Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 pm

newarenanow wrote:What does brick mean?

Can't do anything but be a brick.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Rylan wrote:

Forever?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Turok on N64 was one of my faves.

I never owned that game, but borrowed it once. Was there a point to it or was it just like deathmatch maps?

Looking back, I'm not terribly certain what the plot actually was
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Forever?

You hear it often used with consumer electronic devices that people try to put custom firmware on - stuff like cell phones, tablets, digital media players, routers. It means you can't do a factory restore and you're stuck with it not knowing how to run itself.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

skullman80 wrote:Microsoft is free to do business however they want. I think they have already seen some backlash though, and their sales will be hurt as a result. The stuff they are doing won't effect me personally, but I don't agree with the way they are doing things.

Well, this is a big story because what Microsoft is doing is not only related to them, but it seems they want to change the entire gaming industry into what they think it should be. So if it bites, it will affect Sony and Nintendo and possibly even Steam (competition). Not to mention what it will do in regard to business for companies like Gamestop or Walmart or Amazon. I'm not even mentioning the camera staring at you all the time (which i'm pretty sure the gov. will be able to activate at will even if you turn it off or what if someone hacks into it... screw that) and also the elimination of private sales between people on Ebay or at the Amazon market. This is huge and people should be talking about it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Rylan wrote:

Forever?

You hear it often used with consumer electronic devices that people try to put custom firmware on - stuff like cell phones, tablets, digital media players, routers. It means you can't do a factory restore and you're stuck with it not knowing how to run itself.

In this instance no. You have to download the update to a USB and then install it into the PS3 while the PS3 is in safe mode. The update was available this morning as far as I know.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Got everything up and running and started Last Of Us this morning.

Holy crap, that opening was...... :shock:

Never has a game made me feel like crying in the first 10 minutes.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Spangler wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Got everything up and running and started Last Of Us this morning.

What do you mean, is it that emotional? I watched some of the intro demo play... the acting (eh, you know what i mean) and the mood seemed excellent.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Sarcastic wrote:read points 3 and 1... i almost pissed my pants.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-features-new-xbox-that-are-about-to-ruin-everything/

Ha. That is good.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Looks like Microsoft saw the light, or rather all the lost sales...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/ ... e=facebook
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Also my PS3 is fine, it didn't auto update the new system update so I can still play. Phew...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:02 pm

NAN, after restarting Lego lotr, I've come to the conclusion that you need a wiiU. Undercover is friggin huge in comparison...just monstrous
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 pm

skullman80 wrote:Looks like Microsoft saw the light, or rather all the lost sales...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/ ... e=facebook

im kind of amazed. like, really amazed.

the digital friend list sharing and mandatory ripping to hard drive are out the window. i liked the idea of never getting a disc out again. but all my discs are used, so that wouldve been worthless to me. i can still do that if i buy digital copies.

their preorder numbers must have been abysmal. i could see game planning a scenerio to deal with this by christmas or in the aftermath of all the consoles people thought were broken when trying to set them up on christmas morning, but for a company as headstrong as Microsoft to do this shows they were looking at low preorders.

there are actually people on the avs xbox forum mad over this :face:
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Spangler wrote:

What do you mean, is it that emotional? I watched some of the intro demo play... the acting (eh, you know what i mean) and the mood seemed excellent.

It's a combination of things. Yes, it's pretty emotional. The acting in the "whoa...." scene is excellent. But mostly I'd say it's buoyed by the shock value of what happens at the close of the intro. It's bananas.

pittsoccer33 wrote:their preorder numbers must have been abysmal. i could see game planning a scenerio to deal with this by christmas or in the aftermath of all the consoles people thought were broken when trying to set them up on christmas morning, but for a company as headstrong as Microsoft to do this shows they were looking at low preorders.

You know, it's funny. They've been giving the impression that their pre-order numbers were pretty strong. GameStop had to stop taking orders because they hit their launch day allocation, and they are the number one seller on Amazon.

But dig into this a little more deeply. According to some GameStop managers, some stores were only allocated 16 XBONES for launch day; Sony has allocated 60 PS4s. And that sales list on Amazon... as you alluded when you shared it, five of the remaining things on that top ten list were PS4 bundles and the launch day edition of the standalone console, so I'm reasonably sure the overall sales volume for PS4 pre-orders is higher.

All that aside, pre-orders don't really tell the tale. The XBONE comes out before Christmas, the PS4 comes out after. For that reason alone I'd expect the XBONE to outperform in the pre-sales arena. But, even if they were having strong pre-sales... that's just holiday and fanboi customers. Those aren't sustainable. People like me who won't buy either product on launch day are, imo, the real motivator here. As you say, there are fanbois who are actually upset over this.

(Fwiw, I've spoken to about 35-40 people at my company since the XBONE announcement. I have not yet found a single voice sympathetic to MSFT.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 pm

ps4 AFTER christmas? really? i guess i missed that in all the uproar. i thought november.

the amazon link i posted last night had xb1 at #1. five of the other top ten spots were various ps4 bundles. i bet the ratio was at least 5:1

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474708/the-o ... hread/3450

msft fanboys coming out of the woodwork decrying the new policy. they never fleshed out this family game sharing option and it was vague. these guys thought they were going to get off scott free being able to play all their pals discs via the internet.

they can still promote digital sales - just give some incentive - lower prices, family sharing, dlc at no extra charge, buy one get one half off weekends, buy ten games from a publisher get one free, that kind of stuff.

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Xbox one is still gonna need a day one update to allow it to not have to connect every 24 hours etc. Not that thats a big deal, but I could see some family in podunk Arkansas getting an Xbox One and wondering why little Timmy can't play his games since their system isn't hooked up to the internet.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:55 pm

4 is higher than 1. Advantage: playstation. Plus, I never got used to xbox controllers.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm

you cant make this stuff up

guess i ought to upgrade my browser on this computer
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 pm

lol I got this just now

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Holy craaaaap. Look.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100829407

With the announcement, Microsoft hopes to nullify some of the damage the company did to its reputation with gamers at E3 and the weeks leading up to it. Sony undercut the Xbox One's price by $100 at E3, but the real reaction was for its clearly stated policies on used games (which would work the same way they do this generation) and mandatory Internet connectivity (there was none).

During the show, Amazon polled customers to see which next-gen console they planned on preordering. The results were staggering, with the PS4 outperforming the Xbox One 18 to 1—garnering 94 percent of the vote before the poll was taken down.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:42 pm

Xbone evened the score a bit with me today. I'm back to "undecided." I'm planning on sticking with 360 until next Christmas. I'll enjoy NHL 14 and Ghosts until then.

By that point, we should know the advantages of each console a lot better and I'll make my choice.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:39 pm

I've been watching a play through of Last of Us - that does look like an incredible game. Very cinematic and detailed - so much detail and art for obscure corners that you walk by in 5 seconds.

Made me covet a PS3 a little bit. Just a little.

I haven't seen much here on Titanfall, but it looks interesting - the original Infinity Ward guys are behind it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spangler on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Spangler wrote:

I'll just say, the acting felt very real in the given situation that will go unnamed.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I haven't seen much here on Titanfall, but it looks interesting - the original Infinity Ward guys are behind it.

Considering the IW guys had to leave all their tech behind when they parted from ATVI, what they've accomplished so far with "Titanfall" is utterly amazing. Don't think I'll ever play the game - it's multiplayer only - but I still recognize its potential greatness. I think Game Informer named it Best In Show at E3.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR