A Shero quote I don't like

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:28 pm

“. The goal is to have a team that can entertain the fans, that can compete for a Cup and put ourselves in that position.”
-Ray Shero

Maybe I'm being super critical, but I dont think entertaining the fans should be the first thing out of his mouth. It further pushes the whole "we're getting sellouts and making money so its all good" mantra that some are suggesting in light of the "status quo" with regards to DB/MAF etc....and I kinda believe them.

Another argument I don't like while I'm spouting off here is the whole "dan bylsma is one of the winningest coaches by win % in history!!!11!"
If you gave the rosters he's had to my grandma she could have given Dan a run for his money on that win %

/end
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby MarioLives on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I think you are looking into too much. If all he cared about is sellouts and money, they would not trade for Iggy, Morrow, Murray. They also would not have spent over the cap when crosby was out a few years ago. Wanting to be entertaining is fine as long as the cup is the ultimate goal. He states both there.

Shero makes huge trade line deals almost every year. That is not done if you don't want the cup
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 pm

This is a business, but one founded on entertainment. If hockey was boring nobody would watch it. That's the reason it exists. I saw this quote and knew somebody would rip it apart. I, for one, am glad that my happiness is a very high priority on Shero's list. Entertaining hockey (read: winning hockey) brings me utility. Thanks GM. :thumb:

In most respects, I agree with you on the Bylsma front.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Entertaining hockey (read: winning hockey)

This is the crux of the argument. If entertaining hockey means winning hockey, then this team would have a different philosophy. But entertaining hockey as it's meant in this context means offensive, star powered hockey, which does not equate directly to winning hockey.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Keep digging people, I am sure you are bound to figure out what he truly meant.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 pm

It's the Barca / Arsenal style!

Or Brazil / Netherlands, if you want a more international team.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 pm

He also called himself a decent GM. He's obviously satisfied with being decent. They should fire him and hire Lindy Ruff as a GM/Coach, similar to Patrick Roy in Colorado.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Avyran wrote:It's the Barca / Arsenal style!

Anything wrong with that?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Nah. Just saying there's a precedent to wanting / desiring to play a more... flavorful / ("beautiful" in soccer terms) style of play, especially in the soccer world.

I just gotta hope that the coach is willing to sometimes play strong defense when its needed, not pound the same style even if it's not succeeding.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Avyran wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

Nah. Just saying there's a precedent to wanting / desiring to play a more... flavorful / ("beautiful" in soccer terms) style of play, especially in the soccer world.

I just gotta hope that the coach is willing to sometimes play strong defense when its needed, not pound the same style even if it's not succeeding.

Gotcha.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Rylan wrote:Keep digging people, I am sure you are bound to figure out what he truly meant.

I think crazy has finally set in amongst this board.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I think resigning DB to a two year extension pretty much says it all. More than any words that have come out of his mouth so far. And although I personally would not have worded exactly the way he did, bringing entertainment to the fans IS part of the teams job.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rocco on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I have no problem with him not wanting to build a team that wins like the mid-90s Devils.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 am

Rocco wrote:I have no problem with him not wanting to build a team that wins like the mid-90s Devils.

Seems we are going the other extreme though with losing like the mid 90's Pens or the Sharks. It's a shame we can't play like Buffalo when they were pressing for the Cup Finals or the Kings as of late. Combine that philosophy and this talent and that's great hockey that should win.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:“. The goal is to have a team that can entertain the fans, that can compete for a Cup and put ourselves in that position.”
-Ray Shero

Maybe I'm being super critical, but
/end
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 am

The Pens could win 10 cups but if they played like the 90s devils I wouldn't bother watching them.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby maopens on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 am

Sports is an entertainment business first and foremost to owners and investors. Not that Mario doesn't want to win, but he needs to run a profitable business first, otherwise there is no business.

Look at college football, the switch to the spread offenses, high speed, lots of points, lots of excitement. It sells more seats, creates more highlights, crowds seem to like it more than a good old 7-3 defensive game. The Pens are built to be that spread offense in the NHL, score lots of goals, they are not built to play 2-1 games. Like it or not, the Pens sellout, sell lots of merchandise and have the highest television ratings of any team in the league. They've been built to be exciting to watch and that sells and that makes money in the entertainment world. It may or may not be the way to build a cup winning team but it is the way to build a profitable team.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 am

I don't necessarily think we should put yesterday's speech under a microscope. He seemed to be scrambling quiet a bit to justify his decision on Bylsma and also the trades he made. You could tell he knows there is a lot of criticism going around. But he has his vision and that's that.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 am

That's what I'm saying. Are they trying to build and play for a cup or to be profitable. I know they're not mutually exclusive but to me a 2-1 game is just as good if not better than a 6-5 game
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:03 am

I'd guess both, but if you listed their priorities, i'd say Profit is #1.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby danish_penguin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 am

I don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing! Who want to watch a Penguins version of the New Jersey Devils?
danish_penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am

danish_penguin wrote:It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!

Nice!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am

danish_penguin wrote:I don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing! Who want to watch a Penguins version of the New Jersey Devils?

ha! one of my favorites :P
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 am

danish_penguin wrote:I don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing! Who want to watch a Penguins version of the New Jersey Devils?

The devs were in the final 3/4 years at the turn of the millennium.

Just sayin.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:30 am

When you have Sid and Geno on your team there is always going to be an element of entertainment that most teams will be unable to match. If you go to a slightly more defensive system you aren't all the sudden going to become the anti-hockey New Jersey Devils. Those two will still create chances and score highlight-type goals. There is a difference between Letang playing as a pseudo-forward (ultra-offensive) and five behind the puck, clogging everything up (ultra-defensive).
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins