Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:47 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Hey now, PS3 owners: BF3 is one of the free games of the month if you're a Playstation Plus subscriber.

Also, in sad Wii related news, a recent thunderstorm killed our Wii. Since it was long out of warranty, we had to pay $81 to have it repaired. There was some discussion about upgrading to a Wii U, but with the kids getting older, I think we'll hold out for a PS4 (eventually) and get the Wii repaired.

Anyone have any experience with Nintendo repair services?

you can buy a used one for under $81. I see a few on Craigslist right now for under that, some with games.

if you're cool with the idea of spending $81 (probably plus shipping?) id definitely spring for the U.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 am

I bought Imperialism II on the gog.com sale. Holy crap this game is hard, but really fun.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
the wicked child wrote:My system should be more than able to handle the game... I have double most of their recommended settings.

From what I can tell, this is not an uncommon problem and no one really has any answers.

:pop: PC gaming is so much better than console gaming.

Did your version of Skyrim had brothels and animated ladies of the night? Mine did!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 am

Finally reached 50% on Lego LOTR.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
the wicked child wrote:My system should be more than able to handle the game... I have double most of their recommended settings.

From what I can tell, this is not an uncommon problem and no one really has any answers.

Did your version of Skyrim had brothels and animated ladies of the night? Mine did!

Mine had about 80 hours of gameplay with another 80 left that will never be played. Therefore it was about 200% of what I needed. People that need mods to get enough enjoyment out of a Bethesda game can't possibly have a social life.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:36 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Mine had about 80 hours of gameplay with another 80 left that will never be played. Therefore it was about 200% of what I needed. People that need mods to get enough enjoyment out of a Bethesda game can't possibly have a social life.

I never finished the game, I just pop mods in and screw around. The fun of those games is screwing around, the story and combat are :snore.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:46 am

I think the only Bethesda game's story i've liked was Fallout 3. Probably the only one I go past 40% on and I finished it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:28 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote::pop: PC gaming is so much better than console gaming.

And better, more realistic lighting. And smarter horses that come when you whistle. And dozens more weapons and accessories to craft. And better, more expansive player-owned houses. And improved maps and menus. And nekkid women. And multiple additional types of tougher-to-kill dragons. And that's just scratching the surface.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:28 pm

I bought the Grass Clipper simulator on the steam sale, you go around with scissors cutting grass
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Battlefield 3 is the free Ps+ game this week. Downloading now.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:39 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Battlefield 3 is the free Ps+ game this week. Downloading now.

Me too. :thumb:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I guess BF3 is good then? I for some reason have ignored all the BF games. (hides under his desk)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I guess BF3 is good then? I for some reason have ignored all the BF games. (hides under his desk)

BF and COD each have their own perks.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Ratchet and Clank Collection for $7.50 on sale is awesome. I think they're trying to butter us up to stay with PS and not go to XBox. ($25+ at amazon)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:24 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I guess BF3 is good then? I for some reason have ignored all the BF games. (hides under his desk)

I think I was always under the impression that BF was mostly for multiplayer.... I am reading there that this does have single player missions.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I bought the Grass Clipper simulator on the steam sale, you go around with scissors cutting grass

First, I will admit that I actually checked to see if there was a new grass-cutting game. After all, there are no less than two farming simulators on Steam right now.

Second, curse you for making me think that the Steam summer sale had started. I want to buy the DLC for Skyrim.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:30 pm

If I ever meet the guy who came up with the China city layout in Dues Ex HR I am going to punch him in the face. I think I'm almost done with China - next mission is the Tai Yong Medical - and I still can't tell where the hell I'm going (that map isn't much help) and I'm mostly guessing till I get there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I think I was always under the impression that BF was mostly for multiplayer.... I am reading there that this does have single player missions.

Yes, the earlier versions didn't have much of a single player game - usually co-op against bots. The two Bad Company games and BF3 have story-based single player games. They aren't nearly as good as COD's single player games (from what I've heard), but they are there. Multiplayer is where it's at with the Battlefield series.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Sarcastic wrote:If I ever meet the guy who came up with the China city layout in Dues Ex HR I am going to punch him in the face. I think I'm almost done with China - next mission is the Tai Yong Medical - and I still can't tell where the hell I'm going (that map isn't much help) and I'm mostly guessing till I get there.

IIRC, China has two sections with transition points between: the main one where you first land on top of the whorehouse and the second one with an apartment building. The main section is mostly a big loop; if you keep going in one direction I think you will come back around through the whole place. The other section is smaller and is basically a rectangle.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spangler on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 pm

If you aren't playing multiplayer for BF games, then don't even bother getting them.

There's a high learning curve to BF3. Once you get the hang of things, it's a fun game.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Shyster wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I bought the Grass Clipper simulator on the steam sale, you go around with scissors cutting grass

First, I will admit that I actually checked to see if there was a new grass-cutting game. After all, there are no less than two farming simulators on Steam right now.

Second, curse you for making me think that the Steam summer sale had started. I want to buy the DLC for Skyrim.

Haha sorry :scared: :fist:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 am

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:If I ever meet the guy who came up with the China city layout in Dues Ex HR I am going to punch him in the face. I think I'm almost done with China - next mission is the Tai Yong Medical - and I still can't tell where the hell I'm going (that map isn't much help) and I'm mostly guessing till I get there.

IIRC, China has two sections with transition points between: the main one where you first land on top of the whorehouse and the second one with an apartment building. The main section is mostly a big loop; if you keep going in one direction I think you will come back around through the whole place. The other section is smaller and is basically a rectangle.

Sounds about right. Problem is there is a lot of stuff to check all around. So many apartments and garages to look in. And the roof tops. And the sewers. It's not really a large area but it's too easy to miss an important upgrade. I can't remember which section has what even, as all those Chinese words sound the same to me. I was able to get everything on the list though (praxis things and weapon upgrades). I am using a walkthrough.. not to read and play, but to make sure I'm not missing any of those upgrade items.

I am carrying the normal silent gun, the revolver (kicks ass with explosive upgrade), and the silent combat rifle - all 3 with red laser targeting, woo. And a tranq. rifle and a stun gun.

I hack everything too, ignoring any codes I find. One of the first things I did was upgrade my hacking skill to 3 and then 5 soon after that, so I've been hacking everything getting experience and money. I just got to Tai Yong and I have all the upgrades I need and still have like 8 praxis points left to use. I'll use 3 now, but not sure what to use the other 5 on and I think this is only like the halfway point through the game. Hacking everything from the start was a great idea, imo.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:45 am

Spangler wrote:If you aren't playing multiplayer for BF games, then don't even bother getting them.

There's a high learning curve to BF3. Once you get the hang of things, it's a fun game.

If you can hold your own in COD pretty well and actually care about trying to win at games like Domination (instead of just your K/D) - how hard will the adjustment be to BF3? I understand it is more teamwork motivated...what are the other major differences? Controls and equipment load outs fairly the same?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am

JeffDFD wrote:
Spangler wrote:If you aren't playing multiplayer for BF games, then don't even bother getting them.

If you can hold your own in COD pretty well and actually care about trying to win at games like Domination (instead of just your K/D) - how hard will the adjustment be to BF3? I understand it is more teamwork motivated...what are the other major differences? Controls and equipment load outs fairly the same?

I haven't played a COD game since it was set in WWII, but from what I've heard, is yes, they are similar in layout and setup.

BF has four classes, each with their different roles to play. Assault is the most overpowered in the game, IMO, because you get a medical kit that speeds health regeneration and one of the early unlocks are the shock paddles, where you can revive dead teammates. Plus, assault gets the best all-around weapons in the game. Engineer is probably the second class of importance: they are the anti-vehicle class, with RPG/SMAW, guided Javelin, AA rockets, and mines/repair tool. Support class has light machine guns which are high rate of fire, but very, very inaccurate unless bipoded. This class also provides ammo resupply, C4 explosives, anti-personnel mines, and mortars. Recon class is your sniper class with some handy gadgets and rifles, but largely derided for being anti-objective (i.e. not capturing bases/flags/blowing up M-Com in Rush game mode).

Each class has unique weapons and each weapon has a variety of scopes, foregrips, laser sights, supressors and so on that are unlocked sequentially. Plus, there are PDW/Shotguns that can be unlocked and used in every class.

One last thing - there is a Co-op mode in BF3 that requires another person to play single-player type missions. The cool thing is that as you accumulate points in co-op, you unlock weapons that can be used in the MP game. Actually, some of the best weapons in the game are unlocked via co-op including the G3A3, MP7, MP412 REX pistol, and the 93R auto pistol. Those missions would be a lot of fun with voice coms in PS3: for the PC version, there isn't a voip option (you could use third party software, but not with random public players obviously).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spangler on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Driving and piloting vehicles -especially piloting, is difficult. You will likely need a youtube tuturial on piloting tips. I don't remember what COD was like, but the bullet physics are something to get used to. Bullets take time to reach the enemy, and you have to adjust your aim accordingly. There are a lot of obstructions to make the enemy soldiers hard to see, so it's likely you will die a lot from enemies you couldn't see until you get used to the maps.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR