Stanley Cup winning style

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stanley Cup winning style

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
Rylan wrote:What lack of structure? Game 2 was the only game where there was a system-wide collapse

The entire style we played reeked of lack of structure. I just told you a big one... lack of player support. How our guys would constantly go 1 on 2, 2 on 4, and either lose battles/puck when outnumbered or randomly throw the puck at the net in desperation because there was no one to support that player. That's structure, or lack of it, and that's on Bylsma.

How do you know it's not just players trying to do it by themselves?

That would reflect on Bylsma as well. He's the coach. If he's afraid of his players or is unable to control them, then forget about it. May as well have Sid turn player/coach and say bye bye to Bylsma. As I said - and I think we all know it, just sometimes one person takes a stance then keeps at it - it was certainly a combination of a lot of things. I just don't see how Bylsma can get a clear pass on his performance. It wasn't good and guys on the Canadian broadcast pointed to him being possibly fired after the series.

I didn't hear it in person, but I have to trust the poster. Read post #594 from sexyllamma.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1443723&page=24
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm

... or it could just be the simple explanation that Crosby and Malkin and others were frustrated with not scoring, so they tried to take it into their own hands. No amount of adjustments/coaching could really fix that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 pm

topshelf wrote:
What could he have done to "put his players in the best possible position" to win? If you're saying he didn't, then you must know what he should have done.

No I don't know what would have worked. You don't either. None of us know to a specific what would have worked. However we can't rule a great deal out because there were not a lot of changes going on. The Pens needed more than a breakout tweak or scratching/dressing Tyler Kennedy and it was beyond glaring.

The Pens found themselves in a desperate situation but there seemed to be a lack of desperation on the bench and even more behind the bench.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:01 pm

topshelf wrote:
We out shot them in games 3 and 4, and game 1 was a one shot difference. We out hit them, too. We played well, but they proved to either be the better team, the hotter team, or a combination of both.

As has been echoed around here by many...just throw out the numbers for one sec...how were those shots and how high or low of a percentage were nearly all of them? The Pens shots were from 8 miles out with zero screening going on. That was 90 percent of the Pens shots in that series.

The bruins on the other had a massive amount of juicy shots right in the heart of the slot. Atleast half with traffic.

I'm sorry but this series was about the most lopsided series I've seen the Pens play in a long long time.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins