Brendan Morrow

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Brendan Morrow

Postby Wjsan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:09 pm

What about Morrow? I would rather have him than Iginla. IMHO
Wjsan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Brendan Morrow

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 pm

I am to the point of exhaustion about any changes. I am just to the point of not saying anything anymore and just let ownership do their thing. Nothing against the OP or anyone here. Just what I will do.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Wjsan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 pm

CERV96 wrote:I am to the point of exhaustion of any changes. I am just to the point of not saying anything anymore and just let ownership do their thing. Nothing against the OP or anyone here. Just what I will do.

I know what you mean. It's nice to speculate but it comes down to what they think will work best. I trust ownership and our GM to put the best possible people on the ice. That includes coaches as well.
Wjsan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby offsides on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Wjsan wrote:
CERV96 wrote:I am to the point of exhaustion of any changes. I am just to the point of not saying anything anymore and just let ownership do their thing. Nothing against the OP or anyone here. Just what I will do.

I know what you mean. It's nice to speculate but it comes down to what they think will work best. I trust ownership and our GM to put the best possible people on the ice. That includes coaches as well.

After what I have seen the last couple playoff meltdowns, I'm not trusting anybody. I will have to accept what happens, but I'm not trusting them to do what I want. They should ask me what to do, I'll fix things. :D
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 pm

He is more than capable of filling to role Cooke will leave. Frankly, I will be surprised if he's not on a 2 year deal prior to July 1st, especially considering what Ray gave up to get him.
    Boogeyman
    Junior 'A'
    Junior 'A'

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Too old. Too slow. Next.
    Fire0nice228
    AHL'er
    AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Morrow won't be useful if he's with Sutter. Though you could say that about most players in the league.
    shmenguin
    NHL Fourth Liner
    NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 pm

I say no. Too slow.
    bringitonhome
    ECHL'er
    ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 pm

He didnt do much but looked like it as nobody else got near the net or even behind it. Plus he was awful in Dallas and contrary to popular belief they had a decent forward group there. We need to get younger, faster and guys who can play that cycle role up front. He isnt it or even close.
    BurghersAndDogsSports
    ECHL'er
    ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Too old. Too slow. Next.

I agree with this. Kinda reminds me of me.
    offsides
    NHL Healthy Scratch
    NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MarioLives on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Vitale can do everything Morrow can do at this time in his life
    MarioLives
    ECHL'er
    ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Old and slow. Bye.
    Getting To My Game
    Junior 'A'
    Junior 'A'

Postby RPKJr429 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Due to my prior mancrush, I have called him Joe Morrow ever since he got here at the deadline. If he resigns, he should consider changing his name for my sanity's sake.
    RPKJr429
    Junior 'A'
    Junior 'A'

Postby shootinthepuck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I could discuss this stuff all day and night. It's really going to get me posting here. I like Morrow a lot, but I just can't see him playing here again unless it's dirt cheap.
    shootinthepuck

Postby Inkio on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 pm

I am a huge fan of Morrow, and always will be. I would love for him to stay.
    Inkio
    ECHL'er
    ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

I thought Morrow, Cooke, Malkin, and Adams (though he barely counts) were the only forwards to bring it just about night in and night out. Maybe Malkin missed a game or 2 in the first round...

I really like Morrow, thought he was totally misused on the 4th line, when the team was desperate for a net-front presence...

I think it'll come down to Morrow vs. Cooke. And I'd choose Morrow. Mostly because the intangibles. Cooke brings negative intangibles (except for an ability to get whole cities riled up...in the reg season.) Morrow's a warrior. He can also move up into a scoring role (though Blysma had this backwards in game 4 :face: ).

I think we'll see a 3rd line of Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey.
    pcm
    AHL All-Star
    AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm

pcm wrote:I think we'll see a 3rd line of Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey.

might as well save money and put adams and vitale with sutter. you'll get the same result

...that's a sutter statement - not a morrow statement
    shmenguin
    NHL Fourth Liner
    NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I thought Morrow had a pretty decent role by the end of the playoffs, was killing penalties as well. Agree with the above, it might be Morrow vs Cooke.
    pfim
    NHL Fourth Liner
    NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:

might as well save money and put adams and vitale with sutter. you'll get the same result

I was down on Sutter's offensive abilities as anyone this postseason, but I really think that the blame for that falls on Blysma. He jammed Sutter into a "defensive 3rd liner role" all season long. Even when missing Crosby or Malkin, Sutter would not move up in the lineup. And it's not like Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy was anything but mud all season long. I think Blysma really wanted him to fill a specific role, and so when it came time to rely on some depth for offense in the playoffs, Sutter had no confidence from the coach, and therefor no confidence for himself.

I hope a new coach will allow him to blossom into a more complete player. New linemates will help too.
    pcm
    AHL All-Star
    AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Morrow was fine, but people completely overblow his contributions. The number of people trying to sell who knows who(possibly themselves) on how great he was playing was alarming. That was a bad trade. Certainly in hindsight, debatable at the time of the trade.
    Idoit40fans
    NHL Third Liner
    NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

pcm wrote:
    shmenguin wrote:

I was down on Sutter's offensive abilities as anyone this postseason, but I really think that the blame for that falls on Blysma. He jammed Sutter into a "defensive 3rd liner role" all season long. Even when missing Crosby or Malkin, Sutter would not move up in the lineup. And it's not like Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy was anything but mud all season long. I think Blysma really wanted him to fill a specific role, and so when it came time to rely on some depth for offense in the playoffs, Sutter had no confidence from the coach, and therefor no confidence for himself.

I hope a new coach will allow him to blossom into a more complete player. New linemates will help too.

it looks like any actual change happening is a pipe dream. so what we're going to see is sutter being a great shut down guy whose line doesn't do anything outside their own zone. hey - if hockey nerds say that's a good thing, then fine. but don't spend a dime more than you have to in filling out his line. it's not going to help.
    shmenguin
    NHL Fourth Liner
    NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

the pens were almost eliminated by a much quicker team in New York in the first round. Having a player like Morrow who will be one year older next season will not help in keeping up with teams with speed like the Islanders. Same goes for guys like Murray, iggy, Eaton, Adams, etc.
    lemieuxReturns
    ECHL'er
    ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Morrow was fine, but people completely overblow his contributions. The number of people trying to sell who knows who(possibly themselves) on how great he was playing was alarming. That was a bad trade. Certainly in hindsight, debatable at the time of the trade.

Hated the trade then and now. But I think he could be a contributor at the right price.
    pfim
    NHL Fourth Liner
    NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:52 pm

For an 82 game season, difficult to think all would be contributers , start to finish.

I like Morrow; may need if the pens part ways with M Cooke.
    Jussi J; fast and good in the season, play offs; slow hands, except on the face offs.
    penny lane
    NHL Third Liner
    NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Adding Morrow, Iggy and Murray to the line up really dropped the team speed WAY down, then TK got pressbox time too, making the roster even slower. I'm not a real fan of retaining old and very slow at this point, no matter the cheap price.
    brwi
    NHL Healthy Scratch
    NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins