Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Pens15 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Netwolf, I don't disagree, but the kicker is that if Shero trades Letang it's because his hand was forced by Letang's salary demands.

It's going to be extremely difficult to swing a Letang trade that doesn't make the team worse in the short term. If you have to trade him then I think you need to just get the best package you can.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Shero left all options on the table regarding Letang.

“If we don’t have a deal by the draft, does that mean we’re trading him? I can’t speculate that. I don’t even know,” he said. “I don’t want to say a player can’t be traded or will never be traded. It’s hard to do that. We’re going to get to those discussion and see, make some decisions and maybe we get into July or August with Kris Letang on a one-year contract.

“He’s under contract for next year. He doesn’t have any clause in his contract for a no-move or block whatever we would try to do, or want to do. Having said that, I want to try and get to Kris and see exactly what they have in mind, and see whether or not that will work for us. Then we can make some decisions.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... b-penguins
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I don't think we trade him. We will try to extend and if that fails, try to sign as UFA. We are still all in for cup runs, we don't trade our #1 D.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:21 pm

topshelf66 wrote:I don't think we trade him. We will try to extend and if that fails, try to sign as UFA. We are still all in for cup runs, we don't trade our #1 D.

I think the Staal deal tells you what is up. If Letang says he wants to stay here, he's going to have to negotiate now. If he doesn't come with the love soon, he will be dealt I think for the right deal.

There are ZERO top end defensemen available in the FA market. Letang is a Norris nominee. I can't see the iron being hotter than right now. Waiting for the trading deadline is playing with fire. Keeping him for next year's Cup run would be even riskier, especially if Letang is already playing hard to get this summer.

Sign him now or at least have him tell us he wants to work it out, or trade him before camp even starts.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bigkam on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Shero basically saying that if Letang really wants 7-8 million per season, he will be gone. Think that just about sums up the situation.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 pm

The Snapshot wrote:There are ZERO top end defensemen available in the FA market. Letang is a Norris nominee. I can't see the iron being hotter than right now.

While I agree that now is the time to trade him if he cannot be signed under acceptable terms before the draft, the fact that there are zero FA top end defenseman is both a blessing and a curse as the Pens will surely be seeking a replacement of similar ability.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:51 pm

topshelf66 wrote:I don't think we trade him. We will try to extend and if that fails, try to sign as UFA. We are still all in for cup runs, we don't trade our #1 D.

Usually whn you go all in and lose you don't get to keep going all in with great results.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Desiato wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:There are ZERO top end defensemen available in the FA market. Letang is a Norris nominee. I can't see the iron being hotter than right now.

While I agree that now is the time to trade him if he cannot be signed under acceptable terms before the draft, the fact that there are zero FA top end defenseman is both a blessing and a curse as the Pens will surely be seeking a replacement of similar ability.

I know what you are saying, but I actually think that Paul Martin as he played this season is an acceptable #1 with the right defense around him, and I also believe Despres is way better than we saw under Bylsma last season. I get that Bylsma wanted to keep him guessing, but some of his scratches came after some of his best games. That is just playing with a young guy's head.

I don't inderstand how Letang can be both a head case and a defenseman we cannot do without. I'm not saying it's you saying either of these things, but Letang is far from a reliable playoff performer in my eyes, and I'm on record as saying he my favorite player to watch. His style is "all in" and I love that about him. This isn't coming from a Letang basher. I just believe that if he isn't here, we can get along without him.

That is even more of a belief if his trade yields us a solid, shut-down type d-man and a younger forward or two. What if we signed Scuderi as a UFA and traded Letang for a jackpot of a few top six potential forwards and a veteran D - thereby saving a few million in the meantime and allowing us to re-sign Dupuis or Cooke? It's all intertwined.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 pm

In addition to the post above, as I mentioned in one of the other threads, I think that there may not be another player on the team that dictates the pace of the game like Letang. That said, the pace of the game in the playoffs may call for more patience than Letang is capable of. It's just a thought, but even Geno cuts down on the lack of positional play come playoffs.

