LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:26 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,039
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby stopper40 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am

stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,742
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Memorial to be held for 50,000 dead bees
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Memorial- ... 37921.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,390
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 am

http://www.space.com/22002-comet-ison-timeline-sun-flyby.html

If the icy dust ball doesn't get ripped apart by extreme solar forces, some astronomers have said it could be the "comet of the century," possibly shining brightly enough to be seen during the daytime.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,039
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:06 pm

This is a cool story. She found them on google earth, scientists all laughed, now they may be bigger than the giza pyramids.

Mysterious, pyramid-like structures spotted in the Egyptian desert by an amateur satellite archaeologist might be long-lost pyramids after all, according to a new investigation into the enigmatic mounds.

Angela Micol, who last year found the structures using Google Earth 5,000 miles away in North Carolina, says puzzling features have been uncovered during a preliminary ground proofing expedition, revealing cavities and shafts.

"After the buzz simmered down, I was contacted by an Egyptian couple who claimed to have important historical references for both sites," Micol said.

The couple, Medhat Kamal El-Kady, former ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman, and his wife Haidy Farouk Abdel-Hamid, a lawyer, former counselor at the Egyptian presidency and adviser of border issues and international issues of sovereignty, are top collectors of maps, old documents, books and rare political and historical manuscripts.

For the site near the Fayum, they cited three maps in particular -- a map by Robert de Vaugoudy, dating from 1753, a rare map by the engineers of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a map and documents by Major Brown, general of irrigation for Lower Egypt in the late 1880s.


http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/long-lost-pyramids-found-130715.htm
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,145
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:32 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:http://www.space.com/22002-comet-ison-timeline-sun-flyby.html

If the icy dust ball doesn't get ripped apart by extreme solar forces, some astronomers have said it could be the "comet of the century," possibly shining brightly enough to be seen during the daytime.



I can't wait for this.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,742
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 am

Psychopathic criminals have empathy switch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23431793
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,390
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 am

I think I'm a psychopath....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,039
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby viva la ben on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am

eddysnake wrote:This is a cool story. She found them on google earth, scientists all laughed, now they may be bigger than the giza pyramids.

Mysterious, pyramid-like structures spotted in the Egyptian desert by an amateur satellite archaeologist might be long-lost pyramids after all, according to a new investigation into the enigmatic mounds.

Angela Micol, who last year found the structures using Google Earth 5,000 miles away in North Carolina, says puzzling features have been uncovered during a preliminary ground proofing expedition, revealing cavities and shafts.

"After the buzz simmered down, I was contacted by an Egyptian couple who claimed to have important historical references for both sites," Micol said.

The couple, Medhat Kamal El-Kady, former ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman, and his wife Haidy Farouk Abdel-Hamid, a lawyer, former counselor at the Egyptian presidency and adviser of border issues and international issues of sovereignty, are top collectors of maps, old documents, books and rare political and historical manuscripts.

For the site near the Fayum, they cited three maps in particular -- a map by Robert de Vaugoudy, dating from 1753, a rare map by the engineers of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a map and documents by Major Brown, general of irrigation for Lower Egypt in the late 1880s.


http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/long-lost-pyramids-found-130715.htm

Aliens
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,331
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby ILikeTurtles on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 am

Scientists Reprogram Adult Cells to a Pluripotent State
http://www.lifenews.com/2013/07/24/scientists-reprogram-adult-stem-cells-to-a-pluripotent-state/
This is big news in the stem cell arena.

Scientists from China have reprogrammed adult mouse cells to a pluripotent state with a few chemicals. Previously, researchers used genes inserted into the cells by an engineered virus which raised concerns about the safety of the technique for use in treating patients. But now these small molecules can cross the cell membrane without the aid of a virus and can reprogram the cell without the insertion of genes. The Scientist has the details:
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,949
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Searching the Congo for Crocosaurus.

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm

eddysnake wrote:This is a cool story. She found them on google earth, scientists all laughed, now they may be bigger than the giza pyramids.

Mysterious, pyramid-like structures spotted in the Egyptian desert by an amateur satellite archaeologist might be long-lost pyramids after all, according to a new investigation into the enigmatic mounds.

Angela Micol, who last year found the structures using Google Earth 5,000 miles away in North Carolina, says puzzling features have been uncovered during a preliminary ground proofing expedition, revealing cavities and shafts.

"After the buzz simmered down, I was contacted by an Egyptian couple who claimed to have important historical references for both sites," Micol said.

The couple, Medhat Kamal El-Kady, former ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman, and his wife Haidy Farouk Abdel-Hamid, a lawyer, former counselor at the Egyptian presidency and adviser of border issues and international issues of sovereignty, are top collectors of maps, old documents, books and rare political and historical manuscripts.

For the site near the Fayum, they cited three maps in particular -- a map by Robert de Vaugoudy, dating from 1753, a rare map by the engineers of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a map and documents by Major Brown, general of irrigation for Lower Egypt in the late 1880s.


http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/long-lost-pyramids-found-130715.htm


That is super cool. I'm surprised that the Google founders aren't ponying up some money for an expedition. That would be huge PR haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 pm

MIT scientists plant false memory in mouse’s mind
http://www.boston.com/news/science/blog ... /blog.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,390
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:31 pm

A star is born. No, really, a star is born!

http://www.space.com/22434-stunning-bab ... scope.html
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,996
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: HEY, MJ, BAG SKATE 'EM!

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:06 pm

In Completely Unforeseeable Coincidence, Anti-Vaccine Church Hit By Measles Outbreak

Kenneth Copeland, is not a fan of vaccines, instead urging his flock to “teach our children to eat right” as part of “God’s health and wellness plan.” (And yes, in that video, Copeland promotes the completely discredited notion that vaccines cause autism.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:42 pm

The title of that article is fantastic.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 am

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-behavior

Across all these different measures, the researchers found consistent results. Simply being primed with science-related thoughts increased a) adherence to moral norms, b) real-life future altruistic intentions, and c) altruistic behavior towards an anonymous other. The conceptual association between science and morality appears strong.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 am

I can get behind this.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,234
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:27 am

Man...the marine biologist at my church must be super moral then....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,039
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37 am

interesting... i reread the article and it didn't mention church a single time.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:41 am

count2infinity wrote:interesting... i reread the article and it didn't mention church a single time.


I was commenting that, if those with "science-related thoughts" tend to have an "...adherence to moral norms" then my friend should be super moral given that he has both Christ-like thoughts and actions as well as science-related thoughts.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,039
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Man...the marine biologist at my church must be super moral then....


I TELL YOU HE WAS 10 STORIES HIGH IF HE WAS A FOOT!!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,103
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
count2infinity wrote:interesting... i reread the article and it didn't mention church a single time.


I was commenting that, if those with "science-related thoughts" tend to have an "...adherence to moral norms" then my friend should be super moral given that he has both Christ-like thoughts and actions as well as science-related thoughts.


every experiment has their outliers...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Man...the marine biologist at my church must be super moral then....


I TELL YOU HE WAS 10 STORIES HIGH IF HE WAS A FOOT!!


lol. He works for NOAA and studies migration patterns of Carribean sea life. He basically scuba dives for a living....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,039
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Shyster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 pm

count2infinity wrote:every experiment has their outliers...

Indeed. I have a B.S. in biology and I generally don’t give a crap about other people. It certainly didn’t increase my sense of altruism.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,226
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:36 pm

First Genetic Evidence That Humans Choose Friends With Similar DNA
https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/2272bddcdb0d
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,390
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, blackjack68, Cagsjr724, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, mikey287 and 7 guests


e-mail