Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Did you even read the article? I'm not trying to prove anything, because I don't need to prove anything.

There can only be one wrong opinion about racism, which is to ignore, trivialize, condone, or justify it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Nazi Guilt

It's okay. I can say it. My family was German and some even lived there during the war so I am allowed...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Would it make you feel better if I were, say, Belgian?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Gaucho wrote:Would it make you feel better if I were, say, Belgian?

Makes no matter to me. My post wasn't really directed AT you as much as I was trying to make a point. :fist:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm

columbia wrote:If the market is good at anything, it's mob rule.
It just happens to not meeting your wants, for this issue.

But I'm not sure the market is actually driving this. For example, as I mentioned above, her publisher put the kibosh on her new book even though it had risen to #1 on the bestsellers lists for both Amazon and B&N. Also, I'm not aware of any great amount of public pressure being brought to bear against the dozen-odd companies that have announced plans to drop her products or otherwise cut ties. I haven't seen any news stories along the lines of "So-and-So Receives Petition Demanding Termination of Deen." In fact, there seems to be an outpouring of support in the other direction. Yet she is being treated like she's radioactive and is being dumped left and right.

I think there's also the issue of whether rampant political correctness is something that is naturally present in the market or whether it is there through indoctrination in public schools. I lean towards the latter.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Would it make you feel better if I were, say, Belgian?

Makes no matter to me. My post wasn't really directed AT you as much as I was trying to make a point. :fist:

It's not a very good point, because I've heard it way too often. Mainly from Germans who are miffed they don't get to say Kanake often enough.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Shyster wrote:
columbia wrote:If the market is good at anything, it's mob rule.
It just happens to not meeting your wants, for this issue.

But I'm not sure the market is actually driving this. For example, as I mentioned above, her publisher put the kibosh on her new book even though it had risen to #1 on the bestsellers lists for both Amazon and B&N. Also, I'm not aware of any great amount of public pressure being brought to bear against the dozen-odd companies that have announced plans to drop her products or otherwise cut ties. I haven't seen any news stories along the lines of "So-and-So Receives Petition Demanding Termination of Deen." In fact, there seems to be an outpouring of support in the other direction. Yet she is being treated like she's radioactive and is being dumped left and right.

I think there's also the issue of whether rampant political correctness is something that is naturally present in the market or whether it is there through indoctrination in public schools. I lean towards the latter.

Of course it's market driven.

Potential consumer is watching a Paula Deen ad for Smithfield hams (assuming they existed) and immediately thinks, "That's that sugary woman, who calls people ******."

There aren't too many companies that are interested in that sort of consumer reaction to their products and they probably advertise on stormfront.org.
Last edited by columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Gaucho wrote:Did you even read the article? I'm not trying to prove anything, because I don't need to prove anything.
There can only be one wrong opinion about racism, which is to ignore, trivialize, condone, or justify it.

Going by that list, are you saying that everyone has an obligation to actively fight racism (i.e., merely ignoring it is unacceptable)?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Shyster wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Did you even read the article? I'm not trying to prove anything, because I don't need to prove anything.

Going by that list, are you saying that everyone has an obligation to actively fight racism (i.e., merely ignoring it is unacceptable)?

Good question and maybe "ignore" needs to be scratched off the list. Sometimes it is probably better to ignore it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:21 pm

paula deen is certainly racist, but i'm not "crucifying her" as one, whatever that means. or is this a binary thing where either you're an evil bigot or a pure saint?

she can be racist and not be a terrible person. she's mainly just a colossal ignoramus.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

One can also over compensate and actually feed racism by encouraging reverse descrimination.

So like anything that requires balance, there is more than just one way to be wrong about racism.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:24 pm

shmenguin wrote:paula deen is certainly racist, but i'm not "crucifying her" as one, whatever that means. or is this a binary thing where either you're an evil bigot or a pure saint?

she can be racist and not be a terrible person. she's mainly just a colossal ignoramus.

Yes, that's all I'm saying.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

One can also over compensate and actually feed racism by encouraging reverse descrimination.

Good thing I don't do that then, I guess.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Why are so many people _ in the world - intent on explaining away her behavior?
If they are trying to convince me that they are tolerant of racism, they are succeeding.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:34 pm

columbia wrote:Why are so many people _ in the world - intent on explaining away her behavior?
If they are trying to convince me that they are tolerant of racism, they are succeeding.

I think the reaction to what she said exceeds any notion of reasonable proportionality. It's like getting a 30-year prison sentence for shoplifting a 75-cent pack of bubble gum.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Shyster wrote:
columbia wrote:Why are so many people _ in the world - intent on explaining away her behavior?

I think the reaction to what she said exceeds any notion of reasonable proportionality. It's like getting a 30-year prison sentence for shoplifting a 75-cent pack of bubble gum.

She's a public figure. This is how public figures fare in situations like this.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Shyster wrote:I think there's also the issue of whether rampant political correctness is something that is naturally present in the market or whether it is there through indoctrination in public schools. I lean towards the latter.

If you want to blame public schools you should probably take it a step further and blame the parents.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cma3585 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm actually a bit miffed that people are upset with her for pushing fatty/sugary recipes when she's a diabetic. Do all Mercedes salesmen drive Mercedes or do some of those lowlife, cowardly scum drive Ford and Chevy? It's about making a living and doing what you're good at, which she evidently was very good at.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm

The rub was that she was pushing the sugary food then became as spokeswoman for a diabetes drug. Bourdain's analogy was something like being in the business of breaking people's legs so your crutch business can do better.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cma3585 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 pm

MWB wrote:The rub was that she was pushing the sugary food then became as spokeswoman for a diabetes drug. Bourdain's analogy was something like being in the business of breaking people's legs so your crutch business can do better.

I'd venture to say she was SO good at what she did, she became diabetic as a result. Not on purpose but it happened. This can be viewed in multiple ways but the way I see it is she's a damn fine cook. She didn't force any of these recipes on anybody, didn't hold a gun to anyone's head. May seem hypocritical but I don't find it any different than a person who hates Apple products developing for Apple or a person who doesn't enjoy the sport being a professional athlete. In the end it's all about making a living and using the gifts you have to do that if you can.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 pm

I've asked at least a half dozen people (here in Savannah) and they all have said that her restaurant is pretty terrible......just to clear up the "good cook" myth.

There is plenty of great southern cooking in this town, that doesn't include her.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm

I did... and I'm not saying you're wrong about Paula Deen. You are trying to make a strong statement, but Paula Deen does not even begin to define race relations in America. She makes fatty foods on TV and sells cookbooks. She indicates, defines, or represents very little that is 'going on' in the real world.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Pitt, i didnt mean to suggest she represents anyone or anything. I wasnt trying to make a "bigger" point or something.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:51 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:The whole case brought against Deen is a shakedown.

It's not a shakedown at all. The claim is primarily against her brother, who manages restaurants for Deen's company. Deen is a co-defendent on the lawsuit as the head of the company, but she's testifying primarily about her brother's management style and the workplace environment. Through that testimony is where the whole n-word discussion came about. But the real bad actor in the suit is the brother.

It's not even really a racial discrimination lawsuit; it's hostile work environment and sexual discrimination claim.

Shyster wrote:No government anywhere is involved.

Except, of course, for the Superior Court of Georgia, under whose auspices the revelations came to light allowing the market forces to act in the manner in which, in its benevolence, it has.

Pitt87 wrote:You are trying to make a strong statement, but Paula Deen does not even begin to define race relations in America.

The central point of that article - that there is a pervasive undercurrent of racism in Southern culture - is actually pretty much what I've been saying since early in this thread. So while Gaucho may not have intended it as anything larger, I'll take up the mantle. I very much do think that her attitudes - the casualness with which she says certain things - are evidence of that undercurrent. It's not so much that she doesn't think it's racist to hold those views..... it just has never occurred to her (or pretty much anyone else of her generation of Southerners) that there could possibly be anything wrong with things like a "plantation wedding" or saying things like "black people were such an important part of our upbringing".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:You are trying to make a strong statement, but Paula Deen does not even begin to define race relations in America.

The central point of that article - that there is a pervasive undercurrent of racism in Southern culture - is actually pretty much what I've been saying since early in this thread. So while Gaucho may not have intended it as anything larger, I'll take up the mantle. I very much do think that her attitudes - the casualness with which she says certain things - are evidence of that undercurrent. It's not so much that she doesn't think it's racist to hold those views..... it just has never occurred to her (or pretty much anyone else of her generation of Southerners) that there could possibly be anything wrong with things like a "plantation wedding" or saying things like "black people were such an important part of our upbringing".

Dude... Paula Deen is a cooking show host. Not even a good one. Anything she did pales in comparison to Alec Baldwin's vitriol public shaming of a gay reporter a few days ago. People seem to dismiss that fairly easily because "he's just an actor" and "hes and LGBT ally"... please... Lots of people are bigoted. Some people get away with it.

Its really not worth taking up a mantle against Paula Deen's ilk, in your words.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR