Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am

let me know what you think about it...id like to hear a non-reddit opinion on it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm

canaan wrote:let me know what you think about it...id like to hear a non-reddit opinion on it.

what opinion are they of?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:44 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
canaan wrote:let me know what you think about it...id like to hear a non-reddit opinion on it.

what opinion are they of?

Most opinions I have seen are not very favorable.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Playing State of Decay on the Xbox. Well worth $20.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Why can't a man play final fantasy X-2 without his fiance laughing at him? And, anyone know a good dress sphere combo for chapter 6?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Skyrim crashed AGAIN. JFC... this is ridiculous. Kind of hard to get into a game when it crashes after 15 minutes.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 pm

I am having a ton of fun playing Dishonored (PC version). IMO, the game is very similar to the most recent Deus Ex game. Incorporates a lot of stealth, exploring lets you find out much more about the story, and also rewards you as well. In my first playthrough, I am taking the stealth/non lethal approach.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:36 pm

I started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution. So far, it's really good. Early dialog felt a little cheesy, but it quickly got better and I'm totally into the story now. Detention camps, wow. Talk about a possible future. I can't wait to find out what's next.

The first one was clearly better. The mechanics even felt better. But this is good.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:26 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I am having a ton of fun playing Dishonored (PC version). IMO, the game is very similar to the most recent Deus Ex game. Incorporates a lot of stealth, exploring lets you find out much more about the story, and also rewards you as well. In my first playthrough, I am taking the stealth/non lethal approach.

Did you also notice that everyone has GIANT hands? It's bugging the crap out of me.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:30 am

Also, has anyone played The Last of Us yet? It's getting rave reviews and I'm a fan of the Uncharted series, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $60 for it or wait until the price goes down.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Samsdog wrote:Also, has anyone played The Last of Us yet? It's getting rave reviews and I'm a fan of the Uncharted series, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $60 for it or wait until the price goes down.

Yes, and it's awesome. Worth 60$.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:Also, has anyone played The Last of Us yet? It's getting rave reviews and I'm a fan of the Uncharted series, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $60 for it or wait until the price goes down.

Full disclosure, I'm also currently studying for the bar exam and have a fear of getting sucked into it to the detriment of my studying. It's factoring into the decision.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:59 pm

I've read of people losing 8+ hours to the game without realizing it... so if you have something important... might want to wait.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:03 pm

i walked over to target and apparently they only sell ouya online. boo :(
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Samsdog wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

Full disclosure, I'm also currently studying for the bar exam and have a fear of getting sucked into it to the detriment of my studying. It's factoring into the decision.

I only watched gameplay videos of it, and I was sucked into it. Excellent, excellent story. Very cinematic, and evidently there's a multiplayer feature.

I'm not sure if it's worth $60 for you yet, but maybe as a treat for post-Bar exam. ;) (and good luck with that).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm

So it looks like if I play Skyrim in Windowed mode, I don't have the same issues... but that's also annoying because I'd rather play full f'n screen.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:09 pm

I didn't notice this until my second playthrough of the Last of Us.

Why the hell is there an ocean outside of Pittsburgh????
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 am

Ever since killing the first dragon in Skyrim, I've been exploring/questing instead of following the main quest. I'm sure I'll get back to that... some time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:00 am

First, I finished up Bioshock: Infinite. Great game. The gameplay itself perhaps isn't all that revolutionary (although the whole skyline idea is neat), but the story and characters are what pushes the game over the top. One of the best games of recent years, and every bit as good as the original Bioshock if not better. This game is a must-play.

Then I played a game called Analogue: A Hate Story. It's a mostly text-based game in the style of a Japanese visual novel game. It only takes a few hours to play through (I'm a speed reader), and offers a not particularly interesting or compelling story. I don't think I recommend it.

Now I'm bouncing back and forth between playing Orcs Must Die and a comedy point-and-click adventure game called Deponia. OMD is a tower-defense game where you defend magic portals from waves of various nasty orcs. It's hook compared to other tower-defense games is that in addition to placing your traps and snares, your character (in the third person) is also directly involved in the fight using a variety of weapons and magic. It's good, mindless, gory fun. I havn't played much of Deponia yet.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:02 am

the wicked child wrote:Ever since killing the first dragon in Skyrim, I've been exploring/questing instead of following the main quest. I'm sure I'll get back to that... some time.

One of the nice things about Bethesda games is the ability to tell the main plot "Nope!" and spend dozens of hours doing everything else in the game.

I'm sorry to hear about the technical problems. Skyrim was stable for me, but then again I put together a brand-new gaming computer just to play it when it came out.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:23 am

My system should be more than able to handle the game... I have double most of their recommended settings.

From what I can tell, this is not an uncommon problem and no one really has any answers.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm in China now in Deus Ex HR. This is one confusing city layout.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 am

Just finished Dishonored. Overall, I really enjoyed the game a lot. As I stated before, it's very similar to Deus Ex (especially the second one) in terms of the stealth aspects, and discovering more about the story as you progress by exploring.

I decided to do the (more difficult) stealth playthrough, using subterfuge rather than brute force.

Spoiler:
My only major beef is that being betrayed by the loyalists was really predictable, IMO. As was the abrupt path towards the end of the story after that.

^Minor beef though. Great game, looking forward to the DLC and sequels.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 am

the wicked child wrote:My system should be more than able to handle the game... I have double most of their recommended settings.

From what I can tell, this is not an uncommon problem and no one really has any answers.

:pop: PC gaming is so much better than console gaming.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 am

Hey now, PS3 owners: BF3 is one of the free games of the month if you're a Playstation Plus subscriber.

Also, in sad Wii related news, a recent thunderstorm killed our Wii. Since it was long out of warranty, we had to pay $81 to have it repaired. There was some discussion about upgrading to a Wii U, but with the kids getting older, I think we'll hold out for a PS4 (eventually) and get the Wii repaired.

Anyone have any experience with Nintendo repair services?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR