave Schultz syndrome, as long as he does he might not be worth the aggravation.

I dosen't matter what or who we have there will always be a villian on the Pens,

Ruutu, Cooke, Asham, Vitale?......
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 am

pfim wrote:I can see why they don't like Cooke, considering he made them look bad with his consistent play.

He also called him the best player in the NYI series and noted his consistency against OTT. His listenership goes way down when hockey ends, so not surprising he finds new things to blow up.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:10 am

.......I felt for Schultz when he was here, it was comical. He'd hit the ice and seemingly skate close by one of the opposition and get whistled for 2, after a while it did border on the absurd, but his rep was already made and that's what you had to deal with if he was on your team.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tyler Durden on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:10 am

The biggest problem with Madden is that he speaks as fan boy too much. He thinks there is a divide amongst fans regarding Sid and Gino and does his best to try and exacerbate this supposed divide. He'll blast any player who doesn't come on his show but if a player does Madden's show, that player can do no wrong. It's kind of disturbing that he refers to Pens players as his "friends." He shouldn't be jock-sniffing. It's creepy and it also interferes with what little objectivity he has.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 am

meow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Madden is knowledgeable about hockey. He's just more knowledgeable about getting ratings and that also happens to be his priority.

Your first statement is questionable at best. He's a regurgitator, that is all. Anything he talks about hockey-wise is stolen from someone else. Drumming up drama and pumping up ratings is definitely his specialty. He'd be a good hype man at a strip club, which I'm sure he has applied for before.

We are all regurgitating what we have learned about hockey. Do you claim to have original thoughts about a game played for that length of time?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am

I guess I am in the minority here then. I think he knows quite a bit about hockey. At least he puts effort in is. What other host in Pittsburgh talks as much hockey?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 am

I think Madden is pretty knowledgeable as well, he just has an annoying schtick, but hey its gets him ratings so he must be doing something right.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 am

Cooke is a sad story. Before all the suspensions, he was our pest. He was the guy that rubbed everyone the wrong way. He can't or doesn't even try to anymore because he just ends up in the box automatically. It's a shame because he's got a lot of other pluses, but at this point I wonder whether someone else could fit in his role.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am

headh wrote:
meow wrote:

We are all regurgitating what we have learned about hockey. Do you claim to have original thoughts about a game played for that length of time?

What are you talking about? I'm not claiming to have uncovered some new and exciting hockey information. I'm saying Madden either makes things up or takes other's professional journalism ideas and pawns them off as his own.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

meow wrote:
headh wrote:
meow wrote:

What are you talking about? I'm not claiming to have uncovered some new and exciting hockey information. I'm saying Madden either makes things up or takes other's professional journalism ideas and pawns them off as his own.

oh. Your point is so unthinkable..... I thought you meant he was regurgitating what he learned from players or coaches about the game itself.

(Excluding former NHL players) There isn't one writer, television personality or radio guy in this city who knows more about hockey than Madden. Not one.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins