Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Gaucho wrote:Paula Deen being racist is up for debate?

Sure... you start. Make your case.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 pm

We need to figure out if water is wet first.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Paula Deen being racist is up for debate?

"but more importantly..."

Read it all Gaucho.

Besides I said discussion, not debate. But nice try anyway...

Blivitz glimplz vlfuviurs palim palim.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:39 am

The whole case brought against Deen is a shakedown. The girl who is suing for 1.2 some million dollars for discrimination was hired by Deen to run one of her restaurants. Her lawyer sent Deen a letter asking for a 1.2 million dollar settlement, and weeks before that had sent a letter thanking Deen. In her desposition - she said she never witnessed Deen saying anything racists or discriminating against any employee in any way.

This whole case is a shakedown, the real point was to attack Deen through her sponsors and get them to drop her - which worked. Reminds me of what a weekend business radio host says - If you are successful - you will get sued. It's not a matter of if, but when.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 pm

malkinshair wrote:The use of language is a very powerful thing, but not as powerful as the suppression of language...even offensive language.

:thumb: This. I am also disturbed by what I see as the… mindlessness of the response to what she said. It’s like people have been programmed to automatically move to actively destroy anyone who merely admits to saying ******, regardless of context. Good lord, she said a word and she’s being treated like she molested children or something like that. In fact, in comparison to someone like Roman Polanski—who statutorily raped a 13-year-old—Deen is arguably being treated worse than a child molester.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 pm

obhave wrote:To use racial or homophobic slurs directed at an individual, means you probably do have some prejudices or cultural biases from a certain community that you have to work through. But that's just my opinion. I think most people in this thread would say they are an ally to the black community (yes, that is a thing to be). Where you want to make sure that everyone has equal rights, isn't treated poorly based on race, etc. even if you may have different ideas as to how governments should be involved. It has become apparent that most of you have also used the n-word, or think you would at some point if angry at an individual. However, it doesn't change the fact that you want to be an ally to the community. It just means you have to recognize that using such language could be a problem for the community and you yourself might have some prejudices to work through to be a better ally.

Say I don’t want to be an ally to the community. Let’s say I don’t like, for example, Belgians or something like that. I decide that I’m a better person than someone who would actively attempt to harm Belgians, so I’ll just grit my teeth and tolerate those waffle-eaters as best I can (tolerate in this sense meaning “put up with,” and not in any sense “embrace”). I won’t do anything to hinder Belgians, but I’m not going to ever like them or view them favorably. Would that be something I’d need to “work through,” or is my do-no-harm attitude sufficient? Should I be reeducated until I come around to wanting to be an “ally” to the Belgian community?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Shyster wrote:
malkinshair wrote:The use of language is a very powerful thing, but not as powerful as the suppression of language...even offensive language.

:thumb: This. I am also disturbed by what I see as the… mindlessness of the response to what she said. It’s like people have been programmed to automatically move to actively destroy anyone who merely admits to saying ******, regardless of context. Good lord, she said a word and she’s being treated like she molested children or something like that. In fact, in comparison to someone like Roman Polanski—who statutorily raped a 13-year-old—Deen is arguably being treated worse than a child molester.

at the present, people here are madder at kris letang than roman polanski, so i'm not sure what that has to do with anything. if he was a culturally relevant figure in america who was just discovered to have nailed a 13 year old, i think he'd be getting more grief than paula dean right now. maybe i'm being naive.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Shyster wrote:

I guess we're seeing different things. Yes, many people have expressed a negative oopinion about her in print and on tv. There have also been a couple business decisions that hurt her immediate career. However, a Support Paula Facebook page has also popped up with over 400000 "likes," various big shots have publicly supported her, and they've had to add more cruises to accommodate an increase in demand of her Party at Sea cruises.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

I agree that people are getting too worked up over her admittance to have uttered that word. It's not like any more proof was needed that she is a racist. That really is not up for debate.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 pm

MWB wrote:I guess we're seeing different things. Yes, many people have expressed a negative oopinion about her in print and on tv. There have also been a couple business decisions that hurt her immediate career. However, a Support Paula Facebook page has also popped up with over 400000 "likes," various big shots have publicly supported her, and they've had to add more cruises to accommodate an increase in demand of her Party at Sea cruises.

But on the other hand, she has been dropped as a spokesperson or her merchandise will no longer be carried by:
Smithfield
Wal-Mart
Target
J.C. Penney
Sears
Caesars Entertainment
Novo Nordisk
Home Depot
Walgreens

In addition, Ballantine Books, the publisher of Deen’s (formerly) upcoming book Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Recipes: All Lightened Up has announced it will not publish the book even though it was #1 on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble in terms of pre-orders.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:I agree that people are getting too worked up over her admittance to have uttered that word. It's not like any more proof was needed that she is a racist. That really is not up for debate.

How does one go about being 'is' to a 'was once'? Is that covered in any Forgive Thy Neighbor classes?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

I thought you were in favor of the free market handling this?
It sure seems to be.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Shyster wrote:
MWB wrote:I guess we're seeing different things. Yes, many people have expressed a negative oopinion about her in print and on tv. There have also been a couple business decisions that hurt her immediate career. However, a Support Paula Facebook page has also popped up with over 400000 "likes," various big shots have publicly supported her, and they've had to add more cruises to accommodate an increase in demand of her Party at Sea cruises.

But on the other hand, she has been dropped as a spokesperson or her merchandise will no longer be carried by:
Smithfield
Wal-Mart
Target
J.C. Penney
Sears
Caesars Entertainment
Novo Nordisk
Home Depot
Walgreens

In addition, Ballantine Books, the publisher of Deen’s (formerly) upcoming book Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Recipes: All Lightened Up has announced it will not publish the book even though it was #1 on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble in terms of pre-orders.

More than I realized, but those would be business decisions. Goes back to what I posted yesterday. Those businesses react based on how they think their customers want them to. Deen isn't being treated badly, the market is doing what is best for business. If they turn out to have misjudged their customers, she'll be right back.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:14 pm

this is a little like the bill maher thing. who are you complaining about? you can't just abstractly say she shouldn't lose her job. who is the problem? the businesses for focusing on their profitability? the general public for giving off the impression that not firing her would damage their brand?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

columbia wrote:I thought you were in favor of the free market handling this?
It sure seems to be.

I do, and all of the penalties being suffered by Ms. Deen are market-driven. No government anywhere is involved. This (in my view) hypersensitivity just doesn’t sit right with me.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Gaucho wrote:I agree that people are getting too worked up over her admittance to have uttered that word. It's not like any more proof was needed that she is a racist. That really is not up for debate.

http://blogs.ajc.com/the-buzz/2009/11/20/tyler-perry-paula-deen-donate-to-atlanta-charities/

I can find numerous other articles. It's a proven fact that Paula Deen's charitable ventures since she has become successful have DIRECTLY led to the benefit of thousands of African-Americans, mostly living in urban areas like Atlanta in the South.

The fact of the matter is, Paula Deen has likely done FAR more to help the living situation of black Americans living in that part of the country than 99.99999% of the people that are crucifying her as a racist. This isn't even to criticize the Food Network dropping her, but I find it interesting that people are convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that Deen is the "R-word".

Of course, the natural answer is that she only helps out black Americans to cover up her own hatred of them, or that she is putting Agent Orange in all of their food to slowly kill them off.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm

If the market is good at anything, it's mob rule.
It just happens to not meeting your wants, for this issue.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/david-horowitz-and-john-perazzo/the-progressive-lynch-mob-claims-another-victim/

Deen has performed charity work on behalf of poor people and minorities across the United States. She has donated massive quantities of food, money, and time to Second Harvest, an organization that distributes grocery products to the poor. She has given large donations to, and held fundraisers for, Blessings in a Backpack—a program that feeds elementary-school children from low-income families. This year she created the Bag Lady Foundation to help women and children in financial need. In each of these cases, a substantial percentage of the beneficiaries of Deen’s generosity have been African Americans. But thanks to a malicious law-suit, Deen’s irrepressible candor, and a nation-wide vilification campaign conducted by a civil rights lynch mob, she has been tarred and feathered as a “racist.”

Oh yeah, and didn't Deen campaign and raise money for Barack Obama, the first black president of the United States? She is clearly racist.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

http://blogs.ajc.com/the-buzz/2009/11/20/tyler-perry-paula-deen-donate-to-atlanta-charities/

I can find numerous other articles. It's a proven fact that Paula Deen's charitable ventures since she has become successful have DIRECTLY led to the benefit of thousands of African-Americans, mostly living in urban areas like Atlanta in the South.

The fact of the matter is, Paula Deen has likely done FAR more to help the living situation of black Americans living in that part of the country than 99.99999% of the people that are crucifying her as a racist. This isn't even to criticize the Food Network dropping her, but I find it interesting that people are convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that Deen is the "R-word".

Of course, the natural answer is that she only helps out black Americans to cover up her own hatred of them, or that she is putting Agent Orange in all of their food to slowly kill them off.

Good for her. I didn't say she hates blacks. I know that some plantation owners treated their black slaves real nice. It's about equality, not charity.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Gaucho wrote:I know that some plantation owners treated their black slaves real nice.

LOL

So now we are comparing Deen to slave owners in the Antebellum South.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:36 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I know that some plantation owners treated their black slaves real nice.

LOL

So now we are comparing Deen to slave owners in the Antebellum South.

No ...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 pm

What is more symbolic of black equality than campaigning for a black man for president? Not sure even Arthur Shelby would have done that :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm

http://www.psmag.com/culture/what-feeds-racism-paula-deen-southern-living-61619/

Paula Deen is or was a racist. That much is clear. She’s just a racist who happens to not also be a mean-spirit or vindictive person.
Last edited by Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm

didn't she compare herself to slave owners? i mean, isn't that LITERALLY what this is all about?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:http://www.psmag.com/culture/what-feeds-racism-paula-deen-southern-living-61619/

Paula Deen is or was a racist. That much is clear. She’s just a racist who happens to not also be a mean-spirit or vindictive person.

Why are you trying so hard to drive this narrative? Saying she is a racist doesn't prove anything.

Racism exists... but if Paula Deen represents racism in America, then you have the completely wrong opinion about racism.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR