Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:07 am

Based on photos posted in the other thread of Bylsma and Shero at a concert at Consol last evening, which included a smiling Bylsma, one would have to assume he's being retained. One, I doubt Bylsma would be up for fun and would look happy in the process if he was just informed he was fired. Two, I doubt he would be having said fun with the man who just fired him...again, while smiling and seeming to be enjoying himself.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,793
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby abwvu1 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 am

Bylsma has not earned an extension. He deserves to be on the hot seat next season.
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 pm
Location: Flemington, WV

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:12 am

Ray and Dan are probably hungover after a night out with Boyz II Men.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:16 am

Defence21 wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:@RobRossi_Trib 7m
#TribHKY last i heard, not all in #pens ownership group were keen on extension for Bylsma. But nobody wanted him replaced, either.

What does that even mean?


It's written in past tense too as if to say he already has signed an extension.

What a total ass-bag Rossi is.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,214
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I think he is gone. You don't need to meet that long to say, "we're good with Dan". Someone asked 'why change'? The answer is that we have tremendous pieces to the puzzle, we just need a better game day tactition and the past several years and Isles and Boston series clearly illustrate that Dan cannot adapt his game plan.

He looks great during the regular season when teams do not take the time to design systems to beat us. During the playoffs, his poor coaching becomes painfully obvious.

I think this last point is the major consideration. No one ever remembers who the Presidents Trophy winner was, but they do remember the Stanley Cup winner. With the talent the Pens have, anyone could guide them to the playoffs. It takes a good coach to win in the playoffs. Yeah, he won the cup in his first year, but he inherited Thierien's team halfway through the season, and pretty much maintained that system throughout.
In the years when he had the team for the whole year: he made it to the third round once, and got his clock cleaned. His system (essentially run and gun with the big stars) works in the regular season because noone has the time to gameplan for it and the stars can go out and outman the other side. In the playoffs, the other coach can gameplan because he knows he will be playing the same team for consecutive games.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby meow on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

Defence21 wrote:
meow wrote:I don't get why it's such a bad thing to keep Byslma around. There are worse coaches out there and very few better ones, if any.

Maybe it will prove to be the right decision, if they make it and he succeeds. At present, it seems a bad idea because he has won one Stanley Cup and lost four times to lower rated opponents. Most recently, his team was made to look like a low-ranked team against a playoff-inexperienced Islanders roster, and was swept by a Boston team that allowed just two goals in the entire series. Say what you want about Boston's goaltending or the Penguins' shooting percentage -- a large chunk of the blame for such a terrible defeat lies on the coach.

Even though I disagree with a large portion of your post, I will admit it is easier to fire 1 coach than 23 players.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,817
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:26 am

If the Pens keep DB, it is wise to sign him to an extension to better avoid a lame-duck situation. Just because they like him does not mean players will not take advantage.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,183
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:29 am

Yup, cut him loose now or sign him to a 2-3 year extension then fire his *** after next season if the ship sinks again.

Too easy for the wheels to fall off fast if the coach is a lame duck.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,888
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Tyler Durden on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:29 am

Desiato wrote:If the Pens keep DB, it is wise to sign him to an extension to better avoid a lame-duck situation. Just because they like him does not mean players will not take advantage.


Why? What is wrong with making him coach for his job? Giving an extension tells him (and us) that things are just fine as they are now and have been the last four years.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:whats today?


Hump Day, or in Spanish, Dia de JAROBI.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,386
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby pcmforless on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 am

Here's my thought. Pittsburgh has become hockey crazy. Thousands showing up for a big screen to watch the games, Pens signs in yards all over, great ratings... Much of this had fed off the Cup run in 09. 2010 was a dissapointment, but crap happens, 2011 was written off understandably to injury, but 2012 was a DISASTER and 2013 was even worse because the build up and expectations were so high.
If they continue on with the status quo, they are going to lose a lot of these newer fans and part of the craze. People are going to say to themselves that the disappointment will just happen again in 2014 and not be as enthusiastic. This results in a loss of a LOT of revenue and some of the ability to continue putting such an expensive product on the ice (that as a fan I fully appreciate them spending almost every darn cent they pull in to put as much on the ice as they can). If they make a coaching change and a few other changes fans will see this as an attempt to right the ship and will feel that 2014 can result in a much better outcome.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:49 am

Maybe Shero should get a coach for Bylsma? Hmm...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby since1970 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am

can't wait for the press conference to announce nothing??
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am

A backup coach who is capable of taking over for HCDB if he falters in the playoffs. Worked for our goaltending, too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,521
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am

pcmforless wrote:Here's my thought. Pittsburgh has become hockey crazy. Thousands showing up for a big screen to watch the games, Pens signs in yards all over, great ratings... Much of this had fed off the Cup run in 09. 2010 was a dissapointment, but crap happens, 2011 was written off understandably to injury, but 2012 was a DISASTER and 2013 was even worse because the build up and expectations were so high.
If they continue on with the status quo, they are going to lose a lot of these newer fans and part of the craze. People are going to say to themselves that the disappointment will just happen again in 2014 and not be as enthusiastic. This results in a loss of a LOT of revenue and some of the ability to continue putting such an expensive product on the ice (that as a fan I fully appreciate them spending almost every darn cent they pull in to put as much on the ice as they can). If they make a coaching change and a few other changes fans will see this as an attempt to right the ship and will feel that 2014 can result in a much better outcome.

Bravo! :thumb: :D
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Desiato wrote:If the Pens keep DB, it is wise to sign him to an extension to better avoid a lame-duck situation. Just because they like him does not mean players will not take advantage.


Why? What is wrong with making him coach for his job? Giving an extension tells him (and us) that things are just fine as they are now and have been the last four years.


I already said why: to avoid a lame duck situation. A lame-duck coach is one who does not have a vote of confidence from upper management--such as a contract that extends past the end of the season--and therefore loses authority.

On another note: I am so uncomfortable about the love the Pens locker room apparently expresses towards DB. That ain't right. Respect yes, love no. To me it suggests he's not feeding them enough of what they don't like, but is good for them.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,183
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 am

pcmforless wrote:Here's my thought. Pittsburgh has become hockey crazy. Thousands showing up for a big screen to watch the games, Pens signs in yards all over, great ratings... Much of this had fed off the Cup run in 09. 2010 was a dissapointment, but crap happens, 2011 was written off understandably to injury, but 2012 was a DISASTER and 2013 was even worse because the build up and expectations were so high.
If they continue on with the status quo, they are going to lose a lot of these newer fans and part of the craze. People are going to say to themselves that the disappointment will just happen again in 2014 and not be as enthusiastic. This results in a loss of a LOT of revenue and some of the ability to continue putting such an expensive product on the ice (that as a fan I fully appreciate them spending almost every darn cent they pull in to put as much on the ice as they can). If they make a coaching change and a few other changes fans will see this as an attempt to right the ship and will feel that 2014 can result in a much better outcome.


Or it could be seen as.... :scared:

If fans are going to fall off the wagon because of a few non championship years, then so be it. They will be back once the team is back on top. No loss there. Every team cannot win every year. I would much rather Shero seem as though he is in control than a fire everything that moves and hope it works kind of guy.

This team just needs some speed and young legs (ie: Chicago Blackhawks). How this will be done? Anyone's guess but... In Shero I Trust.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,888
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
pcmforless wrote:Here's my thought. Pittsburgh has become hockey crazy. Thousands showing up for a big screen to watch the games, Pens signs in yards all over, great ratings... Much of this had fed off the Cup run in 09. 2010 was a dissapointment, but crap happens, 2011 was written off understandably to injury, but 2012 was a DISASTER and 2013 was even worse because the build up and expectations were so high.
If they continue on with the status quo, they are going to lose a lot of these newer fans and part of the craze. People are going to say to themselves that the disappointment will just happen again in 2014 and not be as enthusiastic. This results in a loss of a LOT of revenue and some of the ability to continue putting such an expensive product on the ice (that as a fan I fully appreciate them spending almost every darn cent they pull in to put as much on the ice as they can). If they make a coaching change and a few other changes fans will see this as an attempt to right the ship and will feel that 2014 can result in a much better outcome.


Or it could be seen as.... :scared:

If fans are going to fall off the wagon because of a few non championship years, then so be it. They will be back once the team is back on top. No loss there. Every team cannot win every year. I would much rather Shero seem as though he is in control than a fire everything that moves and hope it works kind of guy.

This team just needs some speed and young legs (ie: Chicago Blackhawks). How this will be done? Anyone's guess but... In Shero I Trust.


Yeah, but in Bylsma I don't!
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,385
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby pcmforless on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
pcmforless wrote:Here's my thought. Pittsburgh has become hockey crazy. Thousands showing up for a big screen to watch the games, Pens signs in yards all over, great ratings... Much of this had fed off the Cup run in 09. 2010 was a dissapointment, but crap happens, 2011 was written off understandably to injury, but 2012 was a DISASTER and 2013 was even worse because the build up and expectations were so high.
If they continue on with the status quo, they are going to lose a lot of these newer fans and part of the craze. People are going to say to themselves that the disappointment will just happen again in 2014 and not be as enthusiastic. This results in a loss of a LOT of revenue and some of the ability to continue putting such an expensive product on the ice (that as a fan I fully appreciate them spending almost every darn cent they pull in to put as much on the ice as they can). If they make a coaching change and a few other changes fans will see this as an attempt to right the ship and will feel that 2014 can result in a much better outcome.


Or it could be seen as.... :scared:

If fans are going to fall off the wagon because of a few non championship years, then so be it. They will be back once the team is back on top. No loss there. Every team cannot win every year. I would much rather Shero seem as though he is in control than a fire everything that moves and hope it works kind of guy.

This team just needs some speed and young legs (ie: Chicago Blackhawks). How this will be done? Anyone's guess but... In Shero I Trust.


Yes, but why let that craze wane? Show the fans you are doing something to make next year better and keep them hungry for next year. Send 29 and DB packing, bring in a coach that will show some faith in our exciting rookies like Depres and Bennett. Maybe also bring up another one of these highly touted rookie D men and start playing him as well.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 am

Two years for Bylsma, Granato and Riordan. Shero has faith, wish I had it too.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am

:meltdown:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,342
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 pm

It's sad to think that we're going to be the favorites to win the cup the next two years and I still think he should be fired.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,219
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: on the interwebz

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby no name on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm

From the articles i read it says Shero had to labor hard for Bylsma. Now was that fight for an extension or for him to just keep his job? The fact he wants to keep Fleury is not suprising, we really don't have any other better options in net at this time and going forward. Fleury can get us to the Dance. But the question is can he get a dance with the Prom Queen. aka Lord Stanley.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,910
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Desiato wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Desiato wrote:If the Pens keep DB, it is wise to sign him to an extension to better avoid a lame-duck situation. Just because they like him does not mean players will not take advantage.


Why? What is wrong with making him coach for his job? Giving an extension tells him (and us) that things are just fine as they are now and have been the last four years.


I already said why: to avoid a lame duck situation. A lame-duck coach is one who does not have a vote of confidence from upper management--such as a contract that extends past the end of the season--and therefore loses authority.

On another note: I am so uncomfortable about the love the Pens locker room apparently expresses towards DB. That ain't right. Respect yes, love no. To me it suggests he's not feeding them enough of what they don't like, but is good for them.


Are coaches so girly and emotional they need to be held in the GM's arms and assured everything's OK? What happened to doing your job, finishing your contract, and getting a new one. I don't get that kind of thinking. I hope he's on a short leash anyway, but does it really matter. We'll have a good reg. season again, and possibly get disappointed in the playoffs. Expectations for me are so-so.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm

I will want to see a fresh approach on the ice starting early in the season.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: champeen, It'sagreatdayforhockey! and 13 guests

e-mail