Dupuis Extended; 4 years at 3.75mm, Limited No-Trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dupuis Extended; 4 years at 3.75mm, Limited No-Trade

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 am

Awesome!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 am

skullman80 wrote:I love Duper, but I don't like a 4 year deal at his age.

Better than the deal the FlyBoys gave Lecavalier IMO. Dupuis is on the uptick and Lecavalier is on the downslope. Obviously that could change in a heartbeat. But at this date & time I like what the Pens did more. :)

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:45 am

I was actually coming to post that this makes the Lecavalier deal look a lot more palatable than I thought it was. Yesterday for the Pens must be what its like to be a Flyers fan every offseason. "Yes, we got the guy! What happens now?"
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Wyopen on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
Wyopen wrote:Well I see we have the same team from last year, so much for change. As I said in previous posts look up Einstein's definition of insanity.

There would be about 25 other teams who would love to have this type of insanity.
Yes the penguins ran into a team playing better than them in the ECF, but a few bounces here or there and that series is a lot closer. That being said Boston played perfect hockey and it's pretty tough to beat a team playing perfect hockey.

You're right they did run into a hot team, but this is becoming like the Good Old Boys Club. Same coach, same players save a year older, little cap space, questionable goal tending, HCDB will hold back Despres, in other words it's the same song. I thought at GMRS conference after the ECF there to be changes made, was I wrong? I know it's early, but seeing a trend here.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
Wyopen wrote:Well I see we have the same team from last year, so much for change. As I said in previous posts look up Einstein's definition of insanity.

There would be about 25 other teams who would love to have this type of insanity.
Yes the penguins ran into a team playing better than them in the ECF, but a few bounces here or there and that series is a lot closer. That being said Boston played perfect hockey and it's pretty tough to beat a team playing perfect hockey.

This. And lest we forget, Boston had to come up with a certified miracle (or two) in game 7 vs the Leafs to even be able to show up in the ECF. Had the Leafs shown up there, they were a better matchup for the Pens. That being said, the Pens could have also lost to the Leafs in the ECF. :pop:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 am

offsides wrote:Sid's line is back, now we need a winger for Geno?

Would have rather seen Bennett play with him. Where does Bennett fit in? That second line of Neal Malkin and Bennett looks weak to me in terms of physicality.

Bennett deserved to be with Sid next year. I don't know.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eww7633 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:08 am

I'm surprised... pleasantly.
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 am

pens2005 wrote:

Would have rather seen Bennett play with him. Where does Bennett fit in? That second line of Neal Malkin and Bennett looks weak to me in terms of physicality.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here, but whether you plug in Bennett on line 1A or line 1B, he is going to make that line less physical. After all, he's not exactly Andre the Giant. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

pens2005 wrote:

This isn't aimed at you directly, but why is there still knocks on Bennett for his lack of physicality? He's put in the time in the gym and added a lot of weight since he was drafted, and every game I watched saw him throwing decent hits and battling in the corners. Watching him absolutely destroying Krug in the corner during the Boston series is firmly stuck in my mind.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

I pretty much agree with everything you say here, but whether you plug in Bennett on line 1A or line 1B, he is going to make that line less physical. After all, he's not exactly Andre the Giant. :roll:

BEPF

True but Kunitz brings physicality, Neal doesn't. At least I don't think he does it nearly enough.
So putting Bennett on a line with Kunitz as opposed to Neal makes more sense to me.

I feel like this team needed major change. They have literally brought back every piece to this club.

I think their strategy is flawed and they certainly think it is not whatsoever. Lol
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:30 am

pens2005 wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

BEPF

True but Kunitz brings physicality, Neal doesn't. At least I don't think he does it nearly enough.
So putting Bennett on a line with Kunitz as opposed to Neal makes more sense to me.

I feel like this team needed major change. They have literally brought back every piece to this club.

I think their strategy is flawed and they certainly think it is not whatsoever. Lol

I'm not against the Dupuis signing, but I'm really confused here as well. Shero talked about changes, yet he immediately renewed Bylsma and his entire staff (not counting Meloche because he retired/moved on), then Fleury gets an undeserved vote of confidence, and now we've given new contracts to Malkin, Letang, Kunitz, and Dupuis. The only change we've done is get rid of Kennedy and potentially lose Cooke and the rentals we picked up at the deadline. I'm not seeing the change in direction at all for this team.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Dupuis Extended; 4 years at 3.75mm

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 am

columbia wrote:What the?

Very surprising.

A very good what the! :D
Great news until naysayers chatter. :P
Break-up day for the pens, Pascal mentioned friends; non related to hockey, that he would hate to leave in pgh. Something you don't hear often.
Super duper joins the pens yinzer squad! 8-)

Put me in the mix of Kunitz- Evgeni- Neal. Sid needs a shake up!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slipshod on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 am

Since they are see-sawing back and forth on moves I don't like (extending Disco), then I like (extending Geno), then don't like (extending Letang) to one I love (extending Dupes) the Pens are set to make a move I don't like. Probably signing Iginla to too much money while announcing he will play left wing / no power play exclusively.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 am

pens2005 wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

BEPF

Well, you might not want Neal to bring physicallity. Seems like when he does, he ends up in the penalty box, and when he does, the other team lights the lamp a pretty good % of the time.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:43 am

skullman80 wrote:I love Duper, but I don't like a 4 year deal at his age.

Sort of agree, but then again he's played 4 (almost) full seasons. I think the games hes missed have been maintenance, not injury.

In any case, really happy to have him back.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:47 am

canaan wrote:I'll go on record and say I'm not a big fan of this.

And earn the scorn of the entire Pascal Dupuis Appreciation Society!!!! :)

I like the deal, maybe a year too long, but its about the win next year and the year after. The extra year was the kicker to keep him.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:49 am

I'd rather have Dupuis at his contract than Lecavalier at his, definitely.

They are putting a lot of stock into the cap going up significantly after next year.

Here's hoping he holds up his end of the bargain and the contract doesn't suck.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Dupuis Extended; 4 years at 3.75mm

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:50 am

penny lane wrote:
columbia wrote:What the?

Very surprising.

A very good what the! :D
Great news until naysayers chatter. :P
Break-up day for the pens, Pascal mentioned friends; non related to hockey, that he would hate to leave in pgh. Something you don't hear often.
Super duper joins the pens yinzer squad! 8-)

Put me in the mix of Kunitz- Evgeni- Neal. Sid needs a shake up!

Not understanding/agreeing with the last sentence. Sid would have won the Art Ross if he suddenly didn't need dental work. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 am

^ I'm not saying jerk Sid around just because. Every line needs more speed. Iginla off of Evgeni's line forever. Bennett with Sid or Evgeni. we'll see.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 am

Wyopen wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:

You're right they did run into a hot team, but this is becoming like the Good Old Boys Club. Same coach, same players save a year older, little cap space, questionable goal tending, HCDB will hold back Despres, in other words it's the same song. I thought at GMRS conference after the ECF there to be changes made, was I wrong? I know it's early, but seeing a trend here.

If you get on the PA turnpike in Pittsburgh and head east, you'll wind up in a city that changes every year. Maybe they are more to your liking?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am

What scares me the most is unless we find the fountain of youth, Crosby could be playing with two 38 year old deadweights in the prime of his career.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:06 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:What scares me the most is unless we find the fountain of youth, Crosby could be playing with two 38 year old deadweights in the prime of his career.

You never, ever break up the best line in all of hockey.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:07 am

Prime at 30? Nor can we predict that in two years they will still be Crosby's linemates, much less four.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am

Perhaps there should be turnover in the roster, but not Pascal Dupuis. He certainly wasn't part of the "problem" whatever that was.

The guy seems to get better every year, not just with the goal scoring. Certainly that can't continue, but he's in great shape, he'll be a contributor for all four years of the deal.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am

mikey287 wrote:Prime at 30? Nor can we predict that in two years they will still be Crosby's linemates, much less four.

They're being paid as such.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins