Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

canaan wrote:NAN, after restarting Lego lotr, I've come to the conclusion that you need a wiiU. Undercover is friggin huge in comparison...just monstrous

Once I get one (I think I have the wife convinced), that will be one of the first games I get.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Now that I've started to get into Skyrim a bit, I can see where it will quickly become a time sink.

My biggest problem now is remembering where things are.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:37 pm

The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault
"Publishers KNOW that they will not make money on resold games, so they charge more to you, the first buyer."

What. A. Fool.

Anyone want to take a stab what our wholesale price is for a $59 retail game? Hint: it's $39, out of which we must pay the First Party fees for the privilege of making a PS3 or X360 game, distribution costs, and any other third party fees that may apply (like, for example, a developer royalty). Generally, from a $60 retail game the publisher pockets less than half that.

And here's another point for your pondering enjoyment: With years of market acceptance of the $60 price point.... what publisher is going - of their own volition - to say "Hey, let's only charge $30 for games!" Don't believe me, look at Steam. There's no price discount for buying a digital version of the game despite distribution and packaging costs being a fraction of those for packaged games. More the fool me, of course, since I buy all my PC games digitally now. But there's an example of how the 'market' keeps prices high because consumers simply accept the price point for the goods their buying, without a thought as to what drives those prices.

And I don't even know how to address the absurdity of 'used' digital games....
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't agree with most of what he says, but I think over time the market would have to adjust to the fact games no longer have an inherent resale value. It would be just like buying vs leasing a car - you pay a lower monthly payment on a lease because you can't sell it.

I don't know how much the number would change, but I imagine over time fewer new games would be bought at $60 if that can't be flipped and the money used for another game.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:58 pm

tifosi77 wrote:And I don't even know how to address the absurdity of 'used' digital games....

Don't worry, someone already did

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/busin ... .html?_r=0

A federal judge in New York has dealt a blow to the nascent business of reselling digital goods like music and e-books, ruling that a small company’s secondary market for digital music infringes on the copyrights controlled by record companies.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah, I do squarely side with the judge's ruling in that case; because you are not re-selling your actual file, but rather a copy of it, First Sale does not provide a defense to copyright infringement claims. The whole idea of re-selling digital content is, to me, a complete non-starter under current law.

An interesting thing about ReDigi.... they were actually reserving a portion of all their sales proceeds in an escrow account to share revenue with copyright holders.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Some funny potentially NSFW content...... http://i.minus.com/iVcFhLvTFgh0c.gif
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Dead Space 2 is such an underrated game
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 pm

CoJ Gunslinger. Awesome.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 am

are there any Mario Kart style games for 360? What other racing games are good for a beginner?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 am

I've never played it, but I'm guessing Sonic & Sega racing or whatever its called is similar.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 am

That sonic racing game is a poor man's Mario Kart. And I mean haggard. Like one shoe, holey pants, no shirt, 2 teeth, scraggly beard... the difference in quality is large, if not unsurprising.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 am

So yeah....... The Last Of US is pretty frickin' righteously insane. I'm only just now at the school in Lincoln, so I've got a ways to go yet. But the game is so well crafted, both in terms of story and gameplay. Very happy with it. Altho, if I'm honest, there have been instances where I've just had to force myself to quit.... not because I had been playing too long, but because the game was getting that intense. Just, "Okay, I need to take five here...."
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 am

I was planning to play some LA Noire last night, but decided to resume the quest to get all of the riddler trophies in Arkham city.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 am

I started LA Noire, got through the intro to become a detective. I assume it gets more difficult to tell if someone is lying moving forward, right?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:CoJ Gunslinger. Awesome.

It's so freaking awesome, I played it 3 times in a row.. start to finish. Upgraded everything. It is one of the most enjoyable shooters I played in a while. Just has the right feel to it. :fist:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I started LA Noire, got through the intro to become a detective. I assume it gets more difficult to tell if someone is lying moving forward, right?

It definitely does. And you get into much more detailed interrogations as the game progresses, as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am

Is evidence the only difference between doubt and lie?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Well, you can't call someone out on a lie (despite what their body language says) if you can't confront them with the evidence you've collected that directly contradicts their statement. And I think if you call someone out and can't back it up, it makes the interview harder to conduct or it ends right there.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Been trying to get into Skyrim, but running into technical annoyances. First of all, it keeps minimizing on its own every so often. This is apparently not an uncommon issue, but I didn't really see any solutions that weren't bs.

On top of that, the damn game has crashed on me the past 2 nights. Don't have any mods installed or anything... annoying as ****.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 am

Just finished Assassins Creed Brotherhood, as evidenced by the 2 AM post. Is it worth it to continue in the series? I liked AC 2 much better in that I did not have to follow a guy for 5000 miles before I fell down at h... I mean assassinate him.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:Just finished Assassins Creed Brotherhood, as evidenced by the 2 AM post. Is it worth it to continue in the series? I liked AC 2 much better in that I did not have to follow a guy for 5000 miles before I fell down at h... I mean assassinate him.

Revelations is a great game to play to clean up a lot of story...how Altair played out...how Ezio plays out. But just like Brotherhood was kind of more of an AC2 expansion with some added features...so is Revelations (although if you were going to only play 1, I would suggest Revelations even beyond the story line). AC3 is a brand new game with new and interesting stuff, but in every game...you are going to have to silently stalk some people and then kill. Now, the game is A LOT easier (aka less annoying) if you don't care about 100% synch.

In AC3 there are a couple missions where you have to stalk and eavesdrop for a while for 100%. On this one, there is a bunch of crap and people in your way and it is really annoying because they will notice you if you do ANYTHING not perfect...but they are also moving and if you aren't quick about things you will fall out of range. Now, if you dont care about 100% the mission is easy and you can get on with the story. If you want to get 100...really annoying. I dont remember AC:R too well to recall if there are any super annoying missions and whether you have the option to move along (without 100) or not.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 am

JeffDFD wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:Just finished Assassins Creed Brotherhood, as evidenced by the 2 AM post. Is it worth it to continue in the series? I liked AC 2 much better in that I did not have to follow a guy for 5000 miles before I fell down at h... I mean assassinate him.

Revelations is a great game to play to clean up a lot of story...how Altair played out...how Ezio plays out. But just like Brotherhood was kind of more of an AC2 expansion with some added features...so is Revelations (although if you were going to only play 1, I would suggest Revelations even beyond the story line). AC3 is a brand new game with new and interesting stuff, but in every game...you are going to have to silently stalk some people and then kill. Now, the game is A LOT easier (aka less annoying) if you don't care about 100% synch.

In AC3 there are a couple missions where you have to stalk and eavesdrop for a while for 100%. On this one, there is a bunch of crap and people in your way and it is really annoying because they will notice you if you do ANYTHING not perfect...but they are also moving and if you aren't quick about things you will fall out of range. Now, if you dont care about 100% the mission is easy and you can get on with the story. If you want to get 100...really annoying. I dont remember AC:R too well to recall if there are any super annoying missions and whether you have the option to move along (without 100) or not.

I actually own AC:R but have never played it. I bought it before I totally got sick of console games haha. I think I might pop that sucker in, as I really liked AC2 and AC2 brotherhood.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby She'sTheFastest on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:48 am

JeffDFD wrote:

Yeah, it seems the 100% thing was a cheap way of getting you to play more without actually adding anything. I just blew through everything. I don't play video games for puzzle strategy etc. I like them to be mindless entertainment.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:49 am

I think I'm gonna pick up an Ouya tonight after happy hour at Target. Anyone buy one this week?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR