bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 am

Steve wrote:Except that the results have not been the same.

This isn't directed at anyone above this thread - but I don't know what's worse, making excuses for the things that Bylsma has done well, or making excuses for the things that he's failed at.

He's failed at the more important things.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:26 am

MarioLives wrote:I would fire both Bylsma and Shero for even thinking about going to a New Kids concert. I did not know men liked that type of thing. You want that type of man running this organization?

New Kids?? Really?? :)

After the last two humiliating playoff exits, I would fire Bylsma and Shero both, to be honest.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Wyopen on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Wyopen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:My interest in the team does not hinge on who the coach is.

Really! What was Einstein's definition of insanity? "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Your point?

I don't know what his point is, but that definition sure sounds like the Penguins with Bylsma as HC.

Bingo!
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 am

Steve Dave wrote:Shero and Blysma hanging tough!

http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freakshow. ... e=11381603

Most disturbing bit of that story is that they're at a NKOTB concert. Then you have Sid who likes Justin Bieber. I mean, COME ON.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 am

llipgh2 wrote:I'm sticking with my earlier theory. DB here, Granato and Reirdon gone. Replacements NOT of DB's choosing. One or both capable of replacing DB at a moment's notice.

And DB has an extension. Not as a reward, but if fired Pens have right to refuse to grant interviews.

I would actually be okay with this, as it puts some pressure on Bylsma to make changes to his approach and to actually coach for his job, a bit. I also like it because it's clear some fresh faces are needed. They probably won't be able to land a Vigneault or Ruff with such a tactic, but they might be able to land a Tocchet, Boucher, King-type coach. Come to think of it, Keeping Bylsma and bringing in Boucher could be a nice combo. Boucher's defensive approach might rub off on Bylsma and vice versa -- the combination could be just what's needed.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:34 am

Defence21 wrote:Keeping Bylsma and bringing in Boucher could be a nice combo. Boucher's defensive approach might rub off on Bylsma and vice versa -- the combination could be just what's needed.

Isn't that what was said of Tony Granato and Dan Bylsma?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:36 am

Defence21 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:I'm sticking with my earlier theory. DB here, Granato and Reirdon gone. Replacements NOT of DB's choosing. One or both capable of replacing DB at a moment's notice.

And DB has an extension. Not as a reward, but if fired Pens have right to refuse to grant interviews.

I would actually be okay with this, as it puts some pressure on Bylsma to make changes to his approach and to actually coach for his job, a bit. I also like it because it's clear some fresh faces are needed. They probably won't be able to land a Vigneault or Ruff with such a tactic, but they might be able to land a Tocchet, Boucher, King-type coach. Come to think of it, Keeping Bylsma and bringing in Boucher could be a nice combo. Boucher's defensive approach might rub off on Bylsma and vice versa -- the combination could be just what's needed.

I like the Boucher idea, but it's probably a pipe dream. Even promoting Hynes could be a decent idea. He's known to play the same system as DB, but holds players accountable and isn't afraid of being in a players face more than Bylsma does. While the system might not change, the attitude might with Hynes on board.

Who knows. I'd rather just rid of DB.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am

Oh noes there's a table not a podium!

Oh noeszzz!!!!!!111
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:
Steve wrote:Except that the results have not been the same.

This isn't directed at anyone above this thread - but I don't know what's worse, making excuses for the things that Bylsma has done well, or making excuses for the things that he's failed at.

He's failed at the more important things.

To wit, and as noted elsewhere, no one remembers the Presidents Cup winner (regular season) everyone remembers the Stanley Cup winner (post-season).
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 am

bhaw wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:
Rylan wrote:All coaches have a system that they don't deviate from. That is a joke argument. Do you think Torts changes his system? Or Ruff? Or Babcock? Or any other bloody coach? If you honestly think that that is a reason to fire Bylsma you are going to be sorely disappointed in life. Fire Bylsma for other reasons, but because he doesn't change his system is a silly one.

And he did in fact change things by tightening up the teams play in the Boston series. The team played a better defensive game which was an adjustment that everyone clamored for. The Pens had opportunities to finish, just because they didn't doesn't make it Bylsma's fault. Goodness me.

Silly me to suggest that the Pens should change a system that doesn't work. You're right, life is just meaningless now.

Silly you to think that a coach is going to change a strategy that has been effective all season for one team. That is silly. No coach ever does that. You will be firing coaches every season if that is your expectation.

I was going to let this go on and not involve myself until this. Coaches adjust to their opponents in the playoffs all the time. Boston's base defense never changed, but they absolutely made changes to completely neutralize the 2 strategies the Pens use for moving the puck into the offensive zone. DB's problem is he either doesn't want to or can't do the same in return (or he can't get his players to execute some master plan to change). He sat there for 4 games and watched his best players get stifled by anywhere from 2-4 Bruins when they entered the offensive zone. I can't think of another good coach that would watch that happen for 4 straight games and walk away feeling like they had more chances than either the Ottawa series of the NYI series.

Couple that with DB's inability to formulate a defensive system. What is ours? Literally it looks like guys are just supposed to look around for the closest guy and cover them. The NYI series was the joke of all jokes. They exposed every hole on defense we had, they just didn't have the fire power to out play us. Fleury played horrible, but the downward spiral started because the NYI exposed that we have trouble covering guys at the goal line. If it looked familiar, it's the same stuff Philly exposed last year with close in cross ice passes and allowing us to over-pursue pucks and passing right into the open space created by the pursuit of the puck.

And please go on about how it's acceptable to run an 0-15 PP out there without making a single change. You're telling me there are no coaches that would make an adjustment there? please...

DB is getting outclassed in the playoffs every year. If he gets retained, I'll live, but I certainly won't have any expectations going into the post season other than figuring out what round we get bounced in again. My confidence in DB's ability to get us to another finals is literally 0.01% right now. He's entirely too slow to even consider making a change, much less a significant one to help his team. Sid and Malkin will be very good for a while, but he's going to absolutely burn more of their best years if he sticks around. I would put money on that.

The Pens didn't outplay Boston anywhere. Boston played exactly how they wanted. In no game did we ever look in control to win it. They only blew us out in one game, but Rask sure didn't have to make too many spectacular saves to keep them in it. They laid the trap, we walked into it. You could almost see Boston surprised that we continued to walk into it in game 4. For the record, I am giving Boston credit. At the same time, it's easy to look good when the team you are playing keeps trying the same thing over and over and over and over.

bhaw, ftw
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:44 am

Hi. Toronto scored 18 goals in 7 games vs Boston. We scored 2 in 4 games. Bye.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 am

in about 7 minutes...half the board will be happy, praising the Pens management, the other half will be mad, bashing the Pens management.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 am

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 2m

From what I'm being told Dan Bylsma is safe and Shero will be saying just that at today's presser.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 am

columbia wrote:

From what I'm being told Dan Bylsma is safe and Shero will be saying just that at today's presser.

I bet you're happy
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 am

so should we be blaming the players now? Gather the torches and pitchforks....get the bums!!!
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 am

SolidSnake wrote:
columbia wrote:

I bet you're happy

Nah...I think he should be fired after the latest disaster.

Predicting reality isn't equal to approving of it. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 am

since1970 wrote:so should we be blaming the players now? Gather the torches and pitchforks....get the bums!!!

We blame nobody. And keep forking over our money to this
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby since1970 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 am

11:02 and all is well!!
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:03 am

since1970 wrote:so should we be blaming the players now? Gather the torches and pitchforks....get the bums!!!

If DB is retained, then confidence will be lost in Shero. He will no longer be beyond reproach and will face greater scrutiny through next season.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

Desiato wrote:

If DB is retained, then confidence will be lost in Shero. He will no longer be beyond reproach and will face greater scrutiny through next season.

Let's not get crazy. Take a few steps back, maybe sit the next couple plays out.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

Desiato wrote:

Face scrutiny from who?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am

with DB coming back 2013/14 roster is going to be interesting
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

Ray Shero has done pretty much anything and everything that has been asked of him and has built a fantastic team. I'm not so sure keeping DB on is a sunken battleship. Do I think it's time for Dan to go? Yes, but it's not the end of the world if he stays.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby since1970 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am

is the web page slow, or did Ray not make the proper adjustments to his schedule?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am

He's late for this press conference, another sign of the country club atmosphere.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins