2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm

slappybrown wrote:Does Werner's tweet mean Pitt never contemplated he would change his mind after he requested the transfer and so are now surprised he is interested in a return, or does it mean that Pitt has already made its decision and gave no consideration to him returning once they heard he was interested in coming back?

This was his first tweet, so your second comment.

Sam Werner ‏@SWernerPG 1h

Former running back Rushel Shell will not be returning to #Pitt, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ource-says

From ESPN.. Not allowing him to come back

I disagree, but o well
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I agree with the decision 100% and its very much in line with how Chryst has run the program to this point. Kid has done a helluva job burning bridges in his young career.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm

So, if Pitt won't take him back. That means that they can't dictate where he goes anymore right? He could wind up at an ACC school now for instance.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 pm

I don't think so. Pitt granted his transfer request subject to certain conditions -- ie, that he not transfer to XYZ. I don't know that refusing to let him back to Pitt would somehow alter those terms if they have moved on.

His options, assuming he changed his mind due to his family situation:

Drop down a level and play right away at Duquesne or a similar school
Try to convince OSU or PSU to take him (doubtful)
Try to convince Pitt to waive its prohibition on his going to WVU (not to re-hash that, but did we determine WVU was on the list?)
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 pm

He should go to Robert Morris or U of Buffalo...something like that.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm happy to see Pitt telling a talented RB to take a hike. They'll still beat VT regardless but it gives me hope.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 pm

I mean I get saying no but.. he's damn good. This is dumb, in my opinion.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:33 pm

If his teammates and his coach didn't want him back I support that 100%. Guy burned alot of bridges and it sounds like those in the coaching staff and in the locker room didn't feel they could trust him. Can't say I blame them.

One person does not need to be bigger than the program. I like how Chryst runs his ship.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:34 am

I'm glad he told him "no".

No player is bigger than the entire program.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:45 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:So, if Pitt won't take him back. That means that they can't dictate where he goes anymore right? He could wind up at an ACC school now for instance.

I don't think so, he never enrolled at UCLA or took part in any practices. Certainly, that would be an easy way for any player to game the system.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 am

pfim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:So, if Pitt won't take him back. That means that they can't dictate where he goes anymore right? He could wind up at an ACC school now for instance.

I don't think so, he never enrolled at UCLA or took part in any practices. Certainly, that would be an easy way for any player to game the system.

But the school (Pitt) took it out of the players hands. As long as he was welcome to play at Pitt, I can see the school having a say, but once the school closes the door on him there, the player should be free to go ANYWHERE.

JMHO
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 am

I have to agree with EPP on that: If Pitt doesn't want Shell back, at least let him go wherever he wants to.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:34 am

He has all the talent in the world, but will his immaturity ultimately destroy his career? I say let him him go wherever he wants, this is a guy that could be an NFL #1, or end up being top ten in the "what if'" discussions.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:

But the school (Pitt) took it out of the players hands. As long as he was welcome to play at Pitt, I can see the school having a say, but once the school closes the door on him there, the player should be free to go ANYWHERE.

JMHO

Ok, so if Shell wants to go to ASU and Pitt blocks him from doing so, all he needs to do is say he's going to UCLA and then backtrack? You don't see the issue with that as it relates to the current system of transfers?

The transfer system is ridiculous, but as it stands right now that can't happen.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 am

pfim wrote:Ok, so if Shell wants to go to ASU and Pitt blocks him from doing so, all he needs to do is say he's going to UCLA and then backtrack?

No.. it wouldn't work for the player if the School takes the player back. He'd be back at Pitt.

I do get the delemna for the NCAA, but I think allowing a school to tell a player where he can play, when *that* school doesn't want him, is a bit nuts as well.

He's not getting anything from Pitt anymore, nor is there any chance he will now, so Pitt should have NO say, in where he goes.

Again, JMHO
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:09 am

I don't think it's realistic for a school to take back a player two months after he has quit, already decided to transfer, named his destination, and then handed in his transfer request papers. So in practice, I don't think what you suggest is anything more than gaming the system.

The rules are ridiculously broken, but that is a separate conversation.

And Pitt has never stopped Shell from going anywhere (except for the Pitt football team now). He'd have to pay his way for one year, which is probably unpalatable, but it's not exactly the barrier that everyone makes it out to be.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 am

Seems like an easy way out of the restricted travel services deal.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am

ulf wrote:Seems like an easy way out of the restricted travel services deal.

Well... I think the restricted thing is way out of hand anyway.

These guys aren't indentured servants, they're student-atheletes.

The school gave him a scholarship for 2011-2012, he played for them in the fall of 2011. Done.

Why ANY school should be able to dictate where a kid goes after that is beyond me...

As pfim mentioned, it's realy only an issue for the kids "without means" anyway.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:24 am

It's not an issue for any kid. I financed my education myself for 4 years, he can do it for one if he really wants to be somewhere.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
ulf wrote:Seems like an easy way out of the restricted travel services deal.

Well... I think the restricted thing is way out of hand anyway.

These guys aren't indentured servants, they're student-atheletes.

The school gave him a scholarship for 2011-2012, he played for them in the fall of 2011. Done.

Why ANY school should be able to dictate where a kid goes after that is beyond me...

As pfim mentioned, it's realy only an issue for the kids "without means" anyway.

Because they counted on him to be a part of their team, and used a scholarship on him that could have went to someone else. Plus as you mention, they're not stopping him from going anywhere. He can work and save up some money if he wishes to go anywhere he wants.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 am

Also I'm hoping he ends up at akron with chandler kincade. We need all the help we can get.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:52 pm

No issues whatsoever with Chryst's decision regarding Shell. One of the former contributors to the PittBlather blog who had regular access to the team last year posted in some of the recent threads that, in so many words, the kid has been a ******* since the day he set foot on campus. This apparently was not a situation of a player angling for a second or even third chance; Shell was pretty much on chance #5 or #6. A lot came to a head with him and the program (coaches and teammates) during the spring, and that was that.

As far as Shell goes, I have a hard time having any sympathy for him as a "kid". Yes, 19-year olds make mistakes. We all did when we were that age. But there are plenty of "kids" his age who are mature enough to make much tougher life decisions - enlisting in the military, for example. Even within the context of "kids" gifted enough to find opportunities within Division I collegiate sports, he could learn a thing or five from new Steelers safety Shamarko Thomas, who ironically started opposite Shell just this past fall.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-draft-pick-shamarko-thomas-fulfilling-goal-as-the-chosen-one-692919/

As I said earlier in this thread, maybe Shell gets it together and if he does, good for him. Maybe he doesn't, and that would be a shame not for him, but for the two kids for whom he's responsible.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:52 am

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9425686/oregon-ducks-football-sanctions-expose-ncaa-enforcement-shortcomings

It's awesome that criminal incidents that are outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA are punished 1000x more severely than actual NCAA violations that give a team a significant competitive advantage on the field. Long live Emmert.

After a 27-month investigation into alleged recruiting rules violations committed during Kelly's successful tenure at Oregon, the NCAA infractions committee did nothing more than slap the Ducks on the wrist, placing them on three years' probation and taking away a total of three scholarships.

So much for NCAA president Mark Emmert's promise that college sport's governing body would get tougher with rule breakers.

It's clear the NCAA's enforcement division is now working with both arms tied behind its back. At a time when the NCAA's investigative tactics have been questioned because of its unscrupulous methods in the Miami case, and as some of its most seasoned and effective investigators have jumped ship, the NCAA failed to deliver a message to rule breakers Wednesday.

For the past few years, NCAA officials have promised to clean up the recruiting world and eliminate the influence of shady third parties like Willie Lyles, a middleman from Texas who helped steer former star running back LaMichael James and current Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk to Oregon. Presented with the chance to do it Wednesday, the NCAA balked.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 am

the NCAA likes their shady dealings to be more forthright like nike and under armor. this behind closed doors, we didnt get a piece of the pie-type of shady activity is not to be tolerated.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR