I know most dont like Madden

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: I know most dont like Madden

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Don't get the Cooke stuff, but Madden is great.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 am

Considering how many people here would rather troll threads than talk hockey, it's not shocking how people like Madden.

I honestly had to check to see if this was a necro'd thread. What are Cooke's teammates cleaning up exactly? What has Cooke done in the past 2 years that makes them feel they are sick of his play now? He has been a consistent player who shows some edge to his game when he needs to. That's probably been the smartest thing Cooke has done... cut most of the stuff during the regular season and loosen up again in the playoffs when it's more the norm and there is more slack for that type of play. Cooke got tossed on an extremely bad call on the McQuaid hit (I think that was who he hit). Other than that, I can't even think of what his teammates feel they have to clean up in 2013 (maybe if this was 2011?).
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:47 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Don't get the Cooke stuff, but Madden is great.

I'd buy that for a dollar. Btw Madden is a super awesome dude.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 am

I can tolerate Madden when he's interviewing someone, mainly because all he does is ask a question and listen.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stopper40 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 am

Daniel87 wrote:I can tolerate Madden when he's interviewing someone, mainly because all he does is ask a question and listen.

I think he's awful at interviewing. He has his questions written down beforehand, as he should, but he never deviates from his list and almost never asks follow up questions
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 am

I listen to Madden to be entertained, weather i agree with him or not at times i am entertained.

Funny with him i either agree 100% or not at all. Hardly ever any middle ground. But even when i don't agree i can see why he is taking the position he has.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Boogeyman on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Just like how Tippett will be replacing Bylsma if Tippet becomes available. Literally the day after Mark says that... Bylsma 2 year extension.

Local media knows absolutely nothing from behind closed doors. Not a thing.

Cooke has been here for what, 4 years now? After 2 years of playing like a saint, all of the sudden his team can't stand him? Come on.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:07 pm

If you all hate him so much, why do you listen to him? Sounds like MM is laughing all the way to the bank.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Boogeyman on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Who hates him? I'm just pointing out the inaccuracies. I like Mark a lot actually, if you see past his shtick he seems like a good dude. That said, he, Rossi and Yohe are rumor mongers IMO.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Who hates him? I'm just pointing out the inaccuracies. I like Mark a lot actually, if you see past his shtick he seems like a good dude. That said, he, Rossi and Yohe are rumor mongers IMO.

Those guys have learned real fast once you become a rumor monger more people listen to you. Look at Eklund, 24/7 of crap yet that web site makes money because of the viewers.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mightyguins on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 am

No offense to anybody on here. but Madden forgot more about hockey then we all know. he knows the game well hes coached hockey teams in the past and won national championships. hes been going to pens games since he was 6 years old . its not like he just one day decided to talk hockey on a radio show for the hell of it. If anybody thinks those morons on 93.7 the fan know hockey more than madden then those people don't know hockey either. what you people don't realize is the way he acts on the radio towards fans is mostly just an act .(I say mostly cause some of you people that call his show are truly dumb-asses an deserve to be put down by him.) Ive meet Mark a bunch a times and hes a very nice guy as long as you don't say some stupid fan-boy gibberish like most of the stuff i read on message boards like this one. Bottom line is he has a very entertaining show and he is a good interviewer also .He does have a good relationship with Lemieux and the whole pens organization . as far as the cook thing goes i wouldn't doubt there are players that don't like him. you cant expect 25 to 30 players to like each other on a team. it just don't happen in any sport . ya you have to play with him on the ice but you don't have to like him. i personally think they shouldn't resign him his best day s are behind him its time to move on.
mightyguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TPW on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:40 am

Daniel87 wrote:I can tolerate Madden when he's interviewing someone, mainly because all he does is ask a question and listen.

I used to like him as an interviewer until my friend pointed out how heavily he breathes right into his mic the entire time. Ruined it for me.
TPW
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:17 am

mightyguins wrote:No offense to anybody on here. but Madden forgot more about hockey then we all know. he knows the game well hes coached hockey teams in the past and won national championships. hes been going to pens games since he was 6 years old . its not like he just one day decided to talk hockey on a radio show for the hell of it. If anybody thinks those morons on 93.7 the fan know hockey more than madden then those people don't know hockey either. what you people don't realize is the way he acts on the radio towards fans is mostly just an act .(I say mostly cause some of you people that call his show are truly dumb-asses an deserve to be put down by him.) Ive meet Mark a bunch a times and hes a very nice guy as long as you don't say some stupid fan-boy gibberish like most of the stuff i read on message boards like this one. Bottom line is he has a very entertaining show and he is a good interviewer also .He does have a good relationship with Lemieux and the whole pens organization . as far as the cook thing goes i wouldn't doubt there are players that don't like him. you cant expect 25 to 30 players to like each other on a team. it just don't happen in any sport . ya you have to play with him on the ice but you don't have to like him. i personally think they shouldn't resign him his best day s are behind him its time to move on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromance
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Funny stuff. I like MM, but that was funny.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Couple things on Madden....

I worked for Clear Channel for a few years right before Madden got there. When he was their competition, I know everyone associated with the company were big fans of him personally and professionally. Not too many people didnt dislike him as a person. Tim Benz was legitimately obsessed with him (still is). He would listen to Madden's show during commercials to see what he was talking about on his show. The best would be when the Madden was ripping the Pirates and Tim wouldnt be allowed to since Clear Channel was the home of the Pirates. Tim would legitimately cry and throw hissy fit tantrums because Madden would pretty much mock him for not being able/having the guts to criticize them. HILARIOUS stuff. Tim would give his left nut to be Mark Madden and still gets all excited when he gets to go on Madden's show. He still steals Madden's thoughts wanting to be him.

About 2 years after Madden was working for the X, I was out with one of the program managers there and we talked about Madden. He pretty much gushed over him and said he was willing to do whatever he was asked if it was good for the company, on or off the air. He also said he was easy to work it. Overall, he's considered a pretty nice guy. While I don't know him personally, I've been around him more than a few times and have talked with him at times. I got zero issues with him as a person.

Madden is the best in the business. He's not a sports talk show host. He's a professional wrestling character. He's a gimmick. Ever watch pro wrestling? There is a difference between wrestlers and entertainers. Some guys are great wrestlers in the ring, but that doesnt bring in money. It's the entertainers that bring in money. Guys like The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, CM Punk, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Chris Jericho, Dusty Rhodes, etc. You cant teach what those guys have. You wanna be a star? You better be able to talk, cut a promo, and entertain. That's what Madden does. And he's the best ENTERTAINER in the Pittsburgh media.

All that being said, Madden doesnt have nearly the direct sources to the Penguins people think in terms of players, coaches, front office guys. He gets most stuff from secondary sources/hearsay. I don't believe his Matt Cooke story. I don't think too many guys in that locker room would say that to him directly. Actually I 100% KNOW they wouldnt. But I dont doubt the validity of it. I'm sure many players feel its best that Matt Cookie moves on.

There is a reason Madden never breaks any Penguins stories or has inside info first.....
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby canaan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:06 pm

mightyguins wrote:No offense to anybody on here. but Madden forgot more about hockey then we all know. he knows the game well hes coached hockey teams in the past and won national championships. hes been going to pens games since he was 6 years old . its not like he just one day decided to talk hockey on a radio show for the hell of it. If anybody thinks those morons on 93.7 the fan know hockey more than madden then those people don't know hockey either. what you people don't realize is the way he acts on the radio towards fans is mostly just an act .(I say mostly cause some of you people that call his show are truly dumb-asses an deserve to be put down by him.) Ive meet Mark a bunch a times and hes a very nice guy as long as you don't say some stupid fan-boy gibberish like most of the stuff i read on message boards like this one. Bottom line is he has a very entertaining show and he is a good interviewer also .He does have a good relationship with Lemieux and the whole pens organization . as far as the cook thing goes i wouldn't doubt there are players that don't like him. you cant expect 25 to 30 players to like each other on a team. it just don't happen in any sport . ya you have to play with him on the ice but you don't have to like him. i personally think they shouldn't resign him his best day s are behind him its time to move on.

lol
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:12 pm

:shock:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 pm

ID40 will be disappointed.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:33 pm

The funny thing is that some people are genuinely shocked by a shock-jock.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 am

MRandall25 wrote:ID40 will be disappointed.

I was just reading this and shaking my head. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins