LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Thankfully, most Americans (and other Westerners, for that matter) seem to be in agreement on that count:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/syria-poll_n_3455775.html

Would that be the Assad-loving, dictatorship-approving Americans and Westerners? :slug:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 am

Gaucho wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Thankfully, most Americans (and other Westerners, for that matter) seem to be in agreement on that count:

Would that be the Assad-loving, dictatorship-approving Americans and Westerners? :slug:

I can pretty safely say that I prefer an Assad dictatorship to the alternative.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I can pretty safely say that I prefer an Assad dictatorship to the alternative.

Oh...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 am

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-joint-resolution/15

Is this the kind of thing that gets proposed all the time but never makes it?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Jose Serrano is awful. And yes, it is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:07 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-joint-resolution/15

Yep. He's been doing it since Clinton was in office (and proposed it 4 times while Bush was in too). Steny Hoyer does the same thing, or at least used to.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-joint-resolution/15

Yep. He's been doing it since Clinton was in office (and proposed it 4 times while Bush was in too). Steny Hoyer does the same thing, or at least used to.

Bingo. I find it quite bizarre, to be honest.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Why would we want to pass this law?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 pm

slappybrown wrote:Why would we want to pass this law?

Good question. I can't figure out why the same politicians keep proposing this knowing it will never see the floor of Congress.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Heard on a local station at lunch:

"They believe that our rights come from Islam, not God."

Ok.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Don't know if mentioned in here, but if that Snowden dude gets assulym (sp?) from a country, does that mean he pretty much gets off scott free?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

newarenanow wrote:Don't know if mentioned in here, but if that Snowden dude gets assulym (sp?) from a country, does that mean he pretty much gets off scott free?

If you believe living in the Ecuadorian Embassey somewhere is "scott free"...yes

see also: Julian Assange
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

A friend, who is at the Gettysburg festivities:

I just overheard this at the table next to us, "You ain't gonna see no libruls here cause this is about how great 'Murica is, and libruls hate 'Murica."

No wonder this country is so divided.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Don't know if mentioned in here, but if that Snowden dude gets assulym (sp?) from a country, does that mean he pretty much gets off scott free?

If you believe living in the Ecuadorian Embassey somewhere is "scott free"...yes

see also: Julian Assange

So it's not like he'll just enter the country and assimulate into their culture and disappear? I'm honestly having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Before reading the following reply to Shaf's outrage over Bert and Ernie, please note that my wife and I spent the weekend in San Francisco...... and it was Pride Weekend. The parade was brilliant...... perhaps even fabulous!

shafnutz05 wrote:Since when are Bert and Ernie gay?

Seriously, and I'm not asking this to be snarky, but..... are you saying you didn't know Bert & Ernie were gay?

Oh, sure, CTW has to make official statements about how "they're puppets, not humans" and "they don't exist below the waist" and "it's just a characterization of the friendship between Frank Oz and Jim Henson". As they undoubtedly have to, judging by your reaction.

But..... come on. They co-habitate and share clothes, they've taught one and other such valuable skills as sewing.

Spoiler:

The only thing that would make it more obvious is if they only had one bed in their (shared) bedroom.

And to be honest I've had my suspicions about Statler and Waldorf for a while, too. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Geezer wrote:Shocking!!! Do you realize that all countries spy on each other and that they have since pre-biblical times? Or does just American spying offend you?

I think the issue (and it is kind of a big deal) is that the NSA is an arm of the Department of Defense who have previously specialized in cryptography and foreign signals intelligence. So while the European countries may rail against this (for, imo, naive reasons) there is a potential issue here because of alleged hacking of embassy networks and UN facilities in the United States. The NSA is legislatively restricted from carrying out surveillance within the U.S., so if this is true it's potentially another piece of evidence of the expansion of the surveillance state.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:26 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Before reading the following reply to Shaf's outrage over Bert and Ernie, please note that my wife and I spent the weekend in San Francisco...... and it was Pride Weekend. The parade was brilliant...... perhaps even fabulous!

shafnutz05 wrote:Since when are Bert and Ernie gay?

Seriously, and I'm not asking this to be snarky, but..... are you saying you didn't know Bert & Ernie were gay?

Oh, sure, CTW has to make official statements about how "they're puppets, not humans" and "they don't exist below the waist" and "it's just a characterization of the friendship between Frank Oz and Jim Henson". As they undoubtedly have to, judging by your reaction.

But..... come on. They co-habitate and share clothes, they've taught one and other such valuable skills as sewing.

Spoiler:

The only thing that would make it more obvious is if they only had one bed in their (shared) bedroom.

And to be honest I've had my suspicions about Statler and Waldorf for a while, too. :lol:

That goes back to the Hays code when couples had to sleep in separate beds. See the Dick Van Dyke show.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 pm

columbia wrote:A friend, who is at the Gettysburg festivities:

I just overheard this at the table next to us, "You ain't gonna see no libruls here cause this is about how great 'Murica is, and libruls hate 'Murica."

The least common denominator is usually gives you the most fractured answers. But this person that your friend overheard is not dividing the country on his/her own. Your friend's silent outrage is also somewhat responsible.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm

columbia wrote:A friend, who is at the Gettysburg festivities:

That's not the only reason. :pop:

You also have movements like OWS, the current administrations disrespect for the constitution, the current administrations military operations and foreign interventionist policies, as well as the massive intelligence ops.

I think think that's a pretty long list.

And the items I mentioned aren't just "Joe Sixpack", they're an entrenched and empowered administration.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:14 pm

I can always count on you to observe an objectively bad thing and try to place blame for other things on other people.

bravo.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:21 pm

columbia wrote:I can always count on you to observe an objectively bad thing and try to place blame for other things on other people.

bravo.

And I can always count on you to blame individuals who have no power other than an individual vote instead of the current administration which acquires more and more power over the citizens each and every day.

What scares me about that is that future administrations inherit those executive powers and someday that same "joe sixpack" you talk about is going to be part of a grass roots effort (think Regan 1980), which sweeps an administration into the Whitehouse that could be as bad as Santorum-Bachman.

I shudder to think of what our lives would be then.

In short. Don't argue for the excesses of ANY administration unless you're willing to see future administrations, who you disagree with, having those same powers.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:38 pm

The whole president term thing.

If you ask me, one term for 6 years. Don't have to spend time campaigning and all that garbage for reelection.

Congress needs to be 2 4 year terms. Tired of lifers. And they wonder why there is never change...idiots. I (and maybe the country) don't need people in congress who were born in the 30s and 40s.

/mini rant over
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Columbia, please stop beating down a man while propping up The Man like you always do.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Factorial wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Although I'm not sure I'd call the culprits peace loving freedom fighters.

I think Shaf is the only referring to them as that.

Hardly.

Since the start of the Egyptian Revolution in 2011, the protesters have been misrepresented as such. It is difficult for me to celebrate the end of any dictator's regime over there, because it will only be replaced by a violent, conservative theocracy.

I think you're half way there. I agree 100% that the protesters have been misrepresented, but I would argue that the protests stem largely from an anti-american sentiment as we backed Mubarak right up until his reign became untenable. Then we claimed credit for helping the revolution. Morsi helped deliver peace between Hamas and Israel, and when he then claimed near-dictatorial power shortly thereafter, and Washington was silent. It looked to be an obvious quid pro quo, and I imagine it was obvious to the Egyptian people as well.

But would you even give a moment's consideration to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, people want to feel like their government should answer to their own people, and not Washington DC? And can you imagine if the issue of american influence gained traction in Egyptian national politics what kind of voices would ring loudest in the ears of the people? It would be people who would appear incorruptible, devoutly religious, and strong - as opposed to the greedy and slick politicians who wheel and deal with DC rather than focusing on the people. It should be noted too that while Mubarak's regime was close with Washington, he was no reformer.

If you can entertain that possibility, even as an intellectual exercise, what possible good then (from a natsec point of view) can come from further interference? Won't further interference just strengthen the ideology of those we consider to be our enemies? If we went hands-off for a decade or two, won't anti-americn ideologies dry up? How would they get funding if they can't demonstrate a credible cause? How would they recruit? How would they win political office?

Imagine how upset people get over the influence of lobbyists, especially foreign lobbyists, within our government. Multiply that by 1000.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 am

Just as an interesting factoid of the day: there are now 1 million more people protesting Morsey in Tahrir Sq (14 million) than voted for him last year (13 million). I'm not a cop, but I believe professional investigators refer to such nuggets as "clues".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR