Jerome Iginla

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jerome Iginla: Thoughts

1.Try to sign him
44%
2.Let him walk
56%

Total votes : 126

Re: Jerome Iginla

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
saints11 wrote:I like Iggy and still feel he could be very productive on the right side and PP. However, I think that ship has sailed and they will part company. Dupuis fits this team better. That said, I think Dupuis would be best served playing with Sutter. Sid gets Bennett.

This sentiment baffles me. What more does Dupuis have to do to justify his spot as a quality winger for Crosby? He's been nothing short of excellent there, and dropping him to the third line would be a swift slap to the face of one of the hardest-working, most-improved, and most-respected players on the roster. If he re-signs, he stays with Crosby. Period. End of story.

Can you honestly sign a 34 year old Dupuis for 4 more years, expecting him to contribute like he is now? I just don't see the value.

What would be the problem of playing Bennett on Malkin's line and Dupuis on Crosby's?

Everyone's happy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:27 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
saints11 wrote:I like Iggy and still feel he could be very productive on the right side and PP. However, I think that ship has sailed and they will part company. Dupuis fits this team better. That said, I think Dupuis would be best served playing with Sutter. Sid gets Bennett.

This sentiment baffles me. What more does Dupuis have to do to justify his spot as a quality winger for Crosby? He's been nothing short of excellent there, and dropping him to the third line would be a swift slap to the face of one of the hardest-working, most-improved, and most-respected players on the roster. If he re-signs, he stays with Crosby. Period. End of story.

Can you honestly sign a 34 year old Dupuis for 4 more years, expecting him to contribute like he is now? I just don't see the value.

What would be the problem of playing Bennett on Malkin's line and Dupuis on Crosby's?

Everyone's happy.

Where he fits on the line is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is say he's a 1st line talent for the next 2 seasons, but we sign him to a 4 year contract. Those last 2 years are a joke of a deal.

I'd rather pay Iginla for 2 years to play top-line and then cut our losses than sign Dupuis and have him taking up top line money playing on the 3rd line the last 2 years of his contract.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:30 am

Bill Guerin looked absolutely pathetic, literally, PATHETIC during stretches of the cup run during 5v5 play...

Keep Iggy. ? He's worth it... that shot on the PP..
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:40 am

Crankshaft wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:What would be the problem of playing Bennett on Malkin's line and Dupuis on Crosby's?

Everyone's happy.

Where he fits on the line is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is say he's a 1st line talent for the next 2 seasons, but we sign him to a 4 year contract. Those last 2 years are a joke of a deal.

I'd rather pay Iginla for 2 years to play top-line and then cut our losses than sign Dupuis and have him taking up top line money playing on the 3rd line the last 2 years of his contract.

What makes you so sure that Dupuis won't still be able to contribute beyond the next 2 years?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:41 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:What would be the problem of playing Bennett on Malkin's line and Dupuis on Crosby's?

Everyone's happy.

What makes you so sure that Dupuis won't still be able to contribute beyond the next 2 years?

It's a gamble, both ways you look at it. Personally, I wouldn't want to take that gamble.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

here is my question for people.... lets assume Dupuis is gone and gets like a 4 year/$18 million deal from another team and now the Pens need to find another top 2 line winger

would you rather have the Pens resign Iginia to say a 2 year/$6 to 7 million deal, or would you rather see Shero go the cheap route and try to find a 1 year/$2 million Steve Sullivan type guy to fill the gap on the top 2 lines until maybe the deadline where they get someone who can better fill that role?

I know I this can be hard to answer without knowing what will happen with Letang and what our cap situation looks like.... if he stays can they afford Iginla? If they trade him do they get a top 2 line forward in return? Stuff like that...... but lets hypothetically say Letang doenst sign a new deal and isnt traded..... he's just finishing out his contract and they'll worry about what happens to him next offseason
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am

GenoMachino71 wrote:here is my question for people.... lets assume Dupuis is gone and gets like a 4 year/$18 million deal from another team and now the Pens need to find another top 2 line winger

would you rather have the Pens resign Iginia to say a 2 year/$6 to 7 million deal, or would you rather see Shero go the cheap route and try to find a 1 year/$2 million Steve Sullivan type guy to fill the gap on the top 2 lines until maybe the deadline where they get someone who can better fill that role?

I know I this can be hard to answer without knowing what will happen with Letang and what our cap situation looks like.... if he stays can they afford Iginla? If they trade him do they get a top 2 line forward in return? Stuff like that...... but lets hypothetically say Letang doenst sign a new deal and isnt traded..... he's just finishing out his contract and they'll worry about what happens to him next offseason

With Kennedy off the books, they can probably spend around $3 million on a winger. I'm not opposed to paying Dupuis that much, it's the length of the deal that scares me off. I'd rather pay Iginla $3-3.5 million for 2 years instead of paying that same price tag to Dupuis for 4 years.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am

Crankshaft wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Everyone's happy.

It's a gamble, both ways you look at it. Personally, I wouldn't want to take that gamble.

I love Dupuis, but I would not give him 4 years and I would not give him more than $4 million a season

The highest I'm offering is 3 years/$11 million

I think hes a good role player who fills a leadership role in the locker room, but you can replace his on ice production without having to give him $4+ million over a 4 year deal
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kaizer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm

JA
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:18 pm

I just don't see Jarome taking less than $4M/year based on his high regard around the league. He is only 35, not 38 or 39 just hanging on at the end. And I don't see how the Pens squeeze another $4M salary under the tight cap next season without sacraficing in other important areas of the roster. So even tho I'm a huge Iginla fan and its been a dream come true seeing him play for the Pens, I had to vote "let him walk."
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:I just don't see Jarome taking less than $4M/year based on his high regard around the league. He is only 35, not 38 or 39 just hanging on at the end. And I don't see how the Pens squeeze another $4M salary under the tight cap next season without sacraficing in other important areas of the roster. So even tho I'm a huge Iginla fan and its been a dream come true seeing him play for the Pens, I had to vote "let him walk."

It's not directly about his age, it's about production. He's not a 35 year old playing like he's 30. But he's worth more than his production alone justifies due to his fame. Signing him would generate buzz and interest in a lot of markets; but not Pittsburgh because it's already saturated with big names.

I figure he'll have to sacrifice 2-3 years and up to $10M total to sign with the Pens.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 am

My main issue his he doesn't kill penalties and on this team he doesn't play top PP. essentially the same role as Kennedy but much older, slower and more expensive. If Cooke and/or Dupuis walk we need to get guys who kill penalties signed to replace them.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 am

MRandall25 wrote:What makes you so sure that Dupuis won't still be able to contribute beyond the next 2 years?

Quiet!

Let them talk. Its that kind of karma that seems to make Duper better every year.

Not to mention right now, today, Duper is a better hockey player than Iginla. Give me realtime production over hype and a name any day.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:52 am

I'd prefer to see some other young talent move up for development and take JI's spot, but I also know that the team has not been/is not/will not be in development-mode.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ivand87 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Who is Jerome?

:thumb:

Quite honestly I really doubt the OP has ever watched a Calgary Flames game in his life. All these yinzers that post here so often and don't really watch any other hockey aside from Pens games should just refrain from posting... Either that or go back to grade school and pick up a copy of Hooked on Phonics while you're at it. It's embarrassing...
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:14 am

As much as I love Iginla and loved seeing him here, I think Dupuis has gotta be the priority. But I will be really upset if we don't retain at least ONE of them. Considering Dupuis has improved over the last few years, contributes on the PK and in basically any role, and already has tremendous chemistry with Sid, he's gotta be the priority if he can be kept for the right price, but if he goes elsewhere I'd hope we push hard to keep Iggy and actually try him on Crosby's RW where he belongs.

I would like to be able to where my Iggy Pens shirt again because as it stands right now I'm too embarrassed about how everything ended and how he was made a fool for his decision.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 am

GenoMachino71 wrote:would you rather have the Pens resign Iginia to say a 2 year/$6 to 7 million deal, or would you rather see Shero go the cheap route and try to find a 1 year/$2 million Steve Sullivan type guy to fill the gap on the top 2 lines until maybe the deadline where they get someone who can better fill that role

Rumor is Philly will buy out Danny Briere. For the right price I think he'd be an interesting look for Crosby's line. He'd bring softer hands, vision (playmaking) and creativity, which are things they could have used more of against Boston that neither Dupuis or Iginla brought.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:06 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:As much as I love Iginla and loved seeing him here, I think Dupuis has gotta be the priority. But I will be really upset if we don't retain at least ONE of them. Considering Dupuis has improved over the last few years, contributes on the PK and in basically any role, and already has tremendous chemistry with Sid, he's gotta be the priority if he can be kept for the right price, but if he goes elsewhere I'd hope we push hard to keep Iggy and actually try him on Crosby's RW where he belongs.

I would like to be able to where my Iggy Pens shirt again because as it stands right now I'm too embarrassed about how everything ended and how he was made a fool for his decision.

How'd that "chemistry" for "the best line in hockey" work out against Boston?

Chemistry = overrated
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:50 am

I would like to see Iginla come back on a 2 year cap friendly deal. He did accept a trade here to try to win the cup. He came close this year. I don't know if he wants to now go from team to team trying to win his elusive cup. Depending on the cap hit I would like to see:

Crosby, Dupuis, Iginla
Malkin, Neal, Kunitz
Sutter, Morror/Cooke, Bennett

Team will look different. Have to figure out what to do with Cooke, Kennedy, Jussi, obviously Letang and MAF...

I would like to re-sign Iginla and give him a full camp and get himself acclimated to the team if it makes cap sense....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 am

KG wrote:I would like to see Iginla come back on a 2 year cap friendly deal. He did accept a trade here to try to win the cup. He came close this year. I don't know if he wants to now go from team to team trying to win his elusive cup. Depending on the cap hit I would like to see:

Crosby, Dupuis, Iginla
Malkin, Neal, Kunitz

Team will look different. Have to figure out what to do with Cooke, Kennedy, Jussi, obviously Letang and MAF...

I would like to re-sign Iginla and give him a full camp and get himself acclimated to the team if it makes cap sense....

Bylsma's our coach, Iggy would never be allowed to play with Sid.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:10 pm

pens2005 wrote:
KG wrote:I would like to see Iginla come back on a 2 year cap friendly deal. He did accept a trade here to try to win the cup. He came close this year. I don't know if he wants to now go from team to team trying to win his elusive cup. Depending on the cap hit I would like to see:

Crosby, Dupuis, Iginla
Malkin, Neal, Kunitz

A shot from the point by one Brooks Orpik never gave us a chance to find out.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Beveridge wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

Crosby, Dupuis, Iginla
Malkin, Neal, Kunitz

What does that have to do with anything?
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Daniel87 wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

Crosby, Dupuis, Iginla
Malkin, Neal, Kunitz

What does that have to do with anything?

Crosby being out for the remainder of the season didn't allow a Dupuis-Sid-Iginla line time to mesh.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:12 pm

ivand87 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Who is Jerome?

:thumb:

Quite honestly I really doubt the OP has ever watched a Calgary Flames game in his life. All these yinzers that post here so often and don't really watch any other hockey aside from Pens games should just refrain from posting... Either that or go back to grade school and pick up a copy of Hooked on Phonics while you're at it. It's embarrassing...

....and so are you for being that annoyed by it. Get a damn grip or seek help.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Crosby, Dupuis, Iginla
Malkin, Neal, Kunitz

Would love to see those lines...
Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Bennett
Jeffrey Vitale Adams
Would probably have to trade Glass and Jokinen to fit Cooke, Dupuis and Iginla under the cap.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins