Gym/Exercise Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby JS© on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:42 pm

If anybody is looking to do the "Pittsburgh" Tough Mudder, it's listed on Living Social for $99. That includes the insurance and processing fees too. It's a good deal considering the entry is now $175 before fees.

https://livingsocial.com/events/cities/ ... urce=blast

* - "Pittsburgh" is somehow near St. Clairsville, Ohio. I've driven further for an event, but I'm somehow put off by this. #yinzer
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 am

and active.com just released a coupon code for 50% off of Ruckus Pittsburgh (july 13th). Normally $76, it would be $38 + whatever fees.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:54 pm

canaan wrote:i dont think i've biked 50-60 miles life-to-date.

I almost have that distance covered this month. 30 miles on my watch, another 4 from yesterday (didn't charge the watch), and 2 mud races....that's about 40 miles with about a week left in June.

Spoiler:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:51 am

I'm bragging: http://www.rachelcarsontrails.org/rct/challenge

35 miles, 14 hours.
I hurt pretty bad yesterday, but it was worth it. This is the only event t-shirt that means anything to me.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 am

I'd brag about that one too. Nice job.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

So I'm moving this week (should be all moved in by Saturday) and am going to start up p90x again. I will finally have the room to do the exercises after living two years in a tiny apartment. I started it a few years ago and made it about 3 or 4 weeks in before hurting my shoulder pretty badly playing soccer and just never got back into it after that. I threw away all the supplements and protein stuff that I had as they expired before the move started this week. My question for any fitness buffs here, what supplements should I get while doing the p90x workouts? When I did it before I had protein shakes along with amino acid additive to go with it for after workouts. I had a multivitamin for just every day stuff and a thermogenics supplement for pre workouts. Can anyone give me advice if I'm on the right path with that or would you add or subtract any of that?

I've taken the past 2 months to get my diet under control, which was way way out of control. I've lost 10 pounds just doing that over the past month and a half, and now I'm ready to jump back into a workout routine. I've been on such a roller coaster the past 8 years as far as my weight is concerned, I've been down to as low as 210 feeling great (i'm 6'5" btw) and have been as high as 310 feeling absolutely miserable with myself. After being at my low of 210 5 years ago, I got up to 285 a couple months ago before working on my diet and am currently back at 275, but I want to get back to that feeling I was at when I hit 210. My diet is highish in protein and fiber, try to watch the carbs.... i.e. lots of meat, veggies, and fruits, try to stay away from a lot of breads and pastas (as much as I can anyways).
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:36 pm

If you need a pre-workout then you could do the Beta Alanine. But for something like P90X, once you get the blood flowing, do you really need "meth" to keep you going and get pumped?

I think creatine would be a fine supplement post-workout. Plus the usual stuff: flax seed, chia seed, protein powder, etc.

But you could also ditch both of those and just stick with a healthy diet and see great results too. But sometimes for me, taking the supplements helps me geek out on getting to the gym and doing workouts, so I can see why you might still want to take pre- and post-workout supplements.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 pm

I would never have a shake if i actually wanted to eat after a workout.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 pm

I plan to do the workouts in the morning, and I never eat breakfast, so I wouldn't be eating right afterwards anyways, so a shake is probably the way for me to go.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I would never have a shake if i actually wanted to eat after a workout.

I will generally have a shake immediately after then a larger meal 60-90 minutes later. I can't eat a lot right afterwards.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I would never have a shake if i actually wanted to eat after a workout.

I will generally have a shake immediately after then a larger meal 60-90 minutes later. I can't eat a lot right afterwards.

this as well... i didn't eat dinner last night because i was kind of exercising while moving boxes and just wasn't hungry at all. I regretted it about 10 o'clock though when I got really hungry.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm

You should eat breakfast to help your metabolism along. If you're working out first thing I imagine that would have the same effect. After a workout you'll want to give your muscles protein so a shake would be a great idea post workout, especially first thing in the morning.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

BCAAs pre-workout. A lot of protein powders have them as an ingredient. Stay away from soy protein. If there's a Wegman's near you I would suggest their store brand whey protein. Pretty tasty and has BCAAs.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:16 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:BCAAs pre-workout. A lot of protein powders have them as an ingredient. Stay away from soy protein. If there's a Wegman's near you I would suggest their store brand whey protein. Pretty tasty and has BCAAs.

Really? Thanks, I would have never thought to look there (was actually going to go to walmart or something). Wegman's is my normal shopping local.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

The vanilla is good, and strawberry is also good. Never had the chocolate. The vanilla tastes really good with orange coconut water which is really nice as coconut water is the best way to hydrate. That's my post workout drink. Drink it within 30-45min MAX after you're done. I use it to make pancakes too. Just add a couple of scoops to the mix and voila, protein pancakes.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

I try to get just vanilla protein. I have had cookies and cream which mixes with nothing. Also, yeah...you need to be eating in the morning or consuming some kind of fuel if you're working out.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:17 pm

The best Whey protein powder on the market, that I have come across.

http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/u ... ct-protein

http://www.amazon.com/Unipro-Perfect-Pr ... ct+protein

1 scoop = a serving (convenient and easy to drink)
Amazing Amino profile
Made by Metagenics which is a an incredible company
Contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners (i.e., aspartame, acesulfame K) and is sucrose-free.
and its cheap as hell
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Godric on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 pm

just got done doing my circuit.... im beat.

Toward the end... I didn't want to go home with any possibility of feelin guilty that I didn't push myself hard enough today so I was eyeing up the bench press but I didn't have a spot.

Some guy, pasty dude... kinda scrawny (maybe 5'10 175lbs)... old... like late 40s early 50s... saw me looking at it while I was taking a breather and asked if I wanted a partner

I said sure

so I load up and do a set at like my current max

I get off and go to change the weight...

He says no this is good... he then blasts a set and makes me look weak as hell.

I was just like whoa.

im certainly no Arnold impersonator but i am 21 and I do keep active and this sickly looking old man completely owned me.

you can't really ever tell how strong someone is.... look at Malkin's chicken legs for example.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby stopper40 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:50 am

Godric wrote:just got done doing my circuit.... im beat.

Toward the end... I didn't want to go home with any possibility of feelin guilty that I didn't push myself hard enough today so I was eyeing up the bench press but I didn't have a spot.

Some guy, pasty dude... kinda scrawny (maybe 5'10 175lbs)... old... like late 40s early 50s... saw me looking at it while I was taking a breather and asked if I wanted a partner

I said sure

I was just like whoa.

im certainly no Arnold impersonator but i am 21 and I do keep active and this sickly looking old man completely owned me.

you can't really ever tell how strong someone is.... look at Malkin's chicken legs for example.

You didn't get owned by anyone. The only person you're competing with is yourself, not the old guy. You did your current max. The only thing to do is to keep working.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan1989 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 am

Just finished my first 10k in almost 10 years. Felt so good to finish.

The Apollo Night Race to the Moon was a great event. Would definitely recommend it in the coming years.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Race sounded fun. How did I miss it, especially with it being minutes from where I work?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Tried a hack squat with barbell today. I probably did too much weight as I couldn't keep my back straight. The burn in my thighs was exquisite, though.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:46 pm

What do yinz think of this concept?
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... e-workout/

#PFIDC
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm

stopper40 wrote:
Godric wrote:just got done doing my circuit.... im beat.

I said sure

I was just like whoa.

You didn't get owned by anyone. The only person you're competing with is yourself, not the old guy. You did your current max. The only thing to do is to keep working.

If you have the attitude that this guy "owned" you, its time to move to jersey and get a spray tan.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm

columbia wrote:What do yinz think of this concept?
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... e-workout/

#PFIDC

When I get to a PC I can give a longer response but, on short, HIIT is great. However, only 7 minutes is not enough time to keep your heart rate elevated to do any good. If you did 5 rounds then it would be a great WOD. It also depnds on fitness level and the goals of the person working out.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR