2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 am

Is that a veiled complaint about the PSU penalties?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

Troy Loney wrote:Is that a veiled complaint about the PSU penalties?

More just pointing out yet another example of how little credibility the NCAA has (as if anyone needed to be reminded). Their main focus should be to maintain competitive fairness. In the PSU case, they overstepped their boundaries and dismembered the program over a criminal matter, albeit hideous and horrific, that was outside their jurisdiction. In other cases, where the violations actually have a direct impact on the on-field competiition (in other words, right in their jurisdictional wheelhouse), they dish out meaningless slaps on the wrist.

I have much less of a problem with the PSU punishment if there was any type of consistency from Emmert and staff.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:10 am

The fine--the bowl ban--whatever. But the scholarship reduction makes my blood boils for some reason. There was no need for it. Taking away many potential educations from PSU, a school that actually graduates most of its athletes, is just asinine.

Luckily, O'Brien is recruiting much better now than Joe did, and it will only get easier from here.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:26 am

O'Brien has done an amazing, amazing job recruiting given the circumstances (this is coming from a long time Penn State hater).

I would imagine Penn State is going to have to pull out the checkbook quite often (ala Pitt and Jamie Dixon) to keep him. With his ties to the pro game, and what he has done at Penn State, one would think the NFL will be calling every off-season.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:29 am

Anyone see the Shell / Madden twitter fight yesterday? That was highly entertaining.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Anyone see the Shell / Madden twitter fight yesterday? That was highly entertaining.

Extremely entertaining.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:32 pm

I found it more depressing than entertaining.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm

slappybrown wrote:I found it more depressing than entertaining.

X1000.

Madden tweets like an imbecile. I mean come on, you MUST have better things to do with your life than stoop so low...

Also, out of left field--does Pitt plan on going back to those throwback blue&yellow jerseys? Those are beautiful.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:05 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I found it more depressing than entertaining.

X1000.

Madden tweets like an imbecile. I mean come on, you MUST have better things to do with your life than stoop so low...

Also, out of left field--does Pitt plan on going back to those throwback blue&yellow jerseys? Those are beautiful.

There's long been a movement within segments of the fanbase to go back to the script "PITT" and the old colors, but Stevie P has never really seemed interested in doing it. For what it's worth, Pitt does make a bunch of merchandise available in the Script and old colors, so if they continue doing it, there's really no reason to switch full-time because they're raking in revenue from sales of both the throwbacks and the current scheme.

I WOULD like to see a game or two in the throwbacks, or some modernized version of it. I'm surprised Nike hasn't already tried to do something along those lines, unless they have and the school shot it down.

I actually kind of like the way the current scheme looks, especially in football. Big improvement over the stuff Adidas did.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 am

Chancellor Nordenberg announced his retirement from Pitt today. If it wasn't for him there would be no Petersen Center, ACC bid, or realization that athletics are a quality part of a students experience while in school and are also important to alumni. I don't think Posvar understood that.

I would like to see a 50000 seat on campus/in oakland bandbox stadium but that's not happening.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

jimjom wrote:Chancellor Nordenberg announced his retirement from Pitt today. If it wasn't for him there would be no Petersen Center, ACC bid, or realization that athletics are a quality part of a students experience while in school and are also important to alumni. I don't think Posvar understood that.

I would like to see a 50000 seat on campus/in oakland bandbox stadium but that's not happening.

He also helped murder the Big East. Not sure if that is good or bad.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Rocco wrote:
jimjom wrote:Chancellor Nordenberg announced his retirement from Pitt today. If it wasn't for him there would be no Petersen Center, ACC bid, or realization that athletics are a quality part of a students experience while in school and are also important to alumni. I don't think Posvar understood that.

His job wasn't to protect the Big East, it was to secure Pitt's future.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Rocco wrote:

Point? **** the Big East.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Point? **** the Big East.

You guys have done so well with your re-education. I'm impressed. Now remember not to put your elbows on the table. ACC folks are classy. And use the salad fork too, the Duke folks get annoyed when people just use the regular fork for everything.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:18 am

**** the Big East.

**** Dookie.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:35 am

the wicked child wrote:**** the Big East.

**** Dookie.

This. Hahaha.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:12 am

Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am

Finally in the ACC!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 am

BOY THOSE PITT-SOUF FLORIDA GAMES ARE GOING TO BE REALLY TOUGH TO SAY GOODBYE TO
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 am

going to personally miss those epic Pitt-Rutgers battles.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 am

You'll still be able to look forward to wake forest and duke. Perennial national championship contenders.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:02 am

whatever, the duke/wake forest games are going to make for great road trips. much moreso than the memphis/cinci/ucf/any other crap faux big east team.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:You'll still be able to look forward to wake forest and duke. Perennial national championship contenders.

I suppose WVU's trips to Lawrence, Kansas and Ames, Iowa to see mighty football powers KU and ISU are more impressive.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:27 am

I have now have alumni conference rivalries with my father, for both the ACC and the UAA.
Unfortunately, he usually changes the subject when it comes to college sports.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:You'll still be able to look forward to wake forest and duke. Perennial national championship contenders.

I suppose WVU's trips to Lawrence, Kansas and Ames, Iowa to see mighty football powers KU and ISU are more impressive.

Who mentioned the Big 12?

I'm just pointing out that it's more than a bit disingenuous to be taking swipes at the Big East for programs like Rutgers and USF when the ACC has even weaker programs at the lower end.

However, if you want to start a ACC v. Big 12 discussion, I'll be your huckleberry.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR