Over a week later....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Over a week later....

Postby The Current One on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:06 pm

and I'm even more astounded that they were swept/eliminated/embarrassed/etc.! How does a team with that much talent fail so miserably???? Are the Pens really that much worse than the Bruins?

Moreover, how does Bylsma get an extension? What about his coaching would make Shero think that the Pens will be better next year and beyond? I'm so tired of the "we didn't get to our game" excuse, and the lack of defensive structure/accountability. With Bylsma at the helm, this team will continue to be regular season champs, and postseason chumps. Un-freaking-believable.....
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Alright, that's it.

the Pittsburgh Penguins have won more Stanley Cups (3) since you (presumably) were in short pants (1990) than any other team with the exception of the Detroit (4) and New Jersey (tied, 3). With the brief exception of a few years at the start of the 21st century, this organization has been competitive for almost 30 years. This is, according to any reasonable standard (which is to say, excluding the standard set by Penguins' fans) a rather exemplary run. In fact, over the course of your (again, presumably) lifetime, the story of the Pittsburgh Penguins franchise has actually been turned from one of an utter laughing stock in terms of professional sports into one of the great models of the market.

Honestly sometimes this place... some of you people need a healthy dose of perspective.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Guinness wrote:Alright, that's it.

the Pittsburgh Penguins have won more Stanley Cups (3) since you (presumably) were in short pants (1990) than any other team with the exception of the Detroit (4) and New Jersey (tied, 3). With the brief exception of a few years at the start of the 21st century, this organization has been competitive for almost 30 years. This is, according to any reasonable standard (which is to say, excluding the standard set by Penguins' fans) a rather exemplary run. In fact, over the course of your (again, presumably) lifetime, the story of the Pittsburgh Penguins franchise has actually been turned from one of an utter laughing stock in terms of professional sports into one of the great models of the market.

Honestly sometimes this place... some of you people need a healthy dose of perspective.

Does that make it okay to bomb with the best roster in quite some time? The last couple decades have been very fun and successful but they have nothing to do with the 2013 playoffs.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 pm

It still sucks booty, but it happens. If every team that was supposed to win the cup did, they might as well just give the cup to the presidents trophy winner.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:It still sucks booty, but it happens. If every team that was supposed to win the cup did, they might as well just give the cup to the presidents trophy winner.

That's exactly it. Yes, it sucks. Yes, they probably should have won. But it actually is okay to not win the Cup. Am I actually writing that? It actually needs to be said?

The model franchise, Detroit, did not win a Cup with Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg as the premier players and with Babcock behind the bench until '08, and they only won one together in that role.

I'd like to see my Penguins win another Cup as much as the next fan here, but for the love of gawd get over yourselves. It has been over a week... get over it.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm coming around to the fact that it's all Toronto's fault. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Guinness wrote:Alright, that's it.

Honestly, I think 'some people' need to exit the thread before they tell other posters they are wrong to be pissed that we go bounced pretty easily two years in a row.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby rgj on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:27 pm

I've just come to the acceptance that the Penguins are NOT the great team that we all want to believe they are. Good, sure. In the NHL upper quarter? Probably.

For all their "offensive power," they can be shut down.....completely. Are they on the level of Chicago and Boston? No.

Great teams will always rise to the occasion. Chicago did. Boston certainly did.

It will be interesting to see what team 2013NHLGMOFTHEYEAR Shero and 2011-12NHLCOACHOFTHEYEAR Bylsma is able to put on the ice in October. Wanna take odds the Pens will be favored again during the season?
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:44 pm

rgj wrote:I've just come to the acceptance that the Penguins are NOT the great team that we all want to believe they are. Good, sure. In the NHL upper quarter? Probably.

For all their "offensive power," they can be shut down.....completely. Are they on the level of Chicago and Boston? No.

Great teams will always rise to the occasion. Chicago did. Boston certainly did.

It will be interesting to see what team 2013NHLGMOFTHEYEAR Shero and 2011-12NHLCOACHOFTHEYEAR Bylsma is able to put on the ice in October. Wanna take odds the Pens will be favored again during the season?

Agreed. Pens are always the favorite despite their playoff failures the past 4 years.

Going into this year I did not think the Pens were a legit cup contender, with the loss of Staal and not being able to sign Suter/Parise. I changed my mind after the trade deadline. This was the deepest and most talented team (on paper) in quite some time.

They ran into the old adage, that a good defense beats a good offense. The Pens will never change their approach as an offensive team first. You can tell that my the comments Shero made at his conference that we are a team the fans enjoy watching. However, come playoff time they definitely need to fine tune their system. Not sure that will happen with the current staff in place...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Is a team with both Engelland and Niskanen on the ice actually deep?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby topshelf on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Man, I was just thinking that we needed a few more threads to discuss the series loss. This came at a perfect time!
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:00 pm

My goal is for this team to someday be as good as the 'Hawks and/or 'Bruins... you know, winning / or competeing for two cups in three-four years. :pop:

Wait, no...

columbia wrote:Is a team with both Engelland and Niskanen on the ice actually deep?

As long as it's not at the same time... yes :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Godric on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:10 pm

The penguins have played more playoff series since 2008 than any other franchise... I'd call that competing and I'm way bitter about being swept.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:44 pm

The Current One wrote:and I'm even more astounded that they were swept/eliminated/embarrassed/etc.! How does a team with that much talent fail so miserably???? Are the Pens really that much worse than the Bruins?

Moreover, how does Bylsma get an extension? What about his coaching would make Shero think that the Pens will be better next year and beyond? I'm so tired of the "we didn't get to our game" excuse, and the lack of defensive structure/accountability. With Bylsma at the helm, this team will continue to be regular season champs, and postseason chumps. Un-freaking-believable.....

Aparently we didnt watch the same series. In the series i watched the Pens were embarrassed in game 2 but played well enough to win 1,3, & 4.

Couldnt get pucks through the black & yellow brick wall and when they did Rask was there with a huge save or it tinked off the post.

Other than game 2 i have no problem with how they played overall.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Godric wrote:The penguins have played more playoff series since 2008 than any other franchise... I'd call that competing and I'm way bitter about being swept.

Agreed. I feel completely let down by the Pens performance this year. They didn't meet my unrealistsic expectations - my bad.

Hey, it is what it is. There I said it. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Dude...why bring up the past? Time to move on...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:34 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Dude...why bring up the past? Time to move on...

Great advice for not only hockey fans, but for life in general...:)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Man its been a week? I really have not been bothered at all by them losing. Good luck in your endeavor getting over the series.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:50 pm

PR has become an endless, depressing facebook timeline.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Still feels awful and I will be extremely angry the whole summer. Nothing has gone right in sports this year. Nothing. A choke job in the last month of the season allowing the stupid Tigers to win the division. Rahim Moore giving Baltimore our Super Bowl title. Golden has to deal with the stupid NCAA BS when the entire SEC gets away with murder, Rose being out the whole year and now the Pens with the cherry on the cake....not only no Cup but no awards for Sid.

This year was straight from Hell.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Look on the bright side: Jagr can still lose. That's always something to cheer for.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Rylan wrote:Man its been a week? I really have not been bothered at all by them losing. Good luck in your endeavor getting over the series.

Yep
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:38 pm

I am mostly over the disappointment. Have to be the best at the right time. Can't have a bad week in ECF. Get em next year Pens.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm actually totally excited right now. I love when a team has the possibility of a large roster turnover.

Silver lining i suppose but new blood in this franchise in the forms of Bennett, Despres and others has me really excited for fall!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins