Draft Day thread 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby Factorial on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:31 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Holy lack of size!


When I was 18 I was 6'1" and weighed a meager 160 pounds, but grew into a 210 pound geezer which means there is still plenty of hope for Jake. :pop:


Are you at your "playing weight" (210) now? At 6'1" that's pretty impressive for someone, ummm, ahhh, well, as mature as you are. :)

I'm fighting with 5'10" 215. I'd be extremely happy at 5'10" 190.

When I was 18 I was 5'9" 128. :shock:


At 18 I was 6'1", 145, now 160, but hit 190 about 5 years ago.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,084
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 am

5 of our 6 picks will be playing college hockey in the near future.
&
no euros.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,241
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby bwatt22 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 am

We must not even employ euro scouts, the way we avoid euros in the draft is crazy. "Dey soff"
bwatt22
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 am

Bowser grinding his axe in the comments section of the Trib:
http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... -shall-we/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,307
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:45 am

columbia wrote:Bowser grinding his axe in the comments section of the Trib:
http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... -shall-we/

Does Bowser post here anymore?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,781
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:12 am

So, from what I can tell, Jarry's biggest weakness is that he hasn't played much yet for the Oil Kings? He looks like he's been successful at many different levels each time he's played.

Who cares if they drafted forwards or defensemen with the other picks? They're all assets than can be moved at any time.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby sil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am

bwatt22 wrote:We must not even employ euro scouts, the way we avoid euros in the draft is crazy. "Dey soff"


They drafted 4 "euro's" last year.

Maatta
Blueger
Sundqvist
Zlobin

And they darfted Uher the year before that...and Kuhnhackl the year before that. This (2013) was actually Shero's first draft since 2007 where his team didn't draft a single "euro."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby sil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:21 am

I also disagree with Bowser regarding forward talent. I still could see both Kuhnhackl and Uher getting a chance to play in Pittsburgh this coming year for injury fill-ins. If there are any other regular WB/S pens fans around, I don't know about you, but I fell in love with Uher's game the first time I saw him play. Like an energizer bunny in both zones.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:26 am

sil wrote:
bwatt22 wrote:We must not even employ euro scouts, the way we avoid euros in the draft is crazy. "Dey soff"


They drafted 4 "euro's" last year.

Maatta
Blueger
Sundqvist
Zlobin

And they darfted Uher the year before that...and Kuhnhackl the year before that. This (2013) was actually Shero's first draft since 2007 where his team didn't draft a single "euro."


Maatta was drafted after being scouted in the OHL...on the most visible OHL team. Blueger has been at Shattuck-St. Mary's for like 4 years.

EDIT: Actually Zlobin has been in the Q hasn't he? I'm pretty sure Uher has been in Canada as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,234
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby sil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:
bwatt22 wrote:We must not even employ euro scouts, the way we avoid euros in the draft is crazy. "Dey soff"


They drafted 4 "euro's" last year.

Maatta
Blueger
Sundqvist
Zlobin

And they darfted Uher the year before that...and Kuhnhackl the year before that. This (2013) was actually Shero's first draft since 2007 where his team didn't draft a single "euro."


Maatta was drafted after being scouted in the OHL...on the most visible OHL team. Blueger has been at Shattuck-St. Mary's for like 4 years.

EDIT: Actually Zlobin has been in the Q hasn't he? I'm pretty sure Uher has been in Canada as well.


Scouting-wise, yeah, not much presence there. But these players are still european players.

I think Uher was playing in europe when drafted, though I could be mistaken.

EDIT: I've always viewed "North American" vs. "European" in hockeyspeak as more of a difference between upbringing and early developlment in style, as opposed to 'where they play in junior.' European players tend to play the game with a higher degree of finesse and skill. Granted Uher doesn't fit this mold, but I still hold that our (the pens org) representation with Euro players isn't "crazy...avoided" as the original poster put it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:49 am

I think it's a fair statement to say that their scouting efforts have been focused in North America.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby sil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am

pfim wrote:I think it's a fair statement to say that their scouting efforts have been focused in North America.


Very fair.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby Jesse on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 am

Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby owtahear on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 am

I am starting to wonder if the Pens are now a punchline for a joke......If an NHL draft happens in another city aside from Pittsburgh, does it make a sound for Pens fans?

Aside from lateness of picks and traded picks, alot of their picks are curious at best.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 am

owtahear wrote:I am starting to wonder if the Pens are now a punchline for a joke......If an NHL draft happens in another city aside from Pittsburgh, does it make a sound for Pens fans?

Aside from lateness of picks and traded picks, alot of their picks are curious at best.


Because we didn't have a first rounder this year? Not sure what you mean.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,236
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 am

pens2005 wrote:
owtahear wrote:I am starting to wonder if the Pens are now a punchline for a joke......If an NHL draft happens in another city aside from Pittsburgh, does it make a sound for Pens fans?

Aside from lateness of picks and traded picks, alot of their picks are curious at best.


Because we didn't have a first rounder this year? Not sure what you mean.


I think the point he is getting at; "is there one player on the team that we drafted after the 1st round"?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am

owtahear wrote:I am starting to wonder if the Pens are now a punchline for a joke......If an NHL draft happens in another city aside from Pittsburgh, does it make a sound for Pens fans?


I've never heard that joke.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,278
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 am

Here's what I hoped to hear about the Pens picks:

* Big body and good skater for his size
* Has offensive upside
* Can add weight to his frame
* Excellent skater

What I got was midgets with "good hockey sense" that scored in some pretty questionable leagues who are all off to college. I get that college affords us free years of development, but all of these guys need to at a minimum put on the Freshman 15.

I do like the idea of having 4 young goaltenders in the system introduced in the last few years. Like all the young D, we can always use them as trade pieces.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby Jesse on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Here's what I hoped to hear about the Pens picks:

* Big body and good skater for his size
* Has offensive upside
* Can add weight to his frame
* Excellent skater

What I got was midgets with "good hockey sense" that scored in some pretty questionable leagues who are all off to college. I get that college affords us free years of development, but all of these guys need to at a minimum put on the Freshman 15.

I do like the idea of having 4 young goaltenders in the system introduced in the last few years. Like all the young D, we can always use them as trade pieces.


You have two options where the Penguins picked:

1. Do what they did.
2. Waste picks on big bodied guys with "upside" that cannot skate and will never play in the NHL.

Once they moved the 50th pick, the options from there were limited at best.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby meow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Jesse wrote:2. Waste picks on big bodied guys with "upside" that cannot skate and will never play in the NHL.

That's called the "Flyers Model to Drafting"
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,200
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

meow wrote:
Jesse wrote:2. Waste picks on big bodied guys with "upside" that cannot skate and will never play in the NHL.

That's called the "Flyers Model to Drafting"


Or the "Eric Tangradi Model"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,844
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby Jesse on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

meow wrote:
Jesse wrote:2. Waste picks on big bodied guys with "upside" that cannot skate and will never play in the NHL.

That's called the "Flyers Model to Drafting"


They did it. Sam Morin was an awful selection in that spot.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby meow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Jesse wrote:
meow wrote:
Jesse wrote:2. Waste picks on big bodied guys with "upside" that cannot skate and will never play in the NHL.

That's called the "Flyers Model to Drafting"


They did it. Sam Morin was an awful selection in that spot.

I understand teams reaching a bit to grab guys that fit their organization's philosphy, but this pick was beyond ridiculous.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,200
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby owtahear on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes.....but having guys who can score goals in that "dirty" area makes it tough to do when you are 5'9" and 160lbs.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby sil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm

owtahear wrote:Yes.....but having guys who can score goals in that "dirty" area makes it tough to do when you are 5'9" and 160lbs.


Luckily these guys are drafted at 18. Hopefully a kid who's 5'-9" and 160 lbs turns into a man who's 5'-10" and 190 lbs.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

e-mail