The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Ron Cook is a grumpy old man.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,535
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Atleast Vinnie has a personality.


This. I'm kind of whatever on the guy but he at least seems like he enjoys what he's doing. He's like you're uncle at Christmas who might be right or might be wrong, but he just seems like a guy who's doing his job cause he likes to talk sports.

Cook and Fillipponi on the other hand......


Cook has said on the show that he doesn't have a favorite player and that he doesn't consider him self to be a fan of any team.

For as miserable as he is, I don't doubt him one bit.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,219
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 am

Jim Krenn does THE WORST Bill Cosby impression ive ever heard.
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,804
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Bring Me Four Fried Chickens and a Coke...

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 am

What has happened to Krenn's career is pretty damn sad in my opinion. Dude went from hosting the highest rated morning show in the area to whoring himself and his crappy impressions in car dealership ads. Those ads are just embarrassing.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,952
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby jimjom on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:30 am

It was so torturous to losten to Krenn's Liam Neeson impression on that commercial that I timed it, he did the impression for over a minute.

Yeah, unless he has a no compete clause I can't understand why he wasn't brought back onto a radio show somewhere in the area. He lives here and is involved in charity plus his schtick really only works in Pittsburgh. Did he establish a bad reputation or something, was he a jerk to people? I can't see him being a jerk but then again you never know what the person is like when they're not on air.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,770
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:02 pm

from wiki:

An indication of his popularity in the Pittsburgh market: he won the City Paper's 2012 Readers Poll as "Pittsburgh's Favorite Radio Personality of the Year" even though he wasn't on the air as he was honoring a non-compete after his release from WDVE after 24 years


From what I found online, he was fired/released in December 2011. Is there really such a thing as an 18 month no compete?

Also I never heard of a place that keeps their no compete clause intact after they fire you. If you are released from your job whether by firing, layoff, or whatever, they are technically voiding any written agreement that you have with the company.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,219
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 pm

JS© wrote:from wiki:

An indication of his popularity in the Pittsburgh market: he won the City Paper's 2012 Readers Poll as "Pittsburgh's Favorite Radio Personality of the Year" even though he wasn't on the air as he was honoring a non-compete after his release from WDVE after 24 years


From what I found online, he was fired/released in December 2011. Is there really such a thing as an 18 month no compete?

Also I never heard of a place that keeps their no compete clause intact after they fire you. If you are released from your job whether by firing, layoff, or whatever, they are technically voiding any written agreement that you have with the company.


Not unless he accepted severance pay.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,225
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Well if its on Wikipedia its gotta be true right?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,804
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Bring Me Four Fried Chickens and a Coke...

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby pensfan1989 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:07 pm

pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,111
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Ponakronkoski

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:16 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Well if its on Wikipedia its gotta be true right?


There were articles cited, but I took the numbers out of the c&p version of the article.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,219
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Listened to the Philly sports radio show this morning on ihr, The Fanatic. I forget who the two hosts were, but they themselves were miles better than the heads here (loads of substance and topic engagement), and they were allowed to go on for more than 4.145 minutes at a stretch before commercial.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,629
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Zeros

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby PghSkins on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 am

Paul's former producer's wife wins the announcer contest.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,601
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Hack Squad Holla

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:00 am

PghSkins wrote:Paul's former producer's wife wins the announcer contest.

Hmm.......ironic?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,804
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Bring Me Four Fried Chickens and a Coke...

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 am

I made the mistake of tuning into Dunlap last night.
There's a lot going on in PGH sports right now....he was taking calls on that dude from the Patriots.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,442
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 am

It is the biggest sports story in the country right now
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,517
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 am

What insight could Dunlap possibly have that isn't redundant. I could see Dunlap loving this topic because he could spend hours just talking about what a terrible and stupid person Hernandez is. It's fish in a barrel for a guy who's shtick is to just look down on everything.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,488
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:It is the biggest sports story in the country right now


I guess.

Then again, I don't see someone from the NFL behaving badly as news. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,442
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby jimjom on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:58 am

Who won the Fan contest? Some lady?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,770
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 am

jimjom wrote:Who won the Fan contest? Some lady?


viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43611&start=4225#p2474535
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,219
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 am

viva la ben wrote:Ron Cook is a grumpy old man.


He was his bitter old self yesterday. Vinnie asked if he was gonna support some local program that was having a fundraiser, and Cook said something along the lines of him having a previous engagement. When Vinnie asked, Cook told him "I don't think that's any of your business."

You're on a radio show. Your job is to talk, especially if there's a co-host, not to be a miserable, bottled-up jerk.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,219
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby jimjom on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

I meant it incredulously ^^^ like "whaaa?"
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,770
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:44 pm

JS© wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Ron Cook is a grumpy old man.


He was his bitter old self yesterday. Vinnie asked if he was gonna support some local program that was having a fundraiser, and Cook said something along the lines of him having a previous engagement. When Vinnie asked, Cook told him "I don't think that's any of your business."

You're on a radio show. Your job is to talk, especially if there's a co-host, not to be a miserable, bottled-up jerk.


Ron Cook and Bob Smizik should have an hour of old man chat everyday. I feel so bad for Vinnie anymore. Ron being so evil towards him has actually made me like Vinnie.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,804
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Bring Me Four Fried Chickens and a Coke...

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Anyone that likes to torture themselves should turn on Da Fahn. Paul Zeise is sure to ruin your night.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,804
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Bring Me Four Fried Chickens and a Coke...

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Anyone that likes to torture themselves should turn on Da Fahn. Paul Zeise is sure to ruin your night.

He's like the local drunk at a bar. Wild hyperbole "or something like that" is all he speaks in. AND all he does is yell. PEDRO IS OBE OF THE BEST 3rd BASEMAN IN THE GAME. He's
GONNA HIT .240 OR .280 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT CAUSE HE'S ONE OF THE 42 BEAT THIRD BASE GUYS
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,372
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
JS© wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Ron Cook is a grumpy old man.


He was his bitter old self yesterday. Vinnie asked if he was gonna support some local program that was having a fundraiser, and Cook said something along the lines of him having a previous engagement. When Vinnie asked, Cook told him "I don't think that's any of your business."

You're on a radio show. Your job is to talk, especially if there's a co-host, not to be a miserable, bottled-up jerk.


Ron Cook and Bob Smizik should have an hour of old man chat everyday. I feel so bad for Vinnie anymore. Ron being so evil towards him has actually made me like Vinnie.


same here.

I turn on the radio waiting for either him to snap and rip into Cook or just say "screw this, I'm done working with you, I quit."
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,219
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eismann, KennyTheKangaroo, meecrofilm, PghSkins and 9 guests

e-mail