I think that one fact of the Penguins' makeup is that the three top skaters on the team are ALL prone to playing with too much emotion and show frustration at times. They are all young, so I accept anyone's position that they can mature beyond it, but we've clearly committed to Sid and Geno. Perhaps we need a more stable force back there ala a younger Gonchar.

If Gonchar can at times appear disinterested at his worst and unflappable at his best, perhaps that is the quality we need in the anchor of our defense.

I would describe both Scuderi and Gill from our only recent success as those kinds of players. I would not describe Letang that way and I'm not sure I can ever envision he being that way. Maybe that's the problem?

Maybe with the thoroughbreds upfront we need stability and structure at the rear.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:59 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Harrington, no way.

I don't think he will either, but it's worth mentioning that Harrington's coach Dale Hunter says he is willing to bet that Harrington is playing in the NHL next year.

I'm just trying to lower my expectations. If he really is that good, great.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:20 am

penny lane wrote:
Pens15 wrote:Letang to TOR for Jake Gardiner and JVR.

:idea:

JVR~ intriguing.

Definitely. While I have to think that proposals such as Eric Johnson & 1st overall or Victor Hedman & 3rd overall are total pipe dreams, the above seems maybe, just maybe realistic. It might not be too sexy but it's a deal that could actually work out nicely for the Pens in the long-term.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Letang to Montreal for Jarred Tinordi (2010 22nd overall pick, 6'6 205) next 2 season on a entry level contract. Just a starting point. I am not to familiar with MTL roster to pick other players.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:20 pm

no name wrote:Letang to Montreal for Jarred Tinordi (2010 22nd overall pick, 6'6 205) next 2 season on a entry level contract. Just a starting point. I am not to familiar with MTL roster to pick other players.

MAX **** PACCORETI!!!

icantspell
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:33 pm

I think I'm shifting into the "trade Letang" camp at this point. It's obviously not impossible, but I think it's reasonable to conclude at this point that Bylsma + this core group of players =/= Cup.

I was thinking it might be worth a shot to try to keep this same group together and bring in a new coach, who preached a more disciplined style. Obviously, that's not happening at this point. Malkin just got extended, so he's not going anywhere. Fleury got a vote of confidence from Bylsma, so, presumably, he's not going anywhere. That leaves Letang as the main piece that can be changed to give the team a different overall dynamic (I don't think, for example, trading Kunitz or Neal, or not re-signing Cooke, really changes that much). Couple that with the facts that Letang can reasonably ask for his salary to be doubled after this year and that his trade value will never be higher, and I think trading Letang makes sense.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:48 pm

no name wrote:Letang to Montreal for Jarred Tinordi (2010 22nd overall pick, 6'6 205) next 2 season on a entry level contract. Just a starting point. I am not to familiar with MTL roster to pick other players.

I don't know if I'd ask for a d-man prospect from Montreal. We have enough of those. As others have mentioned, if the Pens trade Letang, they need a solid top-4 guy coming back. I'd go for Emelin or Gorges, Pacioretty or Gallagher, plus a first for Letang. That kind of fits the Staal trade--solid positional replacement, good younger player, and a first. Of course, Pacioretty and Gallagher are both more established than Dumoulin, but Montreal doesn't have a top-10 pick and Letang is better than Staal.

That said, I'm not sure Montreal is a good trading partner. They covet French-Canadians, but having Subban and Letang seems redundant. It is fun to speculate about, though.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:11 pm

I don't think Montreal can afford to spend on both Subban and Letang.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:12 pm

topshelf66 wrote:I don't think Montreal can afford to spend on both Subban and Letang.

Therian would have a heart attack trying to teach both those guys defence. LOL. But my only reason for asking for a Tinordi is that he is NHL ready with a very friendly cap hit. When you start adding in other players who bring their salary with them you start to fill the cap space you where trying to open in the first place.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 am

no name wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:I don't think Montreal can afford to spend on both Subban and Letang.

