Malkin wants to stay for-eh-ver

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin wants to stay for-eh-ver

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:41 am

http://triblive.com/mobile/4164497-96/m ... n-penguins

Washington's Alex Ovechkin — the only player other than Malkin in this era to have at one time supplanted Crosby as the acknowledged “best in the world” — costs the most annually against the cap at $9.58 million.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Malkin wants to stay for-eh-ver

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 am

With the salaries discussed for Malkin, Letang, and Dupuis in that article there is NO way we can afford all three of them plus Crosby, Neal, Fleury, etc.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 am

4 year deal for Dupuis is too long....IMO
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:39 am

MarioLives wrote:4 year deal for Dupuis is too long....IMO

Much rather see a 3yr deal max for Dupes. They may have to pay a little more up-front but 4 yrs for a guy that is 34 is pretty risky. He hits the UFA market and there's no telling how much he could get.......4mil might not be out of the question because teams pay a real premium in that market.

If they can get him for 3-3.5yr for 3 years....great. I can see Allan Walsh, who is a good, serious agent, advising him to test the market. Dupuis has a lot of kids these days :D and his career will be ending in the not too distant future. This is his last chance to cash-in and a chance that very few 34 year old wingers have at this stage of their careers. If he goes for the $$$$ elsewhere, I sure wouldn't blame the guy, but really hope he stays.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:48 am

brwi wrote:

Much rather see a 3yr deal max for Dupes. They may have to pay a little more up-front but 4 yrs for a guy that is 34 is pretty risky. He hits the UFA market and there's no telling how much he could get.......4mil might not be out of the question because teams pay a real premium in that market.

If they can get him for 3-3.5yr for 3 years....great. I can see Allan Walsh, who is a good, serious agent, advising him to test the market. Dupuis has a lot of kids these days :D and his career will be ending in the not too distant future. This is his last chance to cash-in and a chance that very few 34 year old wingers have at this stage of their careers. If he goes for the $$$$ elsewhere, I sure wouldn't blame the guy, but really hope he stays.

You got to figure Duper is not going to fall off the earth in 4 years, with the new CBA you could still sign him to a 4 year 9 million deal. You just pay him 3 - 3 - 1.5 - 1.5. If his talents are not there in that 3rd year he would still be a servicable 3rd liner.

Malkin you could pay 9 million for 8 years, 72 million i think is fair. Granted another team could pay him 10-11 a year.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:12 am

If it keeps him on Sid's line at $3.5 mil or under, have at it, Hoss.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 am

If Dupuis wants a 4 year contract, I think a 4 year/$9 million total contract is fair.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 am

$10 million/3 years would be great. He's worth way more than $9 million/4 years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:46 am

He would have to give up money to get that 4th year from us, imo. Usually isn't Shero's move to do 3, let alone 4 years if it isn't the "core" if you will.

If we offer him a 3 year deal at ~10 million and he says I want a 4th year, Shero's counter should be 4 years at ~10 million.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 am

Four year deal makes sense if it reduces the cap number in the last two years, as others have suggested. I think it's a reasonable assumption that he'll be a contributor for all four years of the contract even if his role changes.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 am

Beveridge wrote:He would have to give up money to get that 4th year from us, imo. Usually isn't Shero's move to do 3, let alone 4 years if it isn't the "core" if you will.

If we offer him a 3 year deal at ~10 million and he says I want a 4th year, Shero's counter should be 4 years at ~10 million.

So he'd play a year for free?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am

pfim wrote:
Beveridge wrote:He would have to give up money to get that 4th year from us, imo. Usually isn't Shero's move to do 3, let alone 4 years if it isn't the "core" if you will.

So he'd play a year for free?

In the most watered down version of viewing that, yeah I guess that's what it is.

My point was either he gets 3 years making 3.3 million a year or 4 years making 2.5 a year. I think Dupuis would have to give up salary to get that 4th year. I could say 3 years at 10 million or 4 years at 12 million if that makes it more kosher.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 am

Of course he wouldn't take that. If you want to compare 10/3, you go to 11/4 or 12/4, not 10/4.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am

I like what Dupuis has done, but there is no way he gets $3+ million from the Penguins.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 am

3 year 10 million works i think. (3.33 cap hit)

You would want to front load the first year at 5 million since Genos new deal won't kick in for another season. Then 2.5 for the last 2 years. 4 year deal i would offer 4 years 11 million i would go 4 for the first year 2.5 for the nxt 2 years then 2 million the last season.

4 years 11 mill. would be a 2.75 cap hit.

With the new CBA if a player retires or is let go does the cap hit remain with the club, i can't remember how that works.

In a perfect world 3 years 8 million(2.66 hit) would be ideal. I think Shero will let Dupuis test the market then see if the pens offer is in his ball park. This is dupers chance to set him and is family for life. If he odes test the open market i think you could see him get a 4 a season for 3 or 4 years type deal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:With the salaries discussed for Malkin, Letang, and Dupuis in that article there is NO way we can afford all three of them plus Crosby, Neal, Fleury, etc.

Its Rossi, he's pulling these numbers out of thin air
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 pm

no name wrote:3 year 10 million works i think. (3.33 cap hit)

With the new CBA if a player retires or is let go does the cap hit remain with the club, i can't remember how that works.

Dupuis could retire and have his cap hit come off the books since he's under 35. Theres no such thing as "letting a player go" in the NHL (aka release). They have to trade or send him to the minors (he'd have to clear waivers).
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Crankshaft wrote:If Dupuis wants a 4 year contract, I think a 4 year/$9 million total contract is fair.

Would never happen in a million years.

Dupuis and a four deal will fetch a minimum of 14-16 million dollars over the term.

4 years and 9 mill...I see some saying 3 years and 10 mill....none of those are even close to getting a deal done with Dupuis.

He is the third most valuable forward on this team behind 87 and 71...Chris Kunitz makes how much? See what I mean?

There are a ton of wingers out there who are making 4 plus million per year WITHOUT Duper's speed and late fountain of youth scoring ability.
So keep on dreaming of signing Dupuis to a silly number that will never happen. The Pens will have to pony up or he will be wearing a different sweater.

I will add they better make him a priority...you can do so many things with speed. I would rather have a 30 goal guy who is lightning fast and plays both ends of the ice like a maniac...can play short handed...etc etc...just an overall versatile player...over a SLOW 40 goal scorer who is basically a one dimensional hockey player...that has only a decent shot to hang the hat on and has two gears of slow and slower...

Sound familiar? This was just a quick Dupuis/Neal comparison if you hadn't already guessed that.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 am

4 mil a year average or he's playing in Minnesota.
And that was regarding Dupuis... Funny how threads get sidetracked.

Back to Geno...
8 years... 10 mil per... Limited movement clause...
Done deal.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 am

Malkin will get 71 million over 8 years.

He will be roughly 36 - 37 at the end of the contract. I can see him going back to Russia after for play for another 3 years with his Russian squad.

Would be great if we can get 2 more cups in the next 8 years with him.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:05 am

marek wrote:4 mil a year average or he's playing in Minnesota.
And that was regarding Dupuis... Funny how threads get sidetracked.

Back to Geno...
8 years... 10 mil per... Limited movement clause...
Done deal.

And the organization will be tied down for a decade with no ability to sign defensemen to long term deals...ever.

Can't wait for that monster Geno contract.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:07 am

Nizzy wrote:Malkin will get 71 million over 8 years.

He will be roughly 36 - 37 at the end of the contract. I can see him going back to Russia after for play for another 3 years with his Russian squad.

Would be great if we can get 2 more cups in the next 8 years with him.

With a big signing like this, it'll be pretty obvious the team will have an all offense all the time mentality going forward.

And that's worked out so well in recent years for us. Lol.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CrazyJoeDavola on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:46 am

2009-2010 season was the first in which Malkin and Crosby were both an $8.7 cap hit. That season, the cap was $56 million. They comprised 31% of the cap.

Say Malkin signs for $9.5. That puts him and Crosby at a combined $18.2. That's 28% of the cap this upcoming season, and will only shrink as a percentage as the cap increases moving forward. Really, only in this past season when they were each making $8.7 under the $70 million cap were they ever below 25% of of the total cap.

All that to say, we have managed with the big two making between 25% and 31% of the cap for the past four seasons. If anything, the next 5 seasons of Crosby and Malkin at a combined $18ish million will be LESS of a burden to the cap than they were those past four.
CrazyJoeDavola

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am

Re: Malkin - $72M over 8 sounds about right. I'm not a great cap wizard, but I might go $80 over 8 to keep him here. I'd hate to see him on the other team.
Re: Dupuis - $12M over 4 would probably work. Although I'd hate to lose him, I think that his impact on another team would not be as great, because I think some of his scoring fountain of youth is named Crosby and Kunitz. His defensive work and especially the PK would not change, however. Would that be worth $3M per year elsewhere?
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rugbymuffin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Sweet.

Cause I love watching him play hockey.

It would be ridiculously stupid to let Malkin go anywhere else.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins