2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 am

They'll let him back, but I think they need to suspend him for the year....make him get his crap together.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,492
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:30 am

I couldn't care less either way, but this situation is ridiculously absurd.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 am

Pitt has not right to get on their high horse in this case. The administration has a pretty terrible track record in terms of having their **** together....and they're going to snub their nose at this kid?

Let him back.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,576
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 am

pfim wrote:I couldn't care less either way, but this situation is ridiculously absurd pitt.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,777
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 am

Im actually surprised more of this kind fo stuff doesn't happen in CFB.

I predicted Shell wouldn't last at UCLA, but I didn't think he'd bail so quickly.

Talented kid, struggling to find the right path through life.

I hope where ever he lands, he matures quickly. It would be a real waste of his talent if he ends up being another Brian Davis.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am

Kovy27 wrote:They'll let him back, but I think they need to suspend him for the year....make him get his crap together.


Is Pitt really in a position to be so choosey?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,377
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am

He'll end up at Cal U.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,543
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am

columbia wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:They'll let him back, but I think they need to suspend him for the year....make him get his crap together.


Is Pitt really in a position to be so choosey?


Yes, in this instance.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am

I really don't know what Pitt will do with Shell.

Part of me thinks they will take him back. Chryst is a guy who wants the best for his kids both on and off the field, so I can see him giving Shell another shot. When Shell left, PC didn't seem bitter about it and wanted Shell to do what was best for him and his family. Shell obviously now realizes that it is best to be close to home, and I can see PC giving him a second opportunity here.

On the other hand, PC has run a very tight ship since arriving here. When Shell left, there were rumors that he left because of family issues, because of failed drug tests (rumor was that he was going to be suspended anyway for failing another test), and because his teammates and coaches were on him about his work ethic (coming to spring ball out of shape). If t the drug thing and the work ethic thing were heavy factors in his transfer, I dont see him coming back. It would contradict everything that PC has said since arriving at Pitt.

If it was strictly family business, he get's another chance.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,436
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 am

From some of the media folks who are close to the team, talk is that Shell never had any significant problems with teammates or coaches. In fact, Chris Peak and some others have said his relationship with the coaches was good. There were questions of his dedication to conditioning and his work ethic during practices, which is a carryover from some issues he had in high school. There doesn't seem to be an overwhelming sentiment that his handling of his situation turned teammates/coaches against him. I'm sure there are some on the roster who have issue with him, but on any team you're going to have teammates who don't like each other.

No one outside of the coaches and Shell himself really know all of the circumstances. Who knows? Maybe he realized UCLA wasn't a "grass is greener" thing, and that he wasn't going to be able to do his own thing and he had a better situation here. Or maybe it was a slap in the face and he grew up, realized his situation IS different, that he has a responsibility to his kids and that he was THISCLOSE to wasting an opportunity not just for him but for them. Or maybe he's just an immature flake who can't help himself.

LeSean McCoy was once said to be an egomaniacal headcase as well until he got hurt his senior year of high school. The injury combined with the recruiting calls drying up humbled him. He became one of the best ambassadors the Pitt program has had both on and off the field over the last 25 years. I'd hope someone at Pitt points that out to Shell. If the kid is genuinely interested in returning, genuinely interested in dedicating himself to the program and genuinely interested in taking care of himself off the field, this could turn out to be a great story for Shell, Chryst and the program.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,457
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 am

theres so much speculation with this shell stuff, and so much hearsay and projection, that its useless to come up with an opinion
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,777
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 am

What will happen:

Scenario 1:

Shell will ask to come back and Pitt will say yes.
Shell will then go trollface.jpeg and go somewhere else.

Scenario 2:

Shell will ask to come back and Pitt will say yes.
Shell will go on to be a cancer and/or suck.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,379
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Stoosh on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I really don't know what Pitt will do with Shell.

Part of me thinks they will take him back. Chryst is a guy who wants the best for his kids both on and off the field, so I can see him giving Shell another shot. When Shell left, PC didn't seem bitter about it and wanted Shell to do what was best for him and his family. Shell obviously now realizes that it is best to be close to home, and I can see PC giving him a second opportunity here.

On the other hand, PC has run a very tight ship since arriving here. When Shell left, there were rumors that he left because of family issues, because of failed drug tests (rumor was that he was going to be suspended anyway for failing another test), and because his teammates and coaches were on him about his work ethic (coming to spring ball out of shape). If t the drug thing and the work ethic thing were heavy factors in his transfer, I dont see him coming back. It would contradict everything that PC has said since arriving at Pitt.

If it was strictly family business, he get's another chance.


Your comments about PC running a tight ship are telling. You need to only look at the players he's recruited with the 2013 and 2014 classes to see that. It's very much the same blueprint that was used when he was at Wisconsin. Chryst was part of a coaching staff whose calling card was coaching kids up. The kids you'd see in Wisconsin's classes weren't as big on "star rankings" as other schools. Instead, they emphasized getting kids who had reputations for being high-energy, very "coachable" players with good football awareness and intelligence. Hand-in-hand with that approach is a big emphasis on character.

You see it with the classes he's recruiting. He's getting kids that want to be here and want to put in the work. I think if Shell demonstrates that he's willing to be that type of player, he'll be allowed back and Pitt will be better for it. If he's not willing to be that player and buy in like everyone else, Pitt's better off without him.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,457
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:05 am

I think they let Shell back in. He made a bad decision that after thinking it over didn't seem right. There is too much conjecture and things we don't know to label this kid as fans. Goodness, he is a young guy. Which one of us didn't make a bad decision this young? If the teammates and coaches take him back, fans should too.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,001
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 am

Rylan wrote:I think they let Shell back in. He made a bad decision that after thinking it over didn't seem right. There is too much conjecture and things we don't know to label this kid as fans. Goodness, he is a young guy. Which one of us didn't make a bad decision this young? If the teammates and coaches take him back, fans should too.


I don't really agree with the first part based on what we know. The last part, yes. I can't possibly know exactly what is happening and how it will affect the team. Chryst and the team do know this so whatever happens with him is fine with me.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am

Yeah I'm with PFIM. If his teammates and his coach want him back, and they feel it won't hurt the dynamic then by all means, they know the inner workings of the team more than any of us do.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,579
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Stoosh wrote:
LeSean McCoy was once said to be an egomaniacal headcase as well until he got hurt his senior year of high school. The injury combined with the recruiting calls drying up humbled him. He became one of the best ambassadors the Pitt program has had both on and off the field over the last 25 years. I'd hope someone at Pitt points that out to Shell. If the kid is genuinely interested in returning, genuinely interested in dedicating himself to the program and genuinely interested in taking care of himself off the field, this could turn out to be a great story for Shell, Chryst and the program.

You obviously don't follow him on Twitter / never heard of his very public baby momma twitter drama lol. He just performs, so no one cares. Same with Shell hopefully
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Seriously though... what's the outrage?

A 19 year old kid is swaying back and forth on a big decision in his life?

Okay....... And???
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ulf on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't see any outrage?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,455
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

IanMoran wrote:Seriously though... what's the outrage?

A 19 year old kid is swaying back and forth on a big decision in his life?

Okay....... And???


Well, he made the decision and is now backtracking. And given this, who would trust him to stay at Pitt for the next two years? Seems like a waste of time.

Sam Werner ‏@SWernerPG 46m

According to source, #Pitt never seriously entertained the option of Shell returning.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm

pfim wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Seriously though... what's the outrage?

A 19 year old kid is swaying back and forth on a big decision in his life?

Okay....... And???


Well, he made the decision and is now backtracking. And given this, who would trust him to stay at Pitt for the next two years? Seems like a waste of time.

Sam Werner ‏@SWernerPG 46m

According to source, #Pitt never seriously entertained the option of Shell returning.


If you were Chryst and you had the option of buying even another single year with Shell to get your next RB ready, wouldn't you take it?

I don't see where this is an "all or nothing" deal from that perspective.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:48 pm

ulf wrote:I don't see any outrage?

I just don't see how one would even debate "punishing" or not letting him on the team. I'm just surprised its even a conversation.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Does Werner's tweet mean Pitt never contemplated he would change his mind after he requested the transfer and so are now surprised he is interested in a return, or does it mean that Pitt has already made its decision and gave no consideration to him returning once they heard he was interested in coming back?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,243
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:55 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
If you were Chryst and you had the option of buying even another single year with Shell to get your next RB ready, wouldn't you take it?

I don't see where this is an "all or nothing" deal from that perspective.


Well, who is that guy? Isaac Bennett is as ready as he'll ever be.

You can't quit on your team, transfer to another school, and then beg to come back and expect to be welcomed with open arms. No matter how talented you are. Pitt doesn't need the drama, they have plenty.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

slappybrown wrote:Does Werner's tweet mean Pitt never contemplated he would change his mind after he requested the transfer and so are now surprised he is interested in a return, or does it mean that Pitt has already made its decision and gave no consideration to him returning once they heard he was interested in coming back?


Pitt won't accept him back.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,543
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, KennyTheKangaroo, ShaPe, stopper40 and 9 guests

e-mail