Therian would have a heart attack trying to teach both those guys defence. LOL. But my only reason for asking for a Tinordi is that he is NHL ready with a very friendly cap hit. When you start adding in other players who bring their salary with them you start to fill the cap space you where trying to open in the first place.

Who would we want off of Montreal's roster anyhow? They aren't trading Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, or Georges for Letang.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 am

pens_CT wrote:
no name wrote:

Who would we want off of Montreal's roster anyhow? They aren't trading Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, or Georges for Letang.

I think a package with Andrei Markov + a few high end picks/prospects could work. Markov is 34 with one more year of a 5.75 cap hit. For this team, he might actually be an upgrade over Letang. He'd be a more steady presence and a superior PP QB than Letang. If he works out well you could consider resigning him for around the same price for a couple more years as a stop-gap until guys like Pouliot are ready.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:56 am

Obviously Shero will try to re-sign Letang, as he did with Staal. However the difference with Letang is Shero won't be hamstrung by only being able to deal him to 1 club.

The Pens could significantly add depth to the organization if Shero makes a strong hockey trade for Letang. Shero has historically made strong hockey trades. I trust his instincts on Letang.

Do not break the bank for him though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:The prospect of trading Letang is pretty appealing from the perspective of all that would come back. The prospect of not having Letang next year is not appealing to me.

This. Say what you want about Letang, but losing our #1 d man is a scary thought. Staal was our "3rd line center" and was replaced by a weaker Sutter. It is harder to replace a #1 d man with a weaker version. Martin is fine, but he is not a #1 and the prospects on the blue line aren't ready.

Curious to see how this plays out....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Pens15 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
no name wrote:

I think a package with Andrei Markov + a few high end picks/prospects could work. Markov is 34 with one more year of a 5.75 cap hit. For this team, he might actually be an upgrade over Letang. He'd be a more steady presence and a superior PP QB than Letang. If he works out well you could consider resigning him for around the same price for a couple more years as a stop-gap until guys like Pouliot are ready.

Markov ? He's making 2.25 million above Letang's cap hit for next season. We already have issues trying to re-sign UFA's to be like Dupuis etc. Adding salary for Letang's replacement is the wrong way to go. Throw in Markov's knee issues the last couple of years, and that would be a terrible acquisition IMO.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 pm

KG wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:The prospect of trading Letang is pretty appealing from the perspective of all that would come back. The prospect of not having Letang next year is not appealing to me.

This. Say what you want about Letang, but losing our #1 d man is a scary thought. Staal was our "3rd line center" and was replaced by a weaker Sutter. It is harder to replace a #1 d man with a weaker version. Martin is fine, but he is not a #1 and the prospects on the blue line aren't ready.

Curious to see how this plays out....

This brings up the question, will the Pens not pay Letang 8M because they don't think he specifically is worth it, or because they simply can't afford to give another player that kind of cap hit?

Because if it's the latter, they might need to work out a roster model that doesn't necessarily include a true #1 D-man. Because that's about what the going rate is probably going to be.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Trades centering around a certain player that I'd be ok with Shero putting something together around.

Hedman
Carlson/Alzner
McBain
Fowler
E. Johnson
Giradi/Del Zotto
Ehrhoff/Meyers
Wisniewski
Phaneuf
Yandle
Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk
Enstrom/Bogosian

That's the list. Obviously packages would have to come with most of these guys but the Pens have to get a top 4 back in the deal.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:00 pm

KG wrote: However the difference with Letang is Shero won't be hamstrung by only being able to deal him to 1 club.

The problem is there are only so many teams who have enough cap space going forward to sign him to a long term deal. Of those who do have the space, there only a few that have the assets to trade for him. So its not the Staal situation and one team Carolina, but its not like 29 other teams bidding for Letang. You are talking about a much smaller number of teams.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins