Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Rylan wrote:Calm yourself shyster. Lets get shad into orbit before we start planning his interplanetary travels.

:lol:

Thanks Shyster. Like I said, I am usually not drawn to games like this, but you have sold the game well. I'm assuming there will be future expansions/patches?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:39 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Thanks Shyster. Like I said, I am usually not drawn to games like this, but you have sold the game well. I'm assuming there will be future expansions/patches?

Certainly. The game is still heavily under development. Planned features include more parts, planets, and moons; better graphics and sound; clouds and possibly weather; an asteroid belt; better aerodynamics; and more realistic engine thrust and fuel usage. For example, right now the nuclear-powered engines in the game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_thermal_rocket) use conventional fuel and oxidizer; they’re just depicted as being really fuel efficient. Those will eventually be switched to using more accurate fuels. The designers have also said that one of the current planets (Eeloo) will eventually switch to being a moon in orbit of a gas-giant planet, and supposedly there will be at least three gas giants in total (only one—Jool—is in the game now).
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 pm

so a solar system more accurately based on ours?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Rylan wrote:so a solar system more accurately based on ours?

Yup. It’s pretty obvious that they are basing the Kerbol system on our own solar system, as every planet in the game right now has a real-life analogue. (Moho=Mars; Eve=Venus; Kerbin=Earth, Duna=Mars; Dres=Ceres; Jool=Jupiter; Eeloo=Enceladus). They are making the solar system much more compact than real life. Every planet in KSP would actually be inside Earth’s orbit if it were real. But the compaction is certainly understandable because larger distances between planets would just mean more sitting and waiting for players. As it is, even at the fastest time-acceleration factor it takes something like five minutes to travel out to the most distant planet.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Did anyone buy the "Season Pass" with The Last of Us? Wondering if its worth the $20
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Question. How are rental places like Gamefly or Redbox going to cope with XBox One's policy?

sony announced theyre letting developers do the same thing. i find it hard to imagine companies like ea not taking advantage of it by saying some nonsense like a consistent policy is simpler and in the best interest of gamers.

and i cant see how they will. the developers want them shut down for good.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Loaf31 wrote:Did anyone buy the "Season Pass" with The Last of Us? Wondering if its worth the $20

I didn't. I hate day 1 DLC, it just annoys me. It didn't seem like it was worth it anyways. I think two of the DLC is for multiplayer which I won't use. I mean I guess if you know you are gonna get all the DLC then its worth saving 10$.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 am

Okay, I can't find my last post on this subject, so I apologize for re-posting if anyone answered.

I currently have my PS3 connected to our living room TV. That severely limits my gameplay options, so I'd like to move it to the office.... which means connecting it to the same monitor as my PC. My PC monitor does not have an HDMI input, so that means I need a switch of some kind for the display, and I'd have to get audio through my PC.

So..... how exactly do I do that?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 am

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, I can't find my last post on this subject, so I apologize for re-posting if anyone answered.

I currently have my PS3 connected to our living room TV. That severely limits my gameplay options, so I'd like to move it to the office.... which means connecting it to the same monitor as my PC. My PC monitor does not have an HDMI input, so that means I need a switch of some kind for the display, and I'd have to get audio through my PC.

does the monitor have displayport or dvi?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 am

The Last of Us is addicting. Love the game so far.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:06 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Okay, I can't find my last post on this subject, so I apologize for re-posting if anyone answered.

does the monitor have displayport or dvi?

This is the monitor I have

Analog RGB, Digital, D-Sub, DVI. No HDMI, but I wouldn't want to use HDMI so it's no biggie.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:13 pm

DVI=HDMI without sound. a connector like this would solve your video problem immediately: Image

you can also buy full length cords that are dvi on one side and hdmi on the other. this wont fix give you audio.

i would definitely NOT want to send audio thru a pc unless you already have the input hardware. you will have to set the audio up on the pc every time you want to play. the easiest solution (if not elegant) is to buy a 2nd set of pc speakers or a headset. you could buy audio input hardware for the pc and enable it whenever you want to play a game.

you are going to send video thru hdmi and audio thru the av multiport. this is how older hdtvs with dvi and no hdmi use ps3.

im guess you wanted a solution using the component part of the av multiport. the problem with your monitor input types are that analog rgb and digital are just the types of signals it can accept. component video uses YPbPr and isnt compatible with rgb vga without a really expensive convertor.

how is your monitor connected now? i assume vga? does your pc have dvi or hdmi out?

if you asked me to do this here is the fantastical diagram i would draw. pfidc and admin will like it.

materials list
-one hdmi switch (must support hdcp)
-one hdmi to dvi (from switch to monitor)
-one dvi to hdmi (from pc dvi out to switch hdmi in. if your pc has hdmi out use that. or displayport to hdmi)
-one hdmi (from ps3 to switch)
-one av multiport (from ps3 to speakers)
-patience
-adult beverage

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I have the computer connected via DVI right now.

It looks like the tricksy bit is getting audio from both devices. I have a cheap set of Altech 2.1 speakers, but the desktop volume control hub thingy has an Aux In input. I wonder if I could just connect the PS3 audio through that every time I wanted to play? That's not really a hassle. Will the signal remain stereo if use a y connector to make use of that Aux input?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:15 pm

that should work. who knows, you might get pc and ps3 sound at once.

it should remain stereo, yes.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:34 pm

I haven't played a whole ton of Skyrim yet... just made it to the first town. My favorite part so far was the journey to the town... the world looked incredible.

I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake getting it for PC though... The controls are awkward as hell for me. Do not like using wasd to move. (Yeah, I don't play many PC games of this type).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:16 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:

Oh my god that was amazing. This makes me really reconsider getting rid of my ps3.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:32 pm

the wicked child wrote:I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake getting it for PC though... The controls are awkward as hell for me. Do not like using wasd to move. (Yeah, I don't play many PC games of this type).

I suggest you go to http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/, take a look at all of the hundreds of mods available for Skyrim that you can only use with the PC version (and maybe install the Nexus Mod Manager and try out a few of the best-rated ones), and then ask yourself that question again. :wink:

Personally, even if I were a console gamer, I would never dream of buying a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game on anything other than the PC, as the modding community for those games is absolutely massive. It really adds to the value of the game.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:06 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

Oh my god that was amazing. This makes me really reconsider getting rid of my ps3.

a few places said there will be a pc version. the hardware requirements have to be modest. plus you could buy one of those nes style usb gamepads.

ducktales was i think the only nes game i beat as a kid without a game genie. still no firm release date for this but ill be buying it for xbox on day one.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spangler on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 am

the wicked child wrote:I haven't played a whole ton of Skyrim yet... just made it to the first town. My favorite part so far was the journey to the town... the world looked incredible.

I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake getting it for PC though... The controls are awkward as hell for me. Do not like using wasd to move. (Yeah, I don't play many PC games of this type).

It's never a mistake getting a Bethesda game for PC, and this is someone who has only played them for the consoles.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 am

most pc games recognize and default to xbox 360 controls if you use a 360 controller. they have them preprogrammed.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 am

There are a lot of riddler trophies in arkham city. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 am

Idoit40fans wrote:There are a lot of riddle trophies in arkham city. :scared:

Haha, told you
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:12 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

So you would keep a PS3 for an old Duck game and not for some of the new games like Last Of Us. OK. I don't think I'll ever understand the nostalgia for old crap. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Check out Destiny coming to PS4 and Xbox One. Suck it, PC gamerz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR