briere

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: briere

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Hartnell is a quality complementary winger on a scoring line. He definitely has value. Plus, he's a big fan favorite. Apples and gorillas comparing Briere and Hartnell, not close in terms of buyout odds...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,542
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: briere

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Hartnell's heel act is good for the league; there's too many personality-free players.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,735
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: briere

Postby Desiato on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:48 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:There is nothing wrong with Hartnell's cap hit. He's worth that.



I agree. Actually many people felt he took a significant discount at the time that he signed that deal.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/08/21/scott-hartnell-signed-a-6-year-deal-with-the-flyers-for-less-money-than-hes-worth/


Hartnell would be flayed as a Pen on LGP with that contract after this past season. Projected over 82 game, his production would have been 20G, 8A. By no reasonable standard was his season representative of good value for the price paid. Take away his production and he's a dime a dozen player. There are a lot of fruity acts like his in the minors.
Last edited by Desiato on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: briere

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:Hartnell is a quality complementary winger on a scoring line. He definitely has value. Plus, he's a big fan favorite. Apples and gorillas comparing Briere and Hartnell, not close in terms of buyout odds...


Maybe not in the two years that Briere is still signed, but Hartnell is signed for 6 more years, which makes him 37 years at the end of this contract. He's been super durable to this point, but power forward don't generally last that long. Maybe its just me, but I would want to get the most money off my books with a buyout. Good point about being a fan favorite though.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,961
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: briere

Postby KG on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 am

I've seen a few people on the boards mentioning Briere and the Pens. Who do you see him fitting in with here? and at the expense of whom? curious. I never thought about Briere. To me he was always a center...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,854
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: briere

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 am

Desiato wrote:Take away his production and he's a dime a dozen player.


I just wanted to pull that out of the post so you can see it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,545
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: briere

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

Kaizer wrote:briere is a playoff performer. not everyone needs to be a bone crushing checker to win. he's got about as much toughness as Neal, with a much better hockey mind, and passing ability. I'd rather have him than keep watching Iginla enter the zone, lose the puck, exit the zone.


I agree with this, Briere is unbelievable in the postseason. People here can mock his smurf size and whatever else they want about him, but the midget shows up when it counts.

His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: briere

Postby Staggy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Yeah it was, if you compare the 09 and 10 playoffs, he had maybe the 3rd best postseason in a 2 season stretch...
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,697
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: briere

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.


Jesus Christ...it wasn't even the best performance in the 2010 playoffs. So, unless that was the only playoffs you ever watched, that's a ridiculously strong kick to the sack of NHL history...and for no reason at all either...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,542
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: briere

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.


Jesus Christ...it wasn't even the best performance in the 2010 playoffs. So, unless that was the only playoffs you ever watched, that's a ridiculously strong kick to the sack of NHL history...and for no reason at all either...


I'm sorry. I know that not all of us can be the authority of everything NHL, all the time. I bow down to your supreme hockey wisdom, I'm honored just to be on the same forum with such a hockey mind, honestly.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: briere

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Two choices:

Rylan wrote:lol


or

You know what you said is wrong...why say it? I mean, there's two things: if you know history, you know it's not true. If you don't, then you shouldn't really make the claim because of how outwardly silly it sounds in a vacuum anyway. Granted, I shouldn't have bothered...but it really was a pretty egregious thing to say...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,542
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: briere

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I didn't even post and mikey knew exactly what I would have typed. Weird.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,861
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: briere

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Rylan wrote:I didn't even post and mikey knew exactly what I would have typed. Weird.


I use that quite frequently now. So simple, yet so fitting in so many cases...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,542
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: briere

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 pm

It gets points across without hurting feelings most often.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,861
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: briere

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Rylan wrote:It gets points across without hurting feelings most often.


One of the best "getting your point across without hurting feelings most often" performances in board history. Unless, Mikey wants to chime in and tell me otherwise.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: briere

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
Rylan wrote:It gets points across without hurting feelings most often.


One of the best "getting your point across without hurting feelings most often" performances in board history. Unless, Mikey wants to chime in and tell me otherwise.


Actually it is. Went down in the annals of LGP history as one of the most concise responses without anyone negativity. There was a parade and everything.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,861
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: briere

Postby Pitts on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:His 2010 postseason was one of the best in NHL history.


Jesus Christ...it wasn't even the best performance in the 2010 playoffs. So, unless that was the only playoffs you ever watched, that's a ridiculously strong kick to the sack of NHL history...and for no reason at all either...

Plus, counting this up coming season, it will have been 4 years ago. Some people seem to forget that players age and become significantly less effective as that happens.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,077
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: briere

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 am

Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/17/flyers-reportedly-agree-to-terms-with-mark-streit-will-buy-out-ilya-bryzgalov-and-danny-briere
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,961
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: briere

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Pitt87 wrote:Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/17/flyers-reportedly-agree-to-terms-with-mark-streit-will-buy-out-ilya-bryzgalov-and-danny-briere

That is because, by adding Streit's rumored deal, Philly sits at roughly $75 million on a $64 million cap. Idiots.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,077
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: briere

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Pitts wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Source on the Streit deal says that his contract will not be validated by the NHL until they dump Bryz and Briere.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/17/flyers-reportedly-agree-to-terms-with-mark-streit-will-buy-out-ilya-bryzgalov-and-danny-briere

That is because, by adding Streit's rumored deal, Philly sits at roughly $75 million on a $64 million cap. Idiots.


Are you serious. And they still don't have a team to compete.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: briere

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm

pronger comes off the books at some point with his LTIR
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,223
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: briere

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm

I wonder if the NHL will allow the Flyers to keep Pronger on LTIR for the duration of his contract. if it is clear he isn't returning, at some point the league needs to treat it as cap circumvention.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,173
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: briere

Postby marek on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Frodo ends up in Detroit
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,668
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 am
Location: The Farms, La Jolla California

Re: briere

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I wonder if the NHL will allow the Flyers to keep Pronger on LTIR for the duration of his contract. if it is clear he isn't returning, at some point the league needs to treat it as cap circumvention.


Its the union you'd have to deal with, since the player is legitimately injured and what they are doing is not outside the bounds of the CBA.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,961
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: briere

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:pronger comes off the books at some point with his LTIR


He doesn't come off the books, but you could argue that he basically gives you Coburn for 82 games at cap-neutral.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,961
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: meow, silentom and 2 guests

e-mail