Seating ideas for backyard theater

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Seating ideas for backyard theater

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

My latest project is building an outdoor theater in my backyard. I have pretty much everything I needed, but I'm hitting a stumbling block when it comes to seating ideas. I know we could use camp chairs, but they'd get pretty uncomfortable after 3-4 hours. I was thinking some sort of beanbag chairs or mattresses would be a lot more comfortable and relaxing, but everything I've found so far is a few hundred bucks per seat, which is ridiculous. Anyone have a better idea?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Seating ideas for backyard theater

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 am

Hockeynut! wrote:Anyone have a better idea?

An indoor theater. :pop:

But seriously, I don't think comfort and outdoor theater really go together. Seems like a good place to just have beach towels in the grass. Beach chairs, pool deck chairs, the actual plastic chair, not a lounge chair...or a lounge chair.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 am

which projector are you using? and how are you doing sound?

http://www.avsforum.com/f/159/outdoor-theaters

http://www.backyardtheater.com/

AVS is my go to place for all home theater/game room ideas and questions. Backyard Theater is more centered around your questions.

If I ever do something like this I think I'll make an A frame hanging swing
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 am

ive been a member of BYT for years. i love that site.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

also, this would be my rec for outdoor seating for movie watching

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbrella-Indoor- ... B0017YQZL6
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 am

also, you could go the route of a couple of foutons and store the mattresses...to prevent rusting on the foutons, there is also the option of...

Spoiler:
no, i dont work them, but...

plastidip
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am

I'm planning to do this in my driveway, which luckily has a natural slope to avoid a riser. I did consider doing this on my street, which is a private dead end, and priced portable stage risers... ~$300 for a 96"x36" riser 16" off the ground. I tested one with a standard 'bag' chair and it worked fine.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby since1970 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am

pallets....you can use for a base and stack as needed, and you can get a buttload cheap....little sanding, painting, and you can make it mobile if you want with locking casters. I did the outdoor theater for a couple years with a humongous screen, but it got to be a pain, although I did watch the 2009 Cup final on a 20'x20' screen, after the sun went down of course
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for all of the ideas and links!

I have a Panasonic AX100U projector which I used to use in my home with a 100" screen. When I got a 65" plasma TV, I pretty much stopped using the projector because it wasn't "that" much of a difference compared to the TV. It's just been collecting dust since then and I thought this would be a good way to make use of it. I ordered a 16x9 screen to set up outdoors. I also have an old receiver and set of speakers that I'm going to use. Just need to get some speaker stands. :D
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby since1970 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 pm

if you're gonna use a 2 channel receiver just get an old end table, something with a bottom shelf.....receiver on bottom, projector on top, or other way, and speakers on either side of the projector/receiver...you don't have to have the speakers by the screen with 2 channel stereo. I used a couple of screws and hung mine on the side of the table, this way everything is in one neat package...
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Finished setting up the theatre and used it fr the first time last night. I'm impressed with how good of a job the projector did. I wasn't sure what to expect as I went with a 16x9 screen. Right now we're just using some old wood chairs for seating. I also only had 2 speakers working last night because I ran out of light when I was wiring them up. If the rain holds off, I'm going to try it again tonight with 3 front speakers. Not going to bother with surrounds unless we end up using it a lot.

Here's a pic during the day (need to add a few more ball bungees and all the speakers/equip is put away due to the sucky weather)

And a crappy cell phone pic of the screen last night.

Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR