GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I went to an Irish pub in Lancaster that had Penn Marzen on special ($2 off bottles). I forgot how smooth this beer is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Shyster wrote:With the hot weather, calling for refreshing beers, I bought a case each of Penn Weizen and Penn Kaiser Pils. Both are solid representatives of their respective styles. In particular, while the Kaiser isn’t hoppy compared to, say, an IPA, it’s nicely hoppy for a Pils, and the noble hops are well balanced.

Has anyone had Penn’s Cool River Kölsch? I might pick up some of that too.

I found the Kolsch to be fairly meh tbh.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:28 pm

had the Kolsch at Anthony's yesterday. It's not bad, but like most Kolsches it's nothing I'd go out of my way to drink.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Sometimes one wants a spectacular beer like an imperial IPA. Sometimes one wants something that it inoffensive and refreshing but is not an adjunct barley pop like a Budmillermolsonlabattcoronacoors. I think Kölsch is one of the beers that fills the latter role, especially on a nice hot summer day.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 am

I'm not above drinking cheap American beer, especially on the 4th, but some of these will never find their way near me.

http://deadspin.com/36-cheap-american-b ... socialflow

Had my first Keystone Light in years last weekend.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 am

Shyster wrote:Sometimes one wants a spectacular beer like an imperial IPA. Sometimes one wants something that it inoffensive and refreshing but is not an adjunct barley pop like a Budmillermolsonlabattcoronacoors. I think Kölsch is one of the beers that fills the latter role, especially on a nice hot summer day.

That seems to be quite accurate. :thumb:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I went to an Irish pub in Lancaster that had Penn Marzen on special ($2 off bottles). I forgot how smooth this beer is.

I really like their Marzen. What is the difference between Penns Marzen and Octoberfest?

I need to try Stones IPA, have you had their Levitation Ale?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 am

Shyster wrote:Sometimes one wants a spectacular beer like an imperial IPA. Sometimes one wants something that it inoffensive and refreshing but is not an adjunct barley pop like a Budmillermolsonlabattcoronacoors. I think Kölsch is one of the beers that fills the latter role, especially on a nice hot summer day.

Negro Especial cans is my go to in that spot.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

How's the bottle selection at Beer Nutz on Freeport Rd.? I've been driving by there recently on my way to physical therapy appointments in Harmarville and was thinking about stopping in to pick up some stuff if they have some good bottles. They don't seem to have a bottle list on their website.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 am

Speaking of Beers for a hot day, what is LGP's preference?

I used to drink really heavy dark beer in the winter (This was before craft beers took off - 1980's) and Lagers in the summer.

Anymore, I find it's tough to find a tasty beer that's not extremely filling or with a high alcohol content in the summer time.

And after drinking craft beer for so long now, I find it really hard to find a beer that's acceptable.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 am

The last time I was in there I thought it was pretty bad. Between nothing and a handful of things that Giant Eagle doesn't have. Probably more that GE has that Beer Nutz does not. They have decent drafts, though, I guess.

Edit: Beer Nutz
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:03 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

I used to drink really heavy dark beer in the winter (This was before craft beers took off - 1980's) and Lagers in the summer.

Anymore, I find it's tough to find a tasty beer that's not extremely filling or with a high alcohol content in the summer time.

And after drinking craft beer for so long now, I find it really hard to find a beer that's acceptable.

Negro Especial or Pilsner Urquell.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Saison saison saison. The best summer beer you never hear about. If its going to be hot, probably something like Le Merle or Brooklyn Sorachi Ace.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 am

You are dead on with the role a kölsch fills. They are hard to find around here. Stoudt's Karnival Kölsch is decent and somewhat available. I've yet to have Penn's. Some west coast breweries seem to be building off of Kölsches and making them a bit more interesting. I had one from Double Mountain brewery in Portland area that was the best I've had, though it was about one tick higher than you'd expect on ABV, which if I recall you are not a fan off. A 6% kolsch on a hot day could do some serious damage.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Speaking of Beers for a hot day, what is LGP's preference?

I'm not above drinking something like a Miller Lite or an IC Light on a hot day. In most cases, it's a marathon not a sprint and that 8% IPA might not be the best thing to be drinking if you plan on lasting through the evening.

But if I'm going to somebody's place for hang out or for a cookout, I'm probably going with a hefe since its fairly light and not too high on the alcohol.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

This summer, I've been drinking a lot of Bell's Oberon, Southern Tier Phin & Matts, and Red Stripe. When it's been cool or raining, I usually pull a ST Oat from the reserves. One of the most relaxing times of the week (and has become a ritual for me) has been sitting on the deck with a cold beer, nice cigar, dead on the backyard speakers, and just staring into the forest behind us, fits perfectly on sunday evening (actually fits perfectly any night)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:12 am

Hot day beer? Miller High life... i love dem bubbles.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:13 am

I love saisons in the summer. Pretty much the only time I drink them, honestly, because I typically go for the hops. Got a new favorite as of a few weeks ago: Prairie Artisan Ale's Prairie Hop from Oklahoma. They primarily brew saisons and they're all fantastic, so you should hit them up if you get the chance.

Other summer beer styles I like are blondes, lagers, pils, and cream ales. Some good cream ales are Sixpoint's Sweet Action and Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice. I'm not a wheat fan, but wheats and hefeweizens are pretty big in the summer, too.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 am

I can deal with summer shandy for a tailgate or something outside. Phinn and Matts is also solid. Summer Love is fantastic but the latter two probably are strong for day drankin
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 am

if you put cream soda and anderson valley's summer solstice in front of me, i'd have a hard time telling them apart. lol

edit: i should say in terms of taste.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby JS© on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

ILikeTurtles wrote:If anyone has an Andriod or iPhone download the app 'Untappd' you can record the types of beers you have had. Just downloaded it but it is prety neat.

Letang Is The Truth wrote:samuel smith winter beer last night was incredible. does anyone use untappd app to track the beers youve had?

the wicked child wrote:Tried Brooklyn Monster Ale Barleywine tonight. Definitely one of the better BWs I've had. It was MUCH smoother than the Sam Adams BW I tried last summer and tasted much better as well. I can't drink these kind of beers in quantity, but at 10.1, that's a good thing.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else on here use Untappd? I didn't really start to use it until recently, but I like the fact that I can have an encyclopedia of the beers I've tried at my fingertips.

Was getting ready to ask if anybody was on untappd and then remembered that I said I was... but never gave a name.

I'm on as: iamjs (I know, very creative name)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 am

Kraftster wrote:The last time I was in there I thought it was pretty bad. Between nothing and a handful of things that Giant Eagle doesn't have. Probably more that GE has that Beer Nutz does not. They have decent drafts, though, I guess.

Edit: Beer Nutz

Thanks. I thought their draft list looked decent, so I thought they might have a good bottle selection, but I guess not.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:25 am

count2infinity wrote:if you put cream soda and anderson valley's summer solstice in front of me, i'd have a hard time telling them apart. lol

edit: i should say in terms of taste.

On tap, definitely. Very refreshing.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:25 am

JoseCuervo wrote:

I love saisons in the summer. Pretty much the only time I drink them, honestly, because I typically go for the hops. Got a new favorite as of a few weeks ago: Prairie Artisan Ale's Prairie Hop from Oklahoma. They primarily brew saisons and they're all fantastic, so you should hit them up if you get the chance.

Other summer beer styles I like are blondes, lagers, pils, and cream ales. Some good cream ales are Sixpoint's Sweet Action and Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice. I'm not a wheat fan, but wheats and hefeweizens are pretty big in the summer, too.

Do you know Perennial Artisan Ales? I had the Aria saison on draft a couple months ago and House of 1000 Beers here in Pittsburgh has a couple bottles now. Not cheap, so I'm curious if you've got any input. Specifically I think they have the Saison De Lis that I would like to try.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:35 am

Troegs Dreamweaver is my summer beer of choice.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR