Restaurant Recommendations?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Restaurant Recommendations?

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:59 pm

columbia wrote:2 pounds?

I'm guessing, but, yeah, it was gigantic. Fresh tortilla and a very tight wrap were big pluses.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:06 pm

You want the best 2 pound burrito? Come down to Harrisburg and get a Cowboy Crunch at Neato Burrito. Literally the best thing you will ever eat in your life.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:34 pm

I don't think a burrito will ever literally be the best thing I've ever eaten
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Eismann wrote:
Eismann wrote:I'm going to try Noodlehead in Shadyside tonight for dinner. The level 5 intrigues me.

It was pretty good. Nothing special. Had the Street Noodle #1, which was rice noodles, fried chicken, bok choy and such. Got it at the level 5, but it was disappointing. Tasty, yes, but 'crazy hot' no. Still, place was pretty cool, sat at the small bar, food served pretty quickly, did have a Boylan's creme soda. Afterward, went next door to Oh Yeah for a waffle cone of green tea ice cream with extra honey on top. Very good.

I'm going tonight. All the reviews I've read said this place makes everything above "1" ridiculously hot but that is so subjective. I'll use half a bottle of Choulula at Qdoba. I'm thinking I'll try 3, I dont know.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nuge on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Wings Suds and Spuds. I've heard mixed reviews. Thoughts?
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm

:-?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Been there a few times for lunch since it's right up the road from my office. Wings always seem like they're properly cooked: crunchy on the outside, still tender on the inside. If I remember correctly, they don't have a ton of flavors, but I'd rather have wings cooked correctly than have some insane flavor that nobody else has on their menu.

I'd give them a solid B+.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Nuge wrote:Wings Suds and Spuds. I've heard mixed reviews. Thoughts?

I've been there a couple times... always enjoyed myself.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 am

Maybe it's been brought up in this thread, but I wish Denny's Beer Barrel Pub was closer to Pittsburgh. It's about a 2.5 hour drive out in Clearfield,PA. Their menu is enormous, and they have just about the best burgers and onion rings I've ever had.
With my new job I stay out in clearfield once a month, and I eat there every time. Tonight will be my once a month fix.

http://dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 am

Is this the Denny's that had the topless servers?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:59 am

No topless servers, not part of the Dennys diner chain.
They do have 2,3,6,15 pound and higher challenge cheeseburgers.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Is there any other reason to go to Clearfield besides that place? After looking at that menu, it really makes me want to find a reason to go there.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:12 pm

the roaring west branch of the susquehanna river?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Nope. It's a yearly stop for the VLB clan on our way to Knoebels.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 pm

The wife and I recently went to the new restaurant opened by Reyna Foods in the Strip (its in the basement of the grocery store). The restaurant is beautiful, but overall it was underwhelming. The food was pretty good, but pricey (I've never before had to pay for chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant) and not very authentic (my wife is from Mexico and was largely disappointed) and the service was definitely a work in progress.

Las Palmas on Brookline Blvd. is EASILY the best Mexican food we've had in the area. Their taco stand outside the store is absolute amazing. Chicken, ground beef, carne asada, carnitas, barbacoa, lengua, al pastor. All fantastic. Two bucks for a piled high two-tortilla taco. All kinds of sauces and toppings available. Certainly beats the hell out of $9 for 4 mini tacos as an appetizer at Reyna Foods. I could stand there and eat all day long.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:The wife and I recently went to the new restaurant opened by Reyna Foods in the Strip (its in the basement of the grocery store). The restaurant is beautiful, but overall it was underwhelming. The food was pretty good, but pricey (I've never before had to pay for chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant) and not very authentic (my wife is from Mexico and was largely disappointed) and the service was definitely a work in progress.

Las Palmas on Brookline Blvd. is EASILY the best Mexican food we've had in the area. Their taco stand outside the store is absolute amazing. Chicken, ground beef, carne asada, carnitas, barbacoa, lengua, al pastor. All fantastic. Two bucks for a piled high two-tortilla taco. All kinds of sauces and toppings available. Certainly beats the hell out of $9 for 4 mini tacos as an appetizer at Reyna Foods. I could stand there and eat all day long.

:thumb:

The only thing i regret about not living in brookline anymore.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

viva la ben wrote:Maybe it's been brought up in this thread, but I wish Denny's Beer Barrel Pub was closer to Pittsburgh. It's about a 2.5 hour drive out in Clearfield,PA. Their menu is enormous, and they have just about the best burgers and onion rings I've ever had.
With my new job I stay out in clearfield once a month, and I eat there every time. Tonight will be my once a month fix.

http://dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

great place. While your up there, you'll have to check out the clearfield fair when it comes to down. Always a great time, it's a pretty big deal. I believe they have Lynyrd Skynrd coming this year. Also popular up round those parts: Rattlesnake roundup and cow patty bingo.

Also if you willing to make the trip, about 30 minutes west is the Thunderbird Restaurant (Reynoldsville, PA outside Dubois). Some of the best Prime Rib you will ever have.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:The wife and I recently went to the new restaurant opened by Reyna Foods in the Strip (its in the basement of the grocery store). The restaurant is beautiful, but overall it was underwhelming. The food was pretty good, but pricey (I've never before had to pay for chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant) and not very authentic (my wife is from Mexico and was largely disappointed) and the service was definitely a work in progress.

So is there any city neighborhood that meets with Troy Loney's approval?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

............Las Palmas just opened amother location on Beechview Ave where Beechview Ave turns into Broadway Ave, and there's a parking lot right across the street....
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Squirrel Hill, Regent Square and Highland Park.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

lol
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I figured Troy for a Greenfield type of guy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 pm

are there any legit places to drink a beer in squirrel hill?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 pm

silkys :?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Almost ate there over the weekend but didn't know what they had on the menu and didn't want to go down there without a plan.

I usually stop in their store for shells, the guarana soda that I can't find anywhere else (even if it is a bit overpriced at 6.75 a sixer), and for hot sawse or spices.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR