Jerome Iginla

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jerome Iginla: Thoughts

1.Try to sign him
44%
2.Let him walk
56%

Total votes : 126

Re: Jerome Iginla

Postby Desiato on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Rugbymuffin wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:I think Iggy gets re-signed, hopefully Pitts has a coach that can use him next year. I liked regular season Iginla, but playoffs Iginla was a snooze fest.

He never really did look fully comfortable, but with the Pens revamped coaching staff next year I have a feeling he will still produce at a great clip. I think he spends the off season really working on his speed (something he never needed in Calgary's system) and comes back next year revitalized.

You don't score 10 consistent 30 goal seasons in this league and just one day turn into a bad player, he will be back and he will be fine. Like I have said before Iginla is a conditioning beast, nobody is more upset with his performance in the last round than him and he will use it as fuel for the training fire this off season.

I feel the "he wasn't used right" is a valid arguement.

My retort is, If he is so good, shouldn't he be able to play anywhere on the ice ?

As much respect he deserves for everything he's accomplished, the fact is that he hasn't produced at a star level for a couple of seasons. That's just the reality of the stage his career is in. No one should be disappointed by this, because he's been the player he was with the Pens for a while now. Joe fan may not have realized this, but I'm certain Pens management knew the player they were getting.

That doesn't mean that he can't be a contributor if utilized differently. But don't expect him to be the 3rd option and defensive conscience of his line while playing with Malkin and Neal; which is basically what was asked of him and why he struggled and was exposed IMO.

You don't re-sign him expecting him to improve. It's possible to have a late-career resurgence, but unlikely. So don't hold it against him if it doesn't happen. We'll see how much money and how large a role with another team he's willing to sacrifice to play with the Pens. I don't see it happening.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Desiato wrote:
Rugbymuffin wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:I think Iggy gets re-signed, hopefully Pitts has a coach that can use him next year. I liked regular season Iginla, but playoffs Iginla was a snooze fest.

He never really did look fully comfortable, but with the Pens revamped coaching staff next year I have a feeling he will still produce at a great clip. I think he spends the off season really working on his speed (something he never needed in Calgary's system) and comes back next year revitalized.

You don't score 10 consistent 30 goal seasons in this league and just one day turn into a bad player, he will be back and he will be fine. Like I have said before Iginla is a conditioning beast, nobody is more upset with his performance in the last round than him and he will use it as fuel for the training fire this off season.

I feel the "he wasn't used right" is a valid arguement.

My retort is, If he is so good, shouldn't he be able to play anywhere on the ice ?

As much respect he deserves for everything he's accomplished, the fact is that he hasn't produced at a star level for a couple of seasons. That's just the reality of the stage his career is in. No one should be disappointed by this, because he's been the player he was with the Pens for a while now. Joe fan may not have realized this, but I'm certain Pens management knew the player they were getting.

That doesn't mean that he can't be a contributor if utilized differently. But don't expect him to be the 3rd option and defensive conscience of his line while playing with Malkin and Neal; which is basically what was asked of him and why he struggled and was exposed IMO.You don't re-sign him expecting him to improve. It's possible to have a late-career resurgence, but unlikely. So don't hold it against him if it doesn't happen. We'll see how much money and how large a role with another team he's willing to sacrifice to play with the Pens. I don't see it happening.

This nailed it. Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck is not Iginla's game, and that was his responsability. Even so he managed to score 12 points in 15 games in the playoffs, eclipsed only by Geno, Letang and Sid. Putting Kunitz or Dupuis back with Geno and sliding Iggy to Sid's RW would have suited him so much better, but they wanted to keep Sid's magical line together.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Still not buying in on Iginla coming back.

He may have been miscast, but that shouldn't make you skate like your skates are in cement, or cause you to lose every puck battle. When did he ever look like a threat out there? I would say hardly ever. Even when he was putting up points he didn't pass the eyeball test to me. I just don't see it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm

I think Iginla planned things well financially. I can see him resigning for 2-3mil based on his comments. Dupuis is the main priority i can see mario talking and saying take 3mil for 4 years and then you have a position in this organization for life. He would be an excellent conditioning coach or scout.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Right now, voting is 50% with 37 votes per side. Very interesting.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoMachino71 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:52 pm

I think if Dupuis leaves, it opens up the door for discussions.... but I'm only offering a 1 year deal around $2.5 million..... I'd be hesitant to give him a 2nd year and more than $2 million over 2 years.... 1 year/$2 to 3 million or 2 year/$4 million would be fine with me

if Dupuis is re-signed, there is no room for him in the top 6.... if Dupuis leaves, there is an open spot in the top 6 that needs to be filled somewhere.... although once again, it leaves you with 3 right wingers in Bennett, Neal, and Iginla.... even though all 3 have played some LW at some point with the Pens....

I also think he could be a great influence and mentor for Bennett as well, as well as insurance for Bennett as he has had some injuries his career thus far.... he needs to prove he can hold up for 82 games plus postseason

I do still think he has something left in the tank.... he had 11 points (5 goals) in 13 regular season games.... and 12 points (4 goals) in 15 postseason games.... even if he didnt live up to some people's expectations, he still put up 23 points (9 goals) in 28 games with the Penguins despite playing on his off wing and not getting top PP unit time much of the time.... that is damn good production, especially if you can get it for $2-3 million for 1 or 2 years
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:46 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:I think if Dupuis leaves, it opens up the door for discussions.... but I'm only offering a 1 year deal around $2.5 million..... I'd be hesitant to give him a 2nd year and more than $2 million over 2 years.... 1 year/$2 to 3 million or 2 year/$4 million would be fine with me

if Dupuis is re-signed, there is no room for him in the top 6.... if Dupuis leaves, there is an open spot in the top 6 that needs to be filled somewhere.... although once again, it leaves you with 3 right wingers in Bennett, Neal, and Iginla.... even though all 3 have played some LW at some point with the Pens....

I also think he could be a great influence and mentor for Bennett as well, as well as insurance for Bennett as he has had some injuries his career thus far.... he needs to prove he can hold up for 82 games plus postseason

I do still think he has something left in the tank.... he had 11 points (5 goals) in 13 regular season games.... and 12 points (4 goals) in 15 postseason games.... even if he didnt live up to some people's expectations, he still put up 23 points (9 goals) in 28 games with the Penguins despite playing on his off wing and not getting top PP unit time much of the time.... that is damn good production, especially if you can get it for $2-3 million for 1 or 2 years

If you can fit both Iginla and Dupuis under the cap (and for the record, I don't think we can), there is plenty of room for both of them. Bennett on the 3rd line would add a playmaking, puck carrying element that is missing from Sutter's game and really round out that line.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Glass - Vitale - Jokinen

I like Jokinen as a player, but using him on the 4th line is a waste of salary. We seem to be stuck with him there though unless we buy him out.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
I like Jokinen as a player, but using him on the 4th line is a waste of salary. We seem to be stuck with him there though unless we buy him out.

He's a nice insurance policy though.... I'd play him on the 3rd line with Sutter and someone else and he can fill in as a top 2 line center if/when Crosby or Malkin go down with an injury.... he can also fill in at wing on the top 2 lines

I think the Pens would be stupid to buy out a versatile guy who can really play anywhere in the lineup, especially with the Penguins history of injuries.... even if he has to play some games on the 4th line which wouldnt be the best way to utilize his talent, its still worth it to have him on the roster
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Why would you bring Iginla back if Bylsma was still the HC? Dude won't be used correctly at all.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Why would you bring Iginla back if Bylsma was still the HC? Dude won't be used correctly at all.

:thumb: Very good point. Just a waste if DB returns.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 am

I don't think Cooke is on the team next year if we have Dupuis and Iggy. I don't think Cooke is here either way, actually.

A Jokinen-Sutter-Bennett 3rd line looks interesting.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:14 am

FallenHero96 wrote:I don't think Cooke is on the team next year if we have Dupuis and Iggy. I don't think Cooke is here either way, actually.

unfortunately, if Dupuis and Iginla leave, the Pens may be counting on Bennett and Jokinen on the top 2 lines.... at least to start the season

I'm really hoping Iginla comes back at this point.... I just dont think Dupuis is going to take the discount needed to stay and Iginla has been in the system already for a few months, had good production, and would have an entire offseason to work on LW (if he would be asked to play there)

but now that Bylsma's back, I'm not counting on it.... he's not fast enough for his system
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:15 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I don't think Cooke is on the team next year if we have Dupuis and Iggy. I don't think Cooke is here either way, actually.

sure, it'll be fun to have bennett skate around by himself for 12 minutes a game.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm

With the recent news can I change my vote?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GreenLantern on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 pm

DB extended, Iggy is outta there. If I was him I would not stick around, great great team, but just not a good fit with that coach.

My guesses are Boston or LA. He played his best hockey under Sutter so this makes sense, and Boston plays a style of hockey more fit for his game. Money isn't an issue to him at this point after making his 7 million per year and all of his Nike endorsements, so he will take whatever he can get to fit under their caps.

It was a good experiment and I was really rooting for him and the Pens but some things just aren't meant to be. I hope for Iggy's sake he has the common sense to move on less he be squandered in Pitts.

I also think the team will be better off without him under DB.

The worst move the Pens could make this off season outside trading Geno, failing to extend Letang or not re-signing Dupuis is re-signing Iginla under DB's system.
GreenLantern

Postby neophool on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I think Iginla could be productive on Sids wing. In his natural position.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 am

GreenLantern wrote:DB extended, Iggy is outta there. If I was him I would not stick around, great great team, but just not a good fit with that coach.

My guesses are Boston or LA. He played his best hockey under Sutter so this makes sense, and Boston plays a style of hockey more fit for his game. Money isn't an issue to him at this point after making his 7 million per year and all of his Nike endorsements, so he will take whatever he can get to fit under their caps.

It was a good experiment and I was really rooting for him and the Pens but some things just aren't meant to be. I hope for Iggy's sake he has the common sense to move on less he be squandered in Pitts.

The worst move the Pens could make this off season outside trading Geno, failing to extend Letang or not re-signing Dupuis is re-signing Iginla under DB's system.

Sadly this is true.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am

GreenLantern wrote:DB extended, Iggy is outta there. If I was him I would not stick around, great great team, but just not a good fit with that coach.

Everything Iginla has said suggests he wasn't comfortable at left wing, but that the idea partly was his, allowing Neal, the younger, more productive winger to play where he feels most comfortable. Iginla also said that, as time went on, he felt more and more comfortable on the left side and that his lack of productivity had little/nothing to do with being on that side of the ice and just purely a slump. Anyone suggesting he is, was, or should be mad about the way he was used really needs to look into what he's been saying since day one. There's a reason this guy is well-known and respected around the league as one of the most team-oriented players in the game.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 am

Whether any Iggy supporters want to admit or not, Dupuis is simply a better NHL player right now. Pens don't need more slowness next year because teams that are pretty quick like the Isles and Leafs aren't going away. Signing Iggy, Morrow and Murray definitely added some veteran "stuff" and all, but it wasn't a real success and made the team a lot slower. I don't think you bring back any of them.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 am

brwi wrote:Whether any Iggy supporters want to admit or not, Dupuis is simply a better NHL player right now. Pens don't need more slowness next year because teams that are pretty quick like the Isles and Leafs aren't going away. Signing Iggy, Morrow and Murray definitely added some veteran "stuff" and all, but it wasn't a real success and made the team a lot slower. I don't think you bring back any of them.

No doubt the "internal" players are better choices to re-sign given their fit with the club, but if Dupuis outprices himself, Iginla would be a fine choice to replace him on Crosby's line. I truly believe he has more to offer, and at his natural position and with a player known more for straight line skating, I think he'll feel more comfortable and contribute more.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah, I liked Iginla, but unless he wants to play and get paid as a 3rd liner, I don't think he brings much value to the Penguins if Dupuis and Neal are on the team. I don't think he stays.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:05 am

I like Iggy and still feel he could be very productive on the right side and PP. However, I think that ship has sailed and they will part company. Dupuis fits this team better. That said, I think Dupuis would be best served playing with Sutter. Sid gets Bennett.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

saints11 wrote:I like Iggy and still feel he could be very productive on the right side and PP. However, I think that ship has sailed and they will part company. Dupuis fits this team better. That said, I think Dupuis would be best served playing with Sutter. Sid gets Bennett.

This sentiment baffles me. What more does Dupuis have to do to justify his spot as a quality winger for Crosby? He's been nothing short of excellent there, and dropping him to the third line would be a swift slap to the face of one of the hardest-working, most-improved, and most-respected players on the roster. If he re-signs, he stays with Crosby. Period. End of story.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:15 am

Defence21 wrote:
saints11 wrote:I like Iggy and still feel he could be very productive on the right side and PP. However, I think that ship has sailed and they will part company. Dupuis fits this team better. That said, I think Dupuis would be best served playing with Sutter. Sid gets Bennett.

This sentiment baffles me. What more does Dupuis have to do to justify his spot as a quality winger for Crosby? He's been nothing short of excellent there, and dropping him to the third line would be a swift slap to the face of one of the hardest-working, most-improved, and most-respected players on the roster. If he re-signs, he stays with Crosby. Period. End of story.

Can you honestly sign a 34 year old Dupuis for 4 more years, expecting him to contribute like he is now? I just don't see the value.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:17 am

These Black and white questions are hard to answer. If he would agree to 3 a season yes sign him. if he wants 5 let him walk. Anthing between 3 or 5 cap hit i would concider depending on the lenght of the deal, the shorter the better.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins