Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah, that's not good at all. Quincey had a very poor season.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Montreal has some decent pieces. Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty (I probably butchered each of those). Anaheim is another team I would consider, if they would go for it...probably wouldn't involve Fowler though.

Tampa is the other one I think would be active on a guy like Letang. Problem is they don't have much to send back in return...

Stamkos for Letang :pop: :slug:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm

ILikeTurtles wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Letang for Quincey and Abdelkader. Yeah. Eh I hate throwing stuff around when I'm on mobile.

That is pretty bad. Letang could net a way bigger return even if it is at the 2014 draft.

I don't think I would willingly send talent to Detriot, especially now that they are essentially in the East.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Montreal has some decent pieces. Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty (I probably butchered each of those). Anaheim is another team I would consider, if they would go for it...probably wouldn't involve Fowler though.

Tampa is the other one I think would be active on a guy like Letang. Problem is they don't have much to send back in return...

Question on buyouts... if we traded Letang for, say, Lecavalier's terrible deal and a guy like Eric Brewer, could we use a compliance buyout on Vinny?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Question on buyouts... if we traded Letang for, say, Lecavalier's terrible deal and a guy like Eric Brewer, could we use a compliance buyout on Vinny?

So, you'd essentially trade Letang for just Brewer? The way I understand it, the team buying out a player cannot then resign said player.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Why would you trade Letang for Brewer at all? Brewer is terrible.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ILikeTurtles on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
ILikeTurtles wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Letang for Quincey and Abdelkader. Yeah. Eh I hate throwing stuff around when I'm on mobile.

That is pretty bad. Letang could net a way bigger return even if it is at the 2014 draft.

I don't think I would willingly send talent to Detriot, especially now that they are essentially in the East.

If there is a trade with Detroit, it better be Ericsson, Nyquist, and their 1st. Which isn't great, but much better than Quincey and Abdelkader.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Why would you trade Letang for Brewer at all? Brewer is terrible.

Hypotheticals Randall...hypotheticals. It's pretty much a given that TB will not be trading Hedman for Letang.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm

ILikeTurtles wrote:

Yeah that's why I said I don't like doing it on mobile cause I can't research anything. Just wanted to go outside the box if you will.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm

sil wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Why would you trade Letang for Brewer at all? Brewer is terrible.

Hypotheticals Randall...hypotheticals. It's pretty much a given that TB will not be trading Hedman for Letang.

OK,

so why would we hypothetically trade Letang for Brewer? :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:03 pm

I don't even know what to say about some of these trade ideas.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Well, Mark Streit getting over $5mil a year from the Flyers, another 35 and older player to boot, tells me Letang is all but gone. He should be asking for 8-10mil a season based on what these other players are getting.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:29 pm

columbia wrote:I don't even know what to say about some of these trade ideas.

And that's why we're the GM and you're not :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Carolina really likes puck-moving d-men and are having to settle these days for Joe Corvo(UFA) and Pitknanen. How about Letang for Jeff Skinner straight-up? Skinner's contract isn't bad the next few years and though he has had a couple of concussions, he can really go and play LW or C. Problem is that I don't know if the Canes can afford Letang's soon-to-be-salary. Tlusty has one more year and then he's going to be a lot more than 1.6mil/yr.

Canes are going all-in right now and might be willing to move Skinner who didn't have a lot of chemistry with long-term signee Staal and they already have Eric and Semin under long-term deals. They also have Ward inked for 3 more years. It would be tough for them to give up a #1 pick with a lot of talent and fan appeal like Skinner, but I can see Letang being the kind of player they would covet right now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm

brwi wrote:Canes are going all-in right now

I thought that was our thing? :(
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Where is this thinking coming from that there's room on this team for another $5m+ winger, but not a $7m #1 dman?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:03 pm

brwi wrote:Carolina really likes puck-moving d-men and are having to settle these days for Joe Corvo(UFA) and Pitknanen. How about Letang for Jeff Skinner straight-up? Skinner's contract isn't bad the next few years and though he has had a couple of concussions, he can really go and play LW or C. Problem is that I don't know if the Canes can afford Letang's soon-to-be-salary. Tlusty has one more year and then he's going to be a lot more than 1.6mil/yr.

Canes are going all-in right now and might be willing to move Skinner who didn't have a lot of chemistry with long-term signee Staal and they already have Eric and Semin under long-term deals. They also have Ward inked for 3 more years. It would be tough for them to give up a #1 pick with a lot of talent and fan appeal like Skinner, but I can see Letang being the kind of player they would covet right now.

You are never getting Skinner out of Carolina. Try Justin Faulk and their 1st round draft pick this year.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:03 pm

brwi wrote:Carolina really likes puck-moving d-men and are having to settle these days for Joe Corvo(UFA) and Pitknanen. How about Letang for Jeff Skinner straight-up? Skinner's contract isn't bad the next few years and though he has had a couple of concussions, he can really go and play LW or C. Problem is that I don't know if the Canes can afford Letang's soon-to-be-salary. Tlusty has one more year and then he's going to be a lot more than 1.6mil/yr.

It's an intriguing notion, but I don't think it works for us. It would just stack more cap money (Skinner at 5.75 for 5 more years) in the forward group and leave us with a big hole on D and little cap room to fill it with.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wjsan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Well, Mark Streit getting over $5mil a year from the Flyers, another 35 and older player to boot, tells me Letang is all but gone. He should be asking for 8-10mil a season based on what these other players are getting.

Unbelieveable, guess not even a hometown discount will save us here. I hope Duper doesn't have the same agent as Streit!

:roll:
Wjsan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 pm

pcm wrote:Where is this thinking coming from that there's room on this team for another $5m+ winger, but not a $7m #1 dman?

I don't think Letang can be signed to 7mil/yr is the first problem. You see the contract Ryan Suter got from the Wild? 7.5+ forever. I think Letang may indeed command more, not that I am arguing whether he's "worth " it or not, but the marketplace dictates that.

Pens need some LW help. Kunitz is not getting younger and plugging Iggy into LW was kind of a fail. Skinner can play wing and when Sid or Malkin go down with an injury or three, move over to center.

I don't see Carolina moving Faulk at all. Rumors for the past couple of years is that several have tried and none succeeded. He also has a very favorable contract at the moment at 900K and then RFA next year.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Wjsan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Well, Mark Streit getting over $5mil a year from the Flyers, another 35 and older player to boot, tells me Letang is all but gone. He should be asking for 8-10mil a season based on what these other players are getting.

Unbelieveable, guess not even a hometown discount will save us here. I hope Duper doesn't have the same agent as Streit!

:roll:

They don't. Pat Brisson is Streit's agent and Allan Walsh is Dupuis'. Walsh has a rep as tough but fair to deal with and is well-respected by GM's. Still, it becomes a matter of how much discount will Dupuis take and how much will RS give and can they meet somewhere close to the middle? I kind of think no myself and that Dupuis banks the big bucks and at a longer term than RS is comfortable with.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
sil wrote:

OK,

so why would we hypothetically trade Letang for Brewer? :pop:

To bring out other talking points in the discussion...since it's all in the land of make-believe anyway. I don't have any hypothetical phone calls into the league, nor do I have hypothetical trade papers drafted up for the GM's to sign with hypothetical pencils.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 pm

sil wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

So, you'd essentially trade Letang for just Brewer? The way I understand it, the team buying out a player cannot then resign said player.

Nah, not specifically... just hypothetically...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Pitt87 wrote:Nah, not specifically... just hypothetically...

:lol: :thumb:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoCalPenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Yep the market is getting completely out of control. For as much as I love Sarge, I was shocked Dallas gave him 5m when he is on his last legs. Letang will be able to command 8 in this market....so were done. Get on the phone and make a deal.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins