Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 am

a while ago someone posted that link to redbubble that has the movie posters that look like barcodes. did anyone end up buying one?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 am

tifosi77 wrote:Finally got around to watching "Les Misérables" on ye BluRay. This is coming from an abashed fan of the stage musical, so.......

Spoiler:
[spoiler]I was totally fine with most of the changes made to the libretto and staging, the additions, and the spoken dialog. However, one thing was almost singularly terrible: Russell Crowe. The man's voice was soft and wimpy. Javert is supposed to have an unearthly bellow, which makes the contrast with Valjean's more soaring vocals the more sharp, and gives the Inspector a menace. The fact that the he was singing in the same voice as Valjean, especially during the confrontation scene after Fantine dies, totally gutted the tension that was supposed to be in the vocal lines. It was just two dudes singing while they fought. Which was kinda dumb. Every time I saw him appear on screen, it made me sad.

But I was a hot mess when Fantine sang "I Dreamed A Dream". That was some good stuff, wow. And I quite liked how Thénardier went from a houh-houh-houh outrageous French accent to the more acceptable "stage Cockney-French" mid-performance. I thought that was actually kinda funny. Overall he and HBC did pretty credible jobs. The standout vocal performance was Samantha Barks, which I guess is to be expected as she actually played the role (Éponine) on stage. Hugh Jackman did a pretty fantastic job as well, but it was a real treat seeing Colm Wilkinson (the original stage Valjean) as the Bishop of Digne.
[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
my problem with Russel Crowe and Javert was that he just wasn't convincing enough to really care that much to kill himself and that's not necessarily on Crowe. That aside, the more I rewatch this, the more I actually like Crowes performance. What did you think about Marius?
Last edited by eddysnake on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 am

Watched The Prince and Me on Saturday. :pop: Watched something else, I can't remember what it was though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:51 am

I never noticed how much lens flare JJ Abrams used until someone here mentioned it. My God....it's EVERYWHERE!!!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Premium Rush was decent.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm

eddysnake wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Finally got around to watching "Les Misérables" on ye BluRay. This is coming from an abashed fan of the stage musical, so.......

Spoiler:
[spoiler]I was totally fine with most of the changes made to the libretto and staging, the additions, and the spoken dialog. However, one thing was almost singularly terrible: Russell Crowe. The man's voice was soft and wimpy. Javert is supposed to have an unearthly bellow, which makes the contrast with Valjean's more soaring vocals the more sharp, and gives the Inspector a menace. The fact that the he was singing in the same voice as Valjean, especially during the confrontation scene after Fantine dies, totally gutted the tension that was supposed to be in the vocal lines. It was just two dudes singing while they fought. Which was kinda dumb. Every time I saw him appear on screen, it made me sad.

But I was a hot mess when Fantine sang "I Dreamed A Dream". That was some good stuff, wow. And I quite liked how Thénardier went from a houh-houh-houh outrageous French accent to the more acceptable "stage Cockney-French" mid-performance. I thought that was actually kinda funny. Overall he and HBC did pretty credible jobs. The standout vocal performance was Samantha Barks, which I guess is to be expected as she actually played the role (Éponine) on stage. Hugh Jackman did a pretty fantastic job as well, but it was a real treat seeing Colm Wilkinson (the original stage Valjean) as the Bishop of Digne.

Spoiler:
my problem with Russel Crowe and Javert was that he just wasn't convincing enough to really care that much to kill himself and that's not necessarily on Crowe. That aside, the more I rewatch this, the more I actually like Crowes performance. What did you think about Marius?

He was okay, neither good nor bad. The problem I had with him was he reminded me of a Formula One driver named Jenson Button, so every time he popped on screen I was like "Jens!" I mean, he doesn't really look that much like the driver, but it was enough that it was distracting. Not his fault, of course.

After watching the movie, I went down the Les Miz meme rabbit hole for about half an hour. Lots of funny "friend zone" pics of Éponine :wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Speaking of Formula 1, Ron Howard has a new movie about James Hunt coming out sometime this year
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:55 pm

It's called "Rush" and it's about the 1975 World Championship. That season was pretty dramatic and is sort of dear to F1 fans, so they've got a big job in getting it right. But what I've seen of it so far is absolutely spectacular. The guy playing Niki Lauda is uncanny. Look, sound.... he is Lauda.

Fwiw, the rain in the shots from the final race (Fuji) is very important to the outcome of the story. But probably not how you'd imagine.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:37 pm

im ready for man of steel
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 am

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 am

Orlando Bloom cashing in.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Why does he have a mustache in one scene and the other blonde hair and pointy ears?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Orlando Bloom cashing in.

On that sweet elven immortality.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 pm

has anyone seen Cloud Atlas?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

eddysnake wrote:Why does he have a mustache in one scene and the other blonde hair and pointy ears?

I guess you'll have to see the movie...evil dwarf twin?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:04 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Why does he have a mustache in one scene and the other blonde hair and pointy ears?

I guess you'll have to see the movie...evil dwarf twin?

two times the Bloom? Oh my!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Thought the same thing when I watched it. Turns out, that's Bard the Bowman played by Luke Evans.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am

Going to go see This is the end today.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 am

eddysnake wrote:has anyone seen Cloud Atlas?

Yes. Search feature is your friend :wink:

Here were my thoughts then, which haven't changed:

Cloud Atlas" was solid. Felt a little long, but not nearly as long as it actually was, since it keeps you pretty engaged throughout the whole thing. Contrary to what some have said, the themes and ideas the movie deals with aren't overly complex -- it's just the way they are presented that can trip you up. Even if the movie weren't good (and it is good), it's exciting in itself to watch something this extremely ambitious on screen, and it's shame it's not doing well at the box office. I love seeing directors take big risks like this, and it's something we don't see nearly enough.

To add to that -- Great score (read this before you watch, in regard to the score), great editing. I will definitely rewatch again, it's just a matter of finding the time -- pretty busy nowadays.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 am

watched Oz last night...really, really, really enjoyed it. the monkey friend buddy was hilarious.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:50 am

canaan wrote:watched Oz last night...really, really, really enjoyed it. the monkey friend buddy was hilarious.

have that sitting at the house, kids are really, really, really excited for this one. this is good to hear.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:50 am

Watched Hitchcocks "The Lady Vanishes" last night, top notch!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 am

meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:has anyone seen Cloud Atlas?

Yes. Search feature is your friend :wink:

Here were my thoughts then, which haven't changed:

Cloud Atlas" was solid. Felt a little long, but not nearly as long as it actually was, since it keeps you pretty engaged throughout the whole thing. Contrary to what some have said, the themes and ideas the movie deals with aren't overly complex -- it's just the way they are presented that can trip you up. Even if the movie weren't good (and it is good), it's exciting in itself to watch something this extremely ambitious on screen, and it's shame it's not doing well at the box office. I love seeing directors take big risks like this, and it's something we don't see nearly enough.

To add to that -- Great score (read this before you watch, in regard to the score), great editing. I will definitely rewatch again, it's just a matter of finding the time -- pretty busy nowadays.

Thanks, I must have done something wrong, because nothing came up in the search...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 am

Hrm. Well that is strange indeed.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:28 pm

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:watched Oz last night...really, really, really enjoyed it. the monkey friend buddy was hilarious.

have that sitting at the house, kids are really, really, really excited for this one. this is good to hear.

its nothing revolutionary, but its a fun time. a lot of little subtleties that make you smirk. mila isn't too bad looking either.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR