Pens Fans Frustrations

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens Fans Frustrations

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I've usually taken a pretty relaxed approach when things aren't working out. I've never been quick to want players traded or coaches fired, but when I reach that point, yeah, I can have Tunnel Vision.

I stuck behind Fleury through all the times fans wanted him gone until I reached my limit this year.

I stuck behind Martin until very late last season until he was just purely atrocious.

I would never have dared suggest trading Letang...until now, and honestly not because of how bad he was(since everyone else was equally as bad), because it doesn't make financial sense.

I believed more strongly in Bylsma AFTER we lost to Tampa and while we lost that series in a bad way, what caught up with the team was not his doing. He made that team play team defense for the first time I've seen in a dog's age. But where did that go?

I believed in Shero. I believed that Shero would make all the right acquisitions this year, and he did. I would never have dreamed of questioning how great of a GM he is....until now.

Yeah, I'm disappointed Bylsma will be extended. Yes, I'm disappointed at the positive Fleury rhetoric. I'm disappointed on the Letang rhetoric.

Why am I so disappointed and frustrated?
Because there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency to fix what is wrong. I'm frustrated because Shero seems to believe that the kids are alright, everything is fine and nothing needs to be tweaked.

Honestly, I wouldn't feel so bad about the Penguins being eliminated in the Eastern Conference Finals. I think making it to the ECF is a great accomplishment. If this series was a hard-fought battle and it went six or seven games, I'd say fine, we made it pretty far and now it's time to regroup. But that didn't happen. We were swept, outplayed, out-coached and offensively neutered.

The Penguins are a joke right now. They are the punchline of many jokes and off-handed comments in the media. This quote bothered me the most even though it came from a website that is itself a joke. This is commentary about how the Bruins will have to adjust when they play the Hawks:

When a team defeats the Penguins the next series is tricky because the team grows accustomed to playing without backcheckers on them and get used to playing with space.

Do I care what people think? No. But what does this say? The Penguins are predictable and sadly this comment is 100% correct. I'm more angry that a moron hit the nail on the head and this wasn't someone like Mike Milbury just being a hater.

Let me be clear, I'm not looking for Shero to fire people and make trades for the sake of it. He doesn't even necessarily need to make any moves at all. But to say he's happy with how things are is what is worrisome.

Shero has given no indication that he thinks there are issue to be addressed. To think that everything is fine after not only getting swept, but only registering two goals in the ECF is my issue. This makes me question Shero's ability to be effective in building this team for success.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens Fans Frustrations

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 am

Just because they don't say it publicly, doesn't mean it's all rainbows and sunshine.

I don't care if we're the ones paying the money, we don't deserve to know jack about what is said behind closed doors.

Fans can run around all day with their tinfoil hats on. I guarantee Shero, coaches, and players aren't content where they are at no matter what they say to the media/fans.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am

Beveridge wrote:Just because they don't say it publicly, doesn't mean it's all rainbows and sunshine.

I don't care if we're the ones paying the money, we don't deserve to know jack about what is said behind closed doors.

Fans can run around all day with their tinfoil hats on. I guarantee Shero, coaches, and players aren't content where they are at no matter what they say to the media/fans.

Seconded.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am

My only issue right now is whether the "system" itself has shown that it can be defeated structurally by inferior teams with the proper focus. It would seem that had been shown to be true now.

The next logical question is whether Bylsma is planning on changing his approach as a coach.

The next logical question is then whether he is capable of coaching a different style.

That's a lot of major, philosophical discussion that could have been answered now via a coaching change to a new guy with a track record in the NHL of being a defense-first guy. That move would have shown where we are going. Now we are either sticking with the same system again or we have a guy coaching us who has never shown a mindset like I think we all perceive as needed.

It was said earlier in the year, and I think the timing was off at the time, but now I do feel like we've become the Caps of a few seasons back. The same all-offense team we used to torture ourselves.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 am

There is laughter at Penguins around the league right now and much of it is justified. We have no one but ourselves to blame.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am

The Snapshot wrote:My only issue right now is whether the "system" itself has shown that it can be defeated structurally by inferior teams with the proper focus. It would seem that had been shown to be true now.

The next logical question is whether Bylsma is planning on changing his approach as a coach.

The next logical question is then whether he is capable of coaching a different style.

That's a lot of major, philosophical discussion that could have been answered now via a coaching change to a new guy with a track record in the NHL of being a defense-first guy. That move would have shown where we are going. Now we are either sticking with the same system again or we have a guy coaching us who has never shown a mindset like I think we all perceive as needed.

It was said earlier in the year, and I think the timing was off at the time, but now I do feel like we've become the Caps of a few seasons back. The same all-offense team we used to torture ourselves.

This confuses me though.

Sans game 2, we played pretty defensively in the Boston series.

If before the Boston series I said in 3 games we'll allow 3, 2, and 1 goals, that would have been more than acceptable.

If anything needs changed it's how to beat a team that is preventing the offense to run it's normal course. We haven't had an answer for that over the years.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am

Beveridge wrote:Fans can run around all day with their tinfoil hats on. I guarantee Shero, coaches, and players aren't content where they are at no matter what they say to the media/fans.

I'm sure that's the case, but how do we fix things. Is staying with what we currently have enough? Is Bylsma going to make meaningful changes to his style.. discipline, a more defensive-minded 5on5, some alternative to the PP when it's not working. Sounds like Fleury is seeking some help over the summer, so that's a good start. Quotes from Shero on MAF are really interesting.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4184529-74/fleury-shero-marc#axzz2W2G9pNWI
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Still looking for the Malone replacement. I'd like GM Shero to delivered the wing who plants himself at the goalie; can skate side to side and has the hands to score goals.

My frustration is at the players and coach who in the conference finals, blanked away an entire game.
I have not seen play like that since 2003-04.

I like and respect the way GM Ray Shero does business and his demeanor with the fans and the media.

Next year it's back to the 82 game season; more time during the ebb and flow of the season to make changes.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Beveridge wrote:Just because they don't say it publicly, doesn't mean it's all rainbows and sunshine.

Seconded.

Thirded.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah who knows what, if any, conditions were put on DB along with the extension.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Maybe it's time to reevaluate your level of Pens fandom.

I'm being serious.

If the Pens management, and they have stated exactly this, are more interested in "entertaining" fans than they are winning Cups-- maybe you need to readjust your expectations of this team.

Bylsma has shown he is not capable of managing this team wholly on his own to success against opposing coaches. Removing the Cup year, which was honestly more Michel Therrien's Cup (even if his name isn't on it) than Bylsma's- he is below 500 in the playoffs. That should not be acceptable. Anywhere. Let alone with a franchise stacked with talent like the Penguins, including the two "best" players in the world.

If the Penguins management finds that acceptable; then if you wish to remain a rabid Penguin fan YOU have to accept it as well. Just like a Caps fan.

If you however don't find that acceptable, then it might be time to tune down your "care-O-meter" dial and find something else to pour your heart into.

This is for your own good.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Beveridge wrote:Sans game 2, we played pretty defensively in the Boston series.

Defense was terrible in game 1 too; there were a lot of turnovers, especially during the second half. The problem with the defensive style the Pens implemented through parts of last season and in games 3 and 4 is that it's weak offensively.

I have been highly critical of DB's systems, but I saw a lot of growth this past season. I would have liked to see the Pens go in a different direction, but I believe DB has the potential to improve. Outside of a meltdown or player revolt, it looks like he's going to get at least one more chance to redeem himself in the playoffs. All we can do is keep posting good advice for them to read here.

It seems to me that Shero is open to the idea of significant roster changes. Hopefully that includes acquiring a net presence and a PP quarterback who can setup rebounds and deflections--or at least get the puck on net some of the time.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:12 pm

penmyst wrote:Maybe it's time to reevaluate your level of Pens fandom.

I'm being serious.

If the Pens management, and they have stated exactly this, are more interested in "entertaining" fans than they are winning Cups-- maybe you need to readjust your expectations of this team.

Bylsma has shown he is not capable of managing this team wholly on his own to success against opposing coaches. Removing the Cup year, which was honestly more Michel Therrien's Cup (even if his name isn't on it) than Bylsma's- he is below 500 in the playoffs. That should not be acceptable. Anywhere. Let alone with a franchise stacked with talent like the Penguins, including the two "best" players in the world.

If the Penguins management finds that acceptable; then if you wish to remain a rabid Penguin fan YOU have to accept it as well. Just like a Caps fan.

If you however don't find that acceptable, then it might be time to tune down your "care-O-meter" dial and find something else to pour your heart into.

This is for your own good.

or just deal with it, you spoiled brats.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Not everything has to be approached cynically and calculatedly according to some moving target of a return on investment.

I'm born and raised from Pittsburgh. I love Pittsburgh. I love hockey; it's my favorite sport. The Pittsburgh Penguins are the professional hockey team that represents my hometown. I've rooted for the Pittsburgh Penguins for well over 25 years. They've brought me joy, thrilled me, made me nervous, befuddled me, and, yes, disappointed me.

They've survived trying times, and relatively speaking, they're in an enviable position today. Win or lose, "good" decisions or "bad," they still fill an important place in my life as both an escape from the mundane and an enduring connection to my history, my family, and my home.

I'm not a sheep. But this simple approach is for my own good. I'll reevaluate nothing. :D

I'm just voicing an opinion from a faction of the fan community that I feel gets lost sometimes. Cheers! :fist:

Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Gaucho wrote:[youtube]Fitting XTC Selection[/youtube]

:thumb: :lol: Good evening, Gaucho!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Going to bed now, so good night!

Oh, and Wasp Star is a very underrated album.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 pm

penny lane wrote:Still looking for the Malone replacement. I'd like GM Shero to delivered the wing who plants himself at the goalie; can skate side to side and has the hands to score goals.

My frustration is at the players and coach who in the conference finals, blanked away an entire game.
I have not seen play like that since 2003-04.

I like and respect the way GM Ray Shero does business and his demeanor with the fans and the media.

Next year it's back to the 82 game season; more time during the ebb and flow of the season to make changes.

That was Morrow but he was only used like that for about 2 games before HCDB coached it up. Heck his very first game here he took on that role with Malkin and Neal and those 2 had all the room they ever wanted.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penmyst on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Kaizer wrote:
or just deal with it, you spoiled brats.

What you quoted, is what's called "dealing with it."

Fans can't change it. Pens aren't changing it. Get used to underperforming in the spring, and disappointing seasons.

Already have had plenty of practice dealing with subpar sports from watching the Pirates for 30 years.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins