A Shero quote I don't like

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm

The word 'entertain' can be tricky. Not sure it can be applied to hockey the same way it can to music, but I think that's what the OP is saying. There can be entertainment (some cheap pop group) and there can also be inspiration by an artist (a great jazz musician). Both relate to music, but there is a difference. I don't merely want to be entertained by the Penguins. I want to see greatness. I don't need a team that can score 5 goals each game. I want a team that is tough to beat, even if it has to play the trap at times. I basically want a team with the goal of winning the cup at any cost. Entertainment comes second.

I am not judging Shero on this because it probably just came out like that. He knows the business and he knows he has to make it fun, but I'm also sure he remembers this is about winning and making history.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby penmyst on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Sarcastic wrote:The word 'entertain' can be tricky. Not sure it can be applied to hockey the same way it can to music, but I think that's what the OP is saying. There can be entertainment (some cheap pop group) and there can also be inspiration by an artist (a great jazz musician). Both relate to music, but there is a difference. I don't merely want to be entertained by the Penguins. I want to see greatness. I don't need a team that can score 5 goals each game. I want a team that is tough to beat, even if it has to play the trap at times. I basically want a team with the goal of winning the cup at any cost. Entertainment comes second.

I am not judging Shero on this because it probably just came out like that. He knows the business and he knows he has to make it fun, but I'm also sure he remembers this is about winning and making history.


How are you sure? He stated the entertaining part before he tossed in the bit about "competing" for a Cup. The important parts usually come first.

If his boss finds that acceptable, then fans around here better get used to it. Lots of regular season fun, followed by early embarrassing exits from the playoffs when the other teams get serious about winning Cups before "entertaining" anybody.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,337
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Desiato on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 pm

I think too much is being read into the press conference. It was a PR event. Shero was there to present a positive front to the announcements he knew would be controversial. He went off on some silly tangents, but I'm pretty sure they were meaningless. We can only speculate about what's going on behind the scenes. He wasn't there to give us an explanation - none is owed.

I know that Mario is fiercely competitive, therefore it's my belief that he's more embarrassed than some fans are. I doubt the mood is as light as the Pens would like us to think. Some popular players may be leaving. PR is very important right now.

But at the same time, the Pens are right to count their blessings. This is one of the most successful franchises in the league. 2013 was a very entertaining season. 2014 should be as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how the team evolves. It may also be an exciting off-season.

Shero isn't doing what I'd do either, but at the end of the day, it's his prerogative -- and in Mario I trust.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Getting To My Game on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 pm

The Pens are whizzing away legitimate opportunities to win the Stanley Cup, year by year, oh well, at least we'll get an entertaining November next year.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Desiato on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:The Pens are whizzing away legitimate opportunities to win the Stanley Cup, year by year, oh well, at least we'll get an entertaining November next year.


Every team has weaknesses that limit success. I guarantee I'm as disappointed as you, but we have no choice but to suck it up and move on. And seriously.. does anyone here actually think they're more competitive than Mario? It's really absurd to question his, and thereby the Pens, will to win.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Getting To My Game on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Desiato wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:The Pens are whizzing away legitimate opportunities to win the Stanley Cup, year by year, oh well, at least we'll get an entertaining November next year.


Every team has weaknesses that limit success. I guarantee I'm as disappointed as you, but we have no choice but to suck it up and move on. And seriously.. does anyone here actually think they're more competitive than Mario? It's really absurd to question his, and thereby the Pens, will to win.


It's all frustration, man. I'm just tired of losing to inferior teams in the postseason.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby penmyst on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Desiato wrote:I think too much is being read into the press conference.


Those things are planned, controlled, and intentional. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is said off the cuff or accidental. Which is why they are rote and boring as all get out.

If he specifically chose those words, then that is specifically what he meant. Words mean things.

Desiato wrote:Every team has weaknesses that limit success. I guarantee I'm as disappointed as you, but we have no choice but to suck it up and move on. And seriously.. does anyone here actually think they're more competitive than Mario? It's really absurd to question his, and thereby the Pens, will to win.


I don't question Mario's will to win.

I do however note that Mario, as a former player that wasn't known for his hard-nosed working man attitude, is quite likely to be A-OK with HCDB because he's a players' coach.

Might make him feel good. Won't win him any more Cups.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,337
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 am

my least favorite shero quote was the one where he announced byslma getting two more years.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: A Shero quote I don't like

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Meh, you choose this one? That whole conference was filled with much worse quotes... At first I overreacted and thought Shero believed most of it, looking back I realize he had to try to justify keeping DB / showing a ton of faith in him (what was he going to say, we are keeping him.. but he has a short lease?) lol.. Hence why he basically spoke on how wonderful everything is for an hour
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,468
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelPen, dyoung7506, Guido, JS©, KingPen66, offsides, RJW76, Rocco, sharpshootr55, slipshod and 93 guests

e-mail