Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Is that the one with James Franco?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Is that the one with James Franco?

Yes, he plays Oz.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Is that the one with James Franco?

Yes, he plays Oz James Franco playing Oz.

FIFY
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 pm

that is a little closer to the truth. franco is the weak spot of the cast because his acting abilities rank up there with a mutilated cactus and a rank pair of eddysnake's stryper underdraws he used to rock back in the day.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

canaan wrote:that is a little closer to the truth. franco is the weak spot of the cast because his acting abilities rank up there with a mutilated cactus and a rank pair of eddysnake's stryper underdraws he used to rock back in the day.

That's Academy Award nominee James Franco to you, buddy
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I was just clarifying that it was Oz the Great and Powerful that was being discussed. Not speaking to the acting qualities of an actor whose three best roles were "himself", "Movie stoner", and "TV stoner".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Stand Up Guys. Not bad planefare. Actually got better as it went along with a nice plot.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm

This is the end

Very good movie and actually well written. The story was good and watching all gbr actors playing basically themselves was funny
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Watched as much of the original Fantastic Four movie (Roger Corman directed from 1994) as I could stomach. Made it about 45 minutes.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:24 pm

The Cabin In The Woods...on Netflix. Amazing "horror" movie, and absolutely hilarious. Any horror buff NEEDS to see it.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:32 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
canaan wrote:that is a little closer to the truth. franco is the weak spot of the cast because his acting abilities rank up there with a mutilated cactus and a rank pair of eddysnake's stryper underdraws he used to rock back in the day.

That's Academy Award nominee James Franco to you, buddy

My mom used to be a big watcher of General Hospital and I would catch parts of episodes here and there when he was on. His character was basically James Franco acting like a bad actor. It was pretty impressive to see his range in action.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:03 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:The Cabin In The Woods...on Netflix. Amazing "horror" movie, and absolutely hilarious. Any horror buff NEEDS to see it.

Is that the one with PANCAKES!!!?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Watched D3: The Mighty Ducks.

It really is as terrible as I remember it. Holy cow what a piece of *charcoal*
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:03 pm

You know...maybe if the penguins would've used the flying v vs the bruins....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Just saw Man of Steel. I'm a huge Superman fan and this movie is very good. The critics that are complaining about it being too "gritty" and "dark" just don't get it. Its definitely grittier than previous Superman movies but that is the direction comic books have been going for years now. Having said that, its not Dark Knight gritty. People need to understand that the Christopher Reeve Superman doesn't really exist anymore. In film or comics. A lot of critics don't seem to get that.

The action is first rate. It goes a little over the top sometimes but who cares, its better than getting almost no action like in Superman Returns. The flying battle with General Zod is freaking awesome (keep your eyes peeled when they are battling in space for an easter egg).

Henry Cavill does a good job. He certainly looks the part and mostly gets it right. General Zod is a very well written bad guy. You can understand his point of view, he's not just some crazy guy bent on killing people for no reason. Some of the side characters get pushed to the side a bit, but what do you expect? Its Superman's origin story.

It's not perfect. I had a couple issues with it but they weren't big problems. If you are a fan of the comics and understand who Superman really is, I think you'll like this a lot. I know I did.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Awesome! I am seeing it tomorrow at Lowes in the morning. Can't wait!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 am

I'm gonna try to talk the girlfriend into seeing that or Star Trek this weekend.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:17 am

CERV96 wrote:Awesome! I am seeing it tomorrow at Lowes in the morning. Can't wait!

In Lawn and Garden or Lighting Fixtures?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 am

I gotta hope its at lawn and garden.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:55 am

farnham16 wrote:Just saw Man of Steel. I'm a huge Superman fan and this movie is very good. The critics that are complaining about it being too "gritty" and "dark" just don't get it. Its definitely grittier than previous Superman movies but that is the direction comic books have been going for years now. Having said that, its not Dark Knight gritty. People need to understand that the Christopher Reeve Superman doesn't really exist anymore. In film or comics. A lot of critics don't seem to get that.

The action is first rate. It goes a little over the top sometimes but who cares, its better than getting almost no action like in Superman Returns. The flying battle with General Zod is freaking awesome (keep your eyes peeled when they are battling in space for an easter egg).

Henry Cavill does a good job. He certainly looks the part and mostly gets it right. General Zod is a very well written bad guy. You can understand his point of view, he's not just some crazy guy bent on killing people for no reason. Some of the side characters get pushed to the side a bit, but what do you expect? Its Superman's origin story.

It's not perfect. I had a couple issues with it but they weren't big problems. If you are a fan of the comics and understand who Superman really is, I think you'll like this a lot. I know I did.

I'm glad to read this. I've been very surprised by the reviews and critic reaction. The nerd culture and fans seem to love the movie, critics (the majority of which hate Zack Snyder) seem to really really dislike it. I've always had a desire to be a Superman fan, but have found the previous movies extremely boring and find the character largely uninteresting. Glad to see that a huge fan loves the movie and that it is fun and exciting.

Spoiler:
I'm guessing the easter egg in space is the Wayne Enterprises satellite?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Just saw Man of Steel. I'm a huge Superman fan and this movie is very good. The critics that are complaining about it being too "gritty" and "dark" just don't get it. Its definitely grittier than previous Superman movies but that is the direction comic books have been going for years now. Having said that, its not Dark Knight gritty. People need to understand that the Christopher Reeve Superman doesn't really exist anymore. In film or comics. A lot of critics don't seem to get that.

I'm glad to read this. I've been very surprised by the reviews and critic reaction. The nerd culture and fans seem to love the movie, critics (the majority of which hate Zack Snyder) seem to really really dislike it. I've always had a desire to be a Superman fan, but have found the previous movies extremely boring and find the character largely uninteresting. Glad to see that a huge fan loves the movie and that it is fun and exciting.

Spoiler:
I'm guessing the easter egg in space is the Wayne Enterprises satellite?

I have a feeling this movie will be critic proof.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 am

canaan wrote:watched Oz last night...really, really, really enjoyed it. the monkey friend buddy was hilarious.

watched this last night. I liked it, dragged a little, but it was pretty good. kids liked it. it was like a PG version of Army of Darkness.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 am

I get to read things like
Spoiler:
How awesome is it that Snyder found a way to get the Wayne logo in the movie! This is definitely the next step in setting up a Justice League movie.

now. Isn't that a bit of a leap?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Awesome! I am seeing it tomorrow at Lowes in the morning. Can't wait!

In Lawn and Garden or Lighting Fixtures?

I laffed.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:23 am

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:watched Oz last night...really, really, really enjoyed it. the monkey friend buddy was hilarious.

watched this last night. I liked it, dragged a little, but it was pretty good. kids liked it. it was like a PG version of Army of Darkness.

they could've re-worked a bunch of stuff. once they got to the munchkin land, it took a step back and stopped developing characters.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR