Dupuis Extended; 4 years at 3.75mm, Limited No-Trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dupuis Extended; 4 years at 3.75mm, Limited No-Trade

Postby luv66 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 am

Bioshock wrote:
bhaw wrote:Monday is going to be really boring for Penguin fans.

Maybe not. I see trades coming.

So do I .

I'm really happy they got Dupes locked up. Perhaps 4 years is a little longer than I would have wanted but it was probably necessary to get the deal done. I felt like he would stay here but wasn't going to blame him if he at least waited to see what other offers were out there. No doubt he would have made bank on the open market. Thanks Pascal :thumb:
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 am

By the end of the contract, he could very well be getting paid like a fringe 2nd/3rd liner. That contract may look like the Penguins portion of the Jokinen contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 am

Crankshaft wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Prime at 30? Nor can we predict that in two years they will still be Crosby's linemates, much less four.

They're being paid as such.

Right now, yes. And they will be. Who knows what these contracts look like four years, who knows if they're still even here then.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 am

With Kunitz and Dupuis making over 3.5M each, will we have the cap structure to bury them on the 3rd line? I don't know. I'm just saying its a real possibility, older players have an inherent risk involved because you don't know when they will inevitably regress, and each player is different in that regard.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 am

My username is still relevant!!!!!
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:16 am

Brenden Morrow has been toast for two years and there was quite a bit of interest in him this year and his $4.1 million cap hit...Agree with Mikey, worry about 3-4 years from now when it happens.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 am

As Mikey and ID40 have hinted at, their salary numbers don't look too bad when you consider 1) the cap going up and 2) contracts for players like Dupuis and Kunitz are going to get more expensive in the future.

These are virtually a bargain.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 am

luv66 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

So do I .

I'm really happy they got Dupes locked up. Perhaps 4 years is a little longer than I would have wanted but it was probably necessary to get the deal done. I felt like he would stay here but wasn't going to blame him if he at least waited to see what other offers were out there. No doubt he would have made bank on the open market. Thanks Pascal :thumb:

Who would be traded though? There is nobody to trade.

Unless you honestly think Letang or Neal is in play, who on earth can this team trade that will bring back a substantial return?

Niskanen? Engelland? Martin?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 am

Good for Pascal. He's earned a big pay day. Good on Shero for recognizing how important Dupuis is and rewarding him. $16.3shmil a year for the best line in hockey is a pretty good deal.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 am

Kunitz and Dupuis 4 year deals are perfect.

Bennett, Despres, and Bortuzzo for the next 2-3 seasons will be on Entry Level deals and then "transition" contracts probably under 3M each.
Also in 2-3 seasons Pouliot, Harrington, and Dumoulin will probably be fighting for spots on the NHL roster, lets hope.

We can move Kunitz and or Dupuis after 3 seasons to get a nice return at the deadline if needed.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

Nizzy wrote:Kunitz and Dupuis 4 year deals are perfect.

Bennett, Despres, and Bortuzzo for the next 2-3 seasons will be on Entry Level deals and then "transition" contracts probably under 3M each.
Also in 2-3 seasons Pouliot, Harrington, and Dumoulin will probably be fighting for spots on the NHL roster, lets hope.

We can move Kunitz and or Dupuis after 3 seasons to get a nice return at the deadline if needed.

I'm hoping Pouliot and Matta are here sooner than 3 seasons from now.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby luv66 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:This gets a big ole meh from me. Love Dupuis and I'm glad he's sticking around, but this team needed change and its not getting it, Bennett's shot as Sid's RW (his preferred position) is already gone, its pretty obvious they are going to continue signing Kunitz and Dupuis until Sid decides to retire, and now UFA is boring for me.

I agree this team needs a change , I was hoping a Letang trade was in the works and was hoping for a coaching change. And what to do with MAF????? Oh well.

IMO , keeping Dupuis is the right move. He seems like a team guy and isn't injury prone like many of the players we have given huge contracts to in the recent past (I'm not saying I wouldn't sign Sid and Geno because hell yeah I would, just sayin'). I just feel he's a big part of what is working on this team.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

Dupuis will be 38 when the contract ends...but the money is fairly reasonable assuming that Dupuis doesn't completely fall off a cliff in the next year or two. It sure looks like Shero is trying to keep the band together and get one more run out of this core.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mpc71 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 am

Not that I hate Dupuis or Kunitz but to me, all these signings, contract extensions, etc are way to much for status quo that isn't going to get better and will likely see a sharp decline in productivity not even half way through these contracts.
mpc71

Postby luv66 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 am

pens2005 wrote:
luv66 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

So do I .

Who would be traded though? There is nobody to trade.

Unless you honestly think Letang or Neal is in play, who on earth can this team trade that will bring back a substantial return?

Niskanen? Engelland? Martin?

I don't know if there will be a blockbuster trade (I would like Letang to be traded but I doubt that happens). Neal will not be traded. Niskanen seems like the most logical player. I am at least hoping there are changes coming I can't see RS sitting on his hands.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:04 am

Maybe I'm by myself here, but I saw Bennett throwing more body checks (although weak) than Sid and Malkin.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 am

We punched Boston right in the mouth and they just took it in stride and scored. I'm not worried about physicality, none of our stars are soft. We need speed, and this signing at least keeps some of that.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 am

Definitely don't mind Dupuis on the roster moving forward. I think he'll still be useful as a 3rd liner at that salary. But I don't like extending both Dupuis and Kunitz. I'd rather let Kunitz go.

Also don't like that this probably means Bennett is going to play on the LW. Malkin-Neal need a guy to muck in the corners. Bennett would be much better suited playing RW with Sid.

I guess I'd go
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

But fat chance. Sid's got his BFFs.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 am

First of all, I am happy that Dupuis signed this contract for under market value. Mike Colligan called the value in late May, and I thought it was reasonable then. Anything under $4 mil a year is a good deal for both sides. As it's an under 35 contract, he can be bought out without penalty - correct?

A lot of talk on Twitter about how Chicago's Cup winning roster was largely unchanged from last season's ouster at the hands of the Coyotes.

A complete blowup of the roster would be kind of fun from a voyeuristic or bitter fan perspective, but not necessary or practical.

Although the Pens need more production from entry level contracts (a la Geno's in 2009), important role players need to be signed. Dupuis' versatility and hard PK minutes make him a priority signing. He's also an important voice in the locker room, which is important for this team evidently.

Now if Bylsma can be difficult to coach against in a seven game series.... ;)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 am

Under 35 contract has nothing to do with buyouts.

He can retire early without the cap sticking, however.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 am

I guess I'd go
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

If Sid is ready to be a goal scorer again i like that. Sid seemed to want to play the pass first this season. Bennette is more of a play maker than a goal scorer.

Nothing wrong with Sid being a playmaker i would just want a Kunitz type with him if that is the case.
I sure hope Sid isn't interfering with Sheros business. Its one thing to take his opinion into concideration its another to let him run the hockey operations.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:52 am

Good deal..

That being said, I'm concerned about the fact we now have 2 guys (who seem to rely on their speed a decent amount, especially Dupuis) locked up until they are 37/38
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 am

IanMoran wrote:Good deal..

That being said, I'm concerned about the fact we now have 2 guys (who seem to rely on their speed a decent amount, especially Dupuis) locked up until they are 37/38

Eh, if anything we can trade 1 or 2 or buy out. That's not a big concern. I am totally not worried about Dupuis because his legs are golden. I don't know how Kunitz will look 2 years from now, but we'll see when we get there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:58 am

These buy outs don't carry on past next off season, right? I would be shocked if either one would be bought out.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:00 pm

They can compliance buyout next offseason, and then its regular buyouts.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins