I know most dont like Madden

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: I know most dont like Madden

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 pm

headh wrote:(Excluding former NHL players) There isn't one writer, television personality or radio guy in this city who knows more about hockey than Madden. Not one.

That sort of says something about the Pittsburgh existing media more than it does Madden's hockey knowledge. Also, I think Molinari knows a helluva lot more about hockey than MM for that matter, as do most long-time fans of the Penguins, though they are not in the TV or radio professions.

Madden does his schtick well enough to stay employed and earn a living so hurray for him. He's also simply a personality and talks out of his backside constantly about hockey even when he probably knows it's BS. He don't care...he soff.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Why is this even being discussed? Nothing Madden / Rossi / Yohe says should ever really be discussed, they make things up
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 pm

IanMoran wrote:Why is this even being discussed? Nothing Madden / Rossi / Yohe says should ever really be discussed, they make things up

So let me get his straight......Madden/Rossi/Yohe and will throw in the most annoying one, Katie O'Mally, should never be discussed when it comes to hockey? yet all of them are employed to do just that, on Penguins Radio?

Does anyone else see anything odd about that? So either we all know more than those employed to be on Penguins radio, or we need to recheck ourselves. I know we all like to think we know more about hockey than others, but this is a little crazy. If true, lets all get radio shows in Pittsburgh, since we know more than those there now.

I am not trying to back Madden or any others on Pens Radio, but to say they all know very little to nothing about hockey, just does not make sense.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

MarioLives wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Why is this even being discussed? Nothing Madden / Rossi / Yohe says should ever really be discussed, they make things up

So let me get his straight......Madden/Rossi/Yohe and will throw in the most annoying one, Katie O'Mally, should never be discussed when it comes to hockey? yet all of them are employed to do just that, on Penguins Radio?

Does anyone else see anything odd about that? So either we all know more than those employed to be on Penguins radio, or we need to recheck ourselves. I know we all like to think we know more about hockey than others, but this is a little crazy. If true, lets all get radio shows in Pittsburgh, since we know more than those there now.

I am not trying to back Madden or any others on Pens Radio, but to say they all know very little to nothing about hockey, just does not make sense.

Their opinions can be discussed. I was referencing their "rumors" / "inside sources" (why I only mentioned those 3). Their track record 100% indicated they are 100% just making up stories for the publicity. Yet this board (look at Letang thread) is always overrun by their rumors.

Might as well start taking educated guesses and say "According to Mariolives sources," it'd be the same, exact thing.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm

"Might as well start taking educated guesses and say "According to Mariolives sources," it'd be the same, exact thing."

I like the sound of that!
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jcgopens on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

MarioLives wrote:

They do a lot of speculation and put it out as fact, especially Rossi. Just for fun, I went back and read an article Rossi did early last summer and he stated that the Pens were "aggressively shopping Paul Martin. We come to find out that Shero had a sit down meeting at the end of the season with Paul Martin and asked him if he wanted traded, Martin said no, give me a chance. Apparently, there were no trade talks for Martin, so where did Rossi get that from? Just an example of how information gets put out there, and you never know what to really believe.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 pm

MarioLives wrote:"Might as well start taking educated guesses and say "According to Mariolives sources," it'd be the same, exact thing."

You have just discovered the blueprint of 95% of bloggers.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jcgopens on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Beveridge wrote:
MarioLives wrote:"Might as well start taking educated guesses and say "According to Mariolives sources," it'd be the same, exact thing."

And 95% of media!
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Pittsburgh area buffet/all-you-can-eat owners vehemently disagree with the title of this thread.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Cooke was one of the few players we had that actually earned his paycheck during the playoffs.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:37 pm

btw, Don Cherry of all people said he was Pens' best player during the Boston series and showed a video of how hard he played (Coach's Corner)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 pm

jcgopens wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

And 95% of media!

and 95% of statistics!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dcpensfan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 pm

pfim wrote:I can see why they don't like Cooke, considering he made them look bad with his consistent play.

Sounds like utter crap from Madden.

:lol: But you have to admit, most of his teammates were consistent as well - consistently crappy...
dcpensfan

Postby no name on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

I swear Madden gets most of his ideas from this board and just expands on them. Even if he has an origonal idea and it gets discussed on this board, the next day he gathers what he learned from the board and says it on the radio.

We all talked about Game 3 vs Ottawa and Dans game ending players on the ice. The day after boom Madden is talking about it on the radio saying the same thing we already said and talked about.

Granted i do like him he is entertaining to listen to, even if i don't agree with soime of his hockey opinions at times, i respect him cause he does have good hockey knowelege and can back up his ideas with some creative thinking.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 pm

what mess of his were they cleaning up, the match penalty that was ignored by the league? there hasnt been a cooke controversy in like 2 years.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby owtahear on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:47 pm

skullman80 wrote:I think Madden is pretty knowledgeable as well, he just has an annoying schtick, but hey its gets him ratings so he must be doing something right.

He still thinks MAF should have started all the games in goal in the playoffs.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:50 pm

no name wrote:I swear Madden gets most of his ideas from this board and just expands on them. Even if he has an origonal idea and it gets discussed on this board, the next day he gathers what he learned from the board and says it on the radio.

We all talked about Game 3 vs Ottawa and Dans game ending players on the ice. The day after boom Madden is talking about it on the radio saying the same thing we already said and talked about.

Granted i do like him he is entertaining to listen to, even if i don't agree with soime of his hockey opinions at times, i respect him cause he does have good hockey knowelege and can back up his ideas with some creative thinking.

Is it not possible that he's drawing the same conclusions as the rest of the fanbase?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:I swear Madden gets most of his ideas from this board and just expands on them. Even if he has an origonal idea and it gets discussed on this board, the next day he gathers what he learned from the board and says it on the radio.

Is it not possible that he's drawing the same conclusions as the rest of the fanbase?

Well its when i hear him quote almost word for word from peoples threads that make me really wonder. Or i hear him say it then the next day i read it from a older thread. word for word. Do you really think a guy who has to talk hockey all day doesn't cruise the internet for ideas to keep his show fresh and intresting.
Last edited by no name on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I'm listening to him right now, and they are talking about this subject, and he just said "Is it not possible that I'm drawing the same conclusions as the rest of the fanbase?"
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Steve wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I'm listening to him right now, and they are talking about this subject, and he just said "Is it not possible that I'm drawing the same conclusions as the rest of the fanbase?"

This gets my vote for Post of the year.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Well this post is hillarious....

Madden got you doing exactly what his intention is in most things....TALKING ABOUT MARK MADDEN AND HIS SHOW.

Regardless of the Cooke sentiment Madden just won. Another post about him.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Cooke was one of the few players we had that actually earned his paycheck during the playoffs.

Cooke was outstanding. In terms of playing up to their ability, Cooke, Martin and Vokoun were the only ones who consistently delivered.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tyler Durden on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Scott wrote:Well this post is hillarious....

Madden got you doing exactly what his intention is in most things....TALKING ABOUT MARK MADDEN AND HIS SHOW.

Regardless of the Cooke sentiment Madden just won. Another post about him.

No, he wins when you listen to his show. I have been listening to him the past couple of days, but before that I was on strike from his show. I grew tired of his Malkin bashing and also his bias for the players with whom he has a "friendship" e.g. Letang.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Cooke was one of the few players we had that actually earned his paycheck during the playoffs.

Cooke was outstanding. In terms of playing up to their ability, Cooke, Martin and Vokoun were the only ones who consistently delivered.

Yeah, those 3. Agreed.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Cooke was one of the Pens most consistent, solid players regular season and playoffs.

I'm going to go with pfim here:

pfim wrote:I can see why they don't like Cooke, considering he made them look bad with his consistent play.

Sounds like utter crap from Madden.

and Sarcastic:

Sarcastic wrote:btw, Don Cherry of all people said he was Pens' best player during the Boston series and showed a video of how hard he played (Coach's Corner)

=========

no name wrote:I swear Madden gets most of his ideas from this board and just expands on them...

Or he's coming to basic conclusions that most hockey fans can come to on their own.

As much as Madden likes to say he's a supergenius, much of his sports "knowledge" is quite derivative. Rarely does he present a fresh perspective, or quality in-depth analysis of goings-on and give you a perspective you hadn't thought of.

Rather, he just finds the contrary view, puts it out there, belittles and insults "yinzer" opponents of his insincere view, then makes it into radio gold.

And he absolutely plays favorites depending on which players are nice to him. It's total crap. Stan Savran has forgotten more about intelligent sports talk than Madden will ever know, yet Madden is the guy that gets the ratings. That's the state of sports radio in particular, but America in general today. /shrug
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins