Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I hack everything too, ignoring any codes I find. One of the first things I did was upgrade my hacking skill to 3 and then 5 soon after that, so I've been hacking everything getting experience and money. I just got to Tai Yong and I have all the upgrades I need and still have like 8 praxis points left to use. I'll use 3 now, but not sure what to use the other 5 on and I think this is only like the halfway point through the game. Hacking everything from the start was a great idea, imo.

Yup, hacking everything is a great way to get money and experience. If I remember right, if you get them all, by the end of the game you eventually get enough Praxis packs to upgrade most of the augs. I think the only ones I didn't bother with is the Typhoon system and the ones that show you vision cones and stuff for characters. I thought the most useful ones other than hacking are the ones that let you carry more, jump higher, fall without damage, and execute multiple simultaneous takedowns. The "punch through walls" one is also good to take early, as in many cases goodies are hidden behind those breakable walls. In fact, I recall at least one of those stashes somewhere in the game includes a Praxis pack, so that aug eventually pays for itself.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Pretty close to finishing Deponia. I can’t recommend this game. The game is trying to be funny, but IMO most of the humor falls flat. Much of the humor is supposed to derive from the behavior of the main character, but instead of coming off as funny, he mostly comes across as an annoying, whiny d-bag. In addition, point-and-click adventure games live and die by the quality of their puzzles. These games are all about using and combining the various items you collect to defeat puzzles and advance in the game. Those puzzles have to be tough enough to be challenging but intuitive enough that people can reasonably figure them out. On that Deponia fails. Many of the puzzles and the accompanying item combinations are utterly obtuse.

I was never a big fan of this genre, but I did greatly appreciate playing Grim Fandango (probably the best adventure game of all time) many years ago. Now that was a great adventure game. I really wish Lucasarts would put it up for sale on Steam.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I hack everything too, ignoring any codes I find. One of the first things I did was upgrade my hacking skill to 3 and then 5 soon after that, so I've been hacking everything getting experience and money. I just got to Tai Yong and I have all the upgrades I need and still have like 8 praxis points left to use. I'll use 3 now, but not sure what to use the other 5 on and I think this is only like the halfway point through the game. Hacking everything from the start was a great idea, imo.

Yup, hacking everything is a great way to get money and experience. If I remember right, if you get them all, by the end of the game you eventually get enough Praxis packs to upgrade most of the augs. I think the only ones I didn't bother with is the Typhoon system and the ones that show you vision cones and stuff for characters. I thought the most useful ones other than hacking are the ones that let you carry more, jump higher, fall without damage, and execute multiple simultaneous takedowns. The "punch through walls" one is also good to take early, as in many cases goodies are hidden behind those breakable walls. In fact, I recall at least one of those stashes somewhere in the game includes a Praxis pack, so that aug eventually pays for itself.

I spent 3 of the 8 praxis and got 2 more already. They're very generous with that if you look everywhere and especially if you take every opportunity to gain experience. Though I will say, when I first started the game, I was quiet angry because I couldn't understand how the hack puzzles worked and found them too difficult. I was going to do a full hate post here. But ever since I figured out how they work, which nods to go after before others, what different nods do, etc... I'm actually having a lot of fun just doing the puzzles.

I got the Typhoon all upgraded and am carrying 15 charges, even if worthy usage is rare and for the most part unnecessary. That thing is actually cool though... it kills everything, groups, even robots.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:19 pm

So for people who have played Skyrim... what is the best way to tackle the Mammoths? I haven't had any success so far. Usually, they seem to be in packs of 2 with a giant. I will get close to killing one of them when the other 2 intervene and I have to flee or die.

Seems kinda strange that I can stand up to a dragon but a Mammoth kicks my ass...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 pm

the wicked child wrote:So for people who have played Skyrim... what is the best way to tackle the Mammoths? I haven't had any success so far. Usually, they seem to be in packs of 2 with a giant. I will get close to killing one of them when the other 2 intervene and I have to flee or die.

Seems kinda strange that I can stand up to a dragon but a Mammoth kicks my ass...

It's kind of a cheat, but they don't like water. If you're in water, they can't reach you.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 pm

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever killed a mammoth in Skyrim. It’s rather rare to find a critter in an Elder Scrolls that doesn’t always go out of its way to kill the PC on sight, so I returned the favor and left them alone. I figured I could use a little good karma:

SCENE – The Bannered Mare inn in Whiterun. Two Nords are drinking at the bar.

NORD 1 – [To the second] Hey, have you ever met Shyster? I understand he’s got a house down near the gate.

NORD 2 – You mean the Dragonborn? By Talos, that guy’s a monster! Stay away from him! He constantly wanders Skyrim poking his nose into every camp, castle, and cave he finds, and if you even fart in his general direction, he won’t walk away until he’s killed every damn living creature in the place. He’s probably killed more men than the Dark Brotherhood has in its entire history!

NORD 1 – Yeah, but I heard he’s nice to mammoths.

NORD 2 – Aye, well, there is that. [Raises tankard] To the Dragonborn!

NORD 1 – To the Dragonborn!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:41 pm

I guess it's not a huge deal, but I do have a quest to give someone a Mammoth Tusk.

Speaking of quests, I apparently hit a glitch with one... was supposed to talk to someone and convince them to return to a temple... gave her the charm she wanted... but the quest is still there and I can't do anything further. Oh well.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Reading about someone playing Skyrim is so weird. I remember being addicted to it, and then getting so fed up with it I ran through the last 2 or 3 main storyline quests to get the game out of my life. I have almost no memory of the game other than:

Spoiler:
1. That underground place that was a representation of someone on hallucinogens.

2. Thinking that they had "borrowed" a lot of the themes/concepts from the Game of Thrones books.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Yea, I remember playing Skyrim a lot, but I have very little recollection of the game. I still prefer Oblivion to Skyrim.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:08 am

New Minecraft update added horses, donkeys, and mules...can be tamed and ridden!!! Woo!

Seriously though, it is a cool game.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 am

the wicked child wrote:I guess it's not a huge deal, but I do have a quest to give someone a Mammoth Tusk

Oh, yeah, for whatsherface in Whiterun. I got her a mammoth tusk by finding a location where an inhabitant had one and then murdered everyone inside, at which point none of the corpses objected to me taking it.

I recall that she's also a drug dealer. Being a libertarian, I took that as a good omen and married her.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 pm

and the answer is... The Halted Stream Camp. There are like 5 of them on a shelf in the mine.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:29 pm

FF7 is available on Steam.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Deus Ex advice wanted.

First of all, I just got to Montreal and have over $60,000. I don't know what they're giving me so much money for but whatever.

Question on weapons since I am noticing more serious fighting at this part of the game. Is it going to get more like this? Because I've been mostly sneaking around and shooting guys in the head up to this point. For the first time I am using my light machine gun in battles.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to drop my tranq. rifle and the stun gun (plus ammo for each) to make room for the heavy machine gun and the giant ammo box it uses. I do have the typhoon and 20 charges now for heavy battles, but if there is a lot of fighting from now on, maybe the 'heavy' would be a good idea (though I hate the 2 spin-up before it starts firing, and also I would have to find some upgrades for it and I don't know how much is available.... 'damage' upgrades are hard to find, especially, and I need a few for my 3 other weapons).

I do have an upgraded revolver with the explosive bullets thing and it blows up even the heavy soldiers in 1 or 2 shots, so I don't know if I will need the heavy machine gun.

What happens in the game now.... more speaking around or more and more heavy battles? I still have to go back to Detroit and China and somewhere else, so I think there is still like half a game left.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Bioshock wrote:FF7 is available on Steam.

you have just destroyed my weekend.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm

the wicked child wrote:So for people who have played Skyrim... what is the best way to tackle the Mammoths? I haven't had any success so far. Usually, they seem to be in packs of 2 with a giant. I will get close to killing one of them when the other 2 intervene and I have to flee or die.

Level up archery and sneaking. With the right perks, you can kill just about anything in the game with one shot.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:33 pm

For those who just downloaded BF3, I just finally found the disc when we moved (went missing for 6 months). If anyone wants to get a few games this weekend, let me (and Rylan) know. PS - Rylan... I found BF3. Want to follow me to your death into some fights this weekend? :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:58 pm

the girl i just started dating is super in to games, and told me i had to watch this. glad i did... sooooo cool.

Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 pm

That would be cool except for the band playing music
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:09 am

SolidSnake wrote:That would be cool except for the band playing music

My first reaction was 'the girl must be dating one of the dudes in the band' (as well as froggy), but then as I realized what it was and started listening to it more, I thought it was pretty cool. I agree it's a bit crudely done, but I appreciate the effort. It's not bad... wish