Over a week later....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Over a week later....

Postby BigMcK on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:35 pm

And I still am having problems getting the ice cream stain out of the carpet.

End of world for this shag.

oh well, life goes on.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,796
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Catching waterfalls in my piggybank

Re: Over a week later....

Postby meow on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm not getting over this loss, ever. Even if there's a fire!
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,007
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Its been one week since the sweep
Cocked my head and said I was angry
Its been 5 days since the blasphemies
Good bye Dan you hit your ceiling
Three days since something else
I'll blame Rossi, trying to deceive me
Yesterday, awards came
And it'll still be too long before I am happy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Over a week later....

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Worst haiku ever.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,742
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 pm

:cry:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Over a week later....

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:03 pm

I got the reference
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,661
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Doesn't matter...my feelings are already hurt
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Over a week later....

Postby MarioLives on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 pm

I fear one day we will wake up, realize how big of losers we were to let a game impact our real world so much. I have a feeling it may happen..... One day.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,317
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Over a week later....

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 pm

MarioLives wrote:I fear one day we will wake up, realize how big of losers we were to let a game impact our real world so much. I have a feeling it may happen..... One day.


I suspect you guys don't let it affect you anywhere near as much as I do.

Have you ever stopped eating spaghetti on Sundays cause you had it when Jacksonville upset Denver in 1996?

Will you refuse to buy any product that indicates it was made in Ohio or has any connection to Ohio because of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl?

Did you actually just start crying in your office when it became clear Sid would not be back in time to win the Art Ross this year and had to tell a coworker you were crying for a family member cause you didn't want her to think you were a complete nutjob?

Do up you routinely throw pens and stuff at the wall during a game when things are going badly?

Would you let losing a game routinely affect an entire weeks worth of work, life and human interaction (that doesn't happen anymore but at one time it did...I had to stop that in law school or else my goose would be cooked)?

I can't get out of it either. Sports is a big **** deal.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:39 am
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Over a week later....

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:41 pm

This is almost as depressing as the Hulk Hogan nWo heel turn. At both times, I simply didn't have anything to believe in anymore.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,158
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Rylan wrote:Its been one week since the sweep
Cocked my head and said I was angry
Its been 5 days since the blasphemies
Good bye Dan you hit your ceiling
Three days since something else
I'll blame Rossi, trying to deceive me
Yesterday, awards came
And it'll still be too long before I am happy.


And they're Canadian, too. Good job. :D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,358
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:
MarioLives wrote:I fear one day we will wake up, realize how big of losers we were to let a game impact our real world so much. I have a feeling it may happen..... One day.


I suspect you guys don't let it affect you anywhere near as much as I do.

Have you ever stopped eating spaghetti on Sundays cause you had it when Jacksonville upset Denver in 1996?

Will you refuse to buy any product that indicates it was made in Ohio or has any connection to Ohio because of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl?

Did you actually just start crying in your office when it became clear Sid would not be back in time to win the Art Ross this year and had to tell a coworker you were crying for a family member cause you didn't want her to think you were a complete nutjob?

Do up you routinely throw pens and stuff at the wall during a game when things are going badly?

Would you let losing a game routinely affect an entire weeks worth of work, life and human interaction (that doesn't happen anymore but at one time it did...I had to stop that in law school or else my goose would be cooked)?

I can't get out of it either. Sports is a big **** deal.


Aw, SoCal, please don't sell yourself short. Of course you can get out of it or maybe reorient it.

Maybe you can rechannel your fervor into something more positive. Teach a fellow Southern Californian who never got into the Kings or Ducks about the Pens and try to get them into hockey. Focus on saving your money to get Center Ice or to go to more games. Root for Flower to get his head right (the mental can be fixable). Build your dream sports man cave with a kick-ass memorabilia collection--something tangible to show for your obvious labors of love. Remind yourself that you've been a fan for a looong time, and you intend to be a fan for a looong time more, so, unless you root for anything Buffalo, then everything shakes out in the end. Remind yourself about the millions of people in the world who would love the luxury of having stuff like this affect them. When something sports-related pisses you off, say the Serenity Prayer.

You have passion but it arguably needs a good purpose. Maybe you can make it as much about the journey as the destination, as they say.

I'm not chastising or chiding you, and I hope I'm not embarrassing you (clearly, I worry little about embarrassing myself--LOL!). I just don't like to see a fellow Pens fan feeling awful when you don't have to. Positive perspective will save your bacon, while anger and negativity will fry it. You can tell me to butt out, and I won't be offended. I know I'm probably imposing--but the intent is good. I'm just hoping you feel better. Good luck! :fist:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,358
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Over a week later....

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:39 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
SoCalPenguin wrote:
MarioLives wrote:I fear one day we will wake up, realize how big of losers we were to let a game impact our real world so much. I have a feeling it may happen..... One day.


I suspect you guys don't let it affect you anywhere near as much as I do.

Have you ever stopped eating spaghetti on Sundays cause you had it when Jacksonville upset Denver in 1996?

Will you refuse to buy any product that indicates it was made in Ohio or has any connection to Ohio because of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl?

Did you actually just start crying in your office when it became clear Sid would not be back in time to win the Art Ross this year and had to tell a coworker you were crying for a family member cause you didn't want her to think you were a complete nutjob?

Do up you routinely throw pens and stuff at the wall during a game when things are going badly?

Would you let losing a game routinely affect an entire weeks worth of work, life and human interaction (that doesn't happen anymore but at one time it did...I had to stop that in law school or else my goose would be cooked)?

I can't get out of it either. Sports is a big **** deal.


Aw, SoCal, please don't sell yourself short. Of course you can get out of it or maybe reorient it.

Maybe you can rechannel your fervor into something more positive. Teach a fellow Southern Californian who never got into the Kings or Ducks about the Pens and try to get them into hockey. Focus on saving your money to get Center Ice or to go to more games. Root for Flower to get his head right (the mental can be fixable). Build your dream sports man cave with a kick-ass memorabilia collection--something tangible to show for your obvious labors of love. Remind yourself that you've been a fan for a looong time, and you intend to be a fan for a looong time more, so, unless you root for anything Buffalo, then everything shakes out in the end. Remind yourself about the millions of people in the world who would love the luxury of having stuff like this affect them. When something sports-related pisses you off, say the Serenity Prayer.

You have passion but it arguably needs a good purpose. Maybe you can make it as much about the journey as the destination, as they say.

I'm not chastising or chiding you, and I hope I'm not embarrassing you (clearly, I worry little about embarrassing myself--LOL!). I just don't like to see a fellow Pens fan feeling awful when you don't have to. Positive perspective will save your bacon, while anger and negativity will fry it. You can tell me to butt out, and I won't be offended. I know I'm probably imposing--but the intent is good. I'm just hoping you feel better. Good luck! :fist:


Thanks for the post and I appreciate your concern. I already have Center Ice BTW and Sunday Ticket so I get to see all the Pens and Broncos games. I think there will be an ACC Network soon so I won't miss a Canes game. I pretty much hate all LA area fans so i wouldnt interact with them since they are all flag on car bandwagoners. ive lived here my whole life and have never rooted for a single LA team because i hate the fans and also because doing so would turn sports into a chore. Although I think watching too much sports in general just sucks me into the hole deeper and deeper lol. I honestly appreciate your concern, this isn't the first time you have posted something like this to me....much appreciation.

Honestly though.....I can't get out. I am addicted to my sports teams. It's fun tho....I'm just not a positive person tho.....I'm massively paranoid and worry about everything. I think that helps me alot at work. Never miss a deadline and always over prepare cause I'm worried that things will go bad and ill get blamed or my name will be on a bad result, so ill go overboard out of fear. Fear is an excellent motivator....it's not healthy but it does work. Anyway it will take a long time to get over losing the Cup and all the awards in one fell swoop. This had the makings of truly a dream season and I don't forget things. I'm still extremely bitter about Shanahan being fired and Cutler being traded and that was 4.5 years ago....so I'm incapable of just letting things go. Your concern is duly noted however kind sir.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:39 am
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Scott on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:14 am

Guinness wrote:
The model franchise, Detroit, did not win a Cup with Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg as the premier players and with Babcock behind the bench until '08


Why are they the model franchise? Moreover you jumping all over the OP for questioning what everyone else is/was questioning. To lay an egg in the EC finals...then turn right around and give coaches extensions.

The questions are warranted. I am not alone in questioning Bylsma and his lack of leadership on the bench. It is equally as bad with how the Bruins series went, his handling of the playoffs since the 09 cup...his handling of the young players (despres, bortuzzo, bennett).......

yes defeats happen. Yes things happen sometimes in sports that one just can't explain. But this was not a one game series and I'm sorry but the Pens went from looking like the team to beat in all the NHL after the second round to the Rico Fata led Pens that no matter how hard they tried it just wasn't enough.

So as much as you are annoyed I'm getting equally annoyed with people not questioning what everyone should be questioning. The coach...the manager...the person who is responsible for the product on the ice...Dan Bylsma....the same guy who needs to put his 18 skaters in the best possible situation to succeed in each and every scenario.

Can you honestly say Bylsma did a good job of getting his Penguins in the proper scenarios in those four games against the Bruins..two of them were at home.

I will say it again since there seems to be some new Bylsma apologists around...and that is sad...
there are a ton of coaches abroad that could not only get this team in the playoffs but win a round or two. The Pens talent level really is that astounding.

One last note...

I do believe that some of the reason Bylsma was extended was to get some of these players (geno) new contracts because the locker room does seem to like the guy. It is easier to sell what you have if geno loves the coach than have that situation unsettled heading into negotiations with the worlds second best player.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,899
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Guinness on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:53 am

I said that Detroit is the model franchise because that's generally considered the case around here. And it's generally true, too.

There's nothing anyone here can do about Bylsma getting extended. No one's opinion is going to change it. Discussing it is fun, sure; but... people would be well served to keep things in perspective is all.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,318
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Scott on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:Aparently we didnt watch the same series. In the series i watched the Pens were embarrassed in game 2 but played well enough to win 1,3, & 4.

Couldnt get pucks through the black & yellow brick wall and when they did Rask was there with a huge save or it tinked off the post.

Other than game 2 i have no problem with how they played overall.


The above statements were made in an attempt to feel better and justify the contract extension. For the millionth time....the first 30 mins of game 1 was the only time the Pens outplayed the Bruins. It was the only time the Pens for more than one single shift dictated the play, the flow, and just imposedd the will of what they wanted to do in the series.

If you have not watched them but one time, do it again so you can get back to reality and see just how poor the Penguins were led.

Dan Bylsma brings checkers to a chess match. If you don't think that statement alone holds concrete then you really haven't watched the same games over the last few years.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,899
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Over a week later....

Postby shootinthepuck on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm still very bothered by it all. I don't think the Penguins are a bad organization, far from it. But when you promote your team heading to its new arena as "Destiny Has a New Home" that brings a more lofty expectation. Destiny to win Cups I assumed. Not to make playoff appearances. Sure, it is lofty, maybe even unrealistic, but it started at the top with their own campaign. If I'm supposed to be happy with San Jose type "glad to be there every year" stuff, I'm not. Everyone always used to say the Lemieux era was the "Country Club" atmosphere, well this is becoming the "Yacht Club" era...don't rock the boat, sell tons of tickets, ads, and jerseys and hopefully win one here and there without accountability to the coaches or stars when they come up short. The thing that bothers me the most is that having said all that, I won't watch any less, buy any less, or attend any less...so the joke is on me for being upset.
shootinthepuck
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Over a week later....

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Considering its the cup finals, I don't blame anyone for still being mad. I still feel fairly embarrassed and disgusted by the whole thing.

And it's not like everyone that feels ticked off about it lacks perspective of the last couple of decades or so. It's just that its frustrating to be blessed with such great talent and this window of opportunity at hand--yet see the talent getting mismanaged. The recent Pens losses weren't just tough losses in battles hard fought. They were embarrassments.

But whatever here's to more hangman and mustache boy.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Over a week later....

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I haven't heard "Radioactive" or Fall Out Boy in over a week. So that's a positive.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:49 pm

I got all my anger, sadness, frustration, etc. out after the OT loss in Game 3. Game 4 was nothing more than a formality and I've gotten on with my life, just fine. If you let a sporting event get in the way of you enjoying your life, you have major problems.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Over a week later....

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I haven't heard "Radioactive" or Fall Out Boy in over a week. So that's a positive.

Ask and you shall receive....

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,234
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Whistling Past The Graveyard

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Rocco on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 am

penny lane wrote:I'm coming around to the fact that it's all Toronto's fault. 8-)


One job, Maple Leafs. One job.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,103
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Over a week later....

Postby Rocco on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 am

SoCalPenguin wrote:
MarioLives wrote:I fear one day we will wake up, realize how big of losers we were to let a game impact our real world so much. I have a feeling it may happen..... One day.


I suspect you guys don't let it affect you anywhere near as much as I do.

Have you ever stopped eating spaghetti on Sundays cause you had it when Jacksonville upset Denver in 1996?

Will you refuse to buy any product that indicates it was made in Ohio or has any connection to Ohio because of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl?

Did you actually just start crying in your office when it became clear Sid would not be back in time to win the Art Ross this year and had to tell a coworker you were crying for a family member cause you didn't want her to think you were a complete nutjob?

Do up you routinely throw pens and stuff at the wall during a game when things are going badly?

Would you let losing a game routinely affect an entire weeks worth of work, life and human interaction (that doesn't happen anymore but at one time it did...I had to stop that in law school or else my goose would be cooked)?

I can't get out of it either. Sports is a big **** deal.


I used to feel that way. Then my dad mentioned I was getting worked up about people who wouldn't pee on me if I were on fire. Look, it's sports. Unless you have family or money involved, you can't get so wrapped up that it controls you.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,103
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Over a week later....

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:05 am

BigMcK wrote:And I still am having problems getting the ice cream stain out of the carpet.

End of world for this shag.

oh well, life goes on.


Ahhhh, nothin gets chocolate out!
Image
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,696
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: ....WE'RE IN THE SUPERDOME BRUTHERS!

Re: Over a week later....

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 am

There's differing levels of anger or emotion about it. Being out and out depressed about it is one thing -- still feeling peeved if someone happens to bring it up or seeing the freaking Bruins in the cup final but going about your day otherwise is quite another. Obviously there's a reasonable line to draw and you can't let it affect your life.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Paul Baxter and 8 guests

e-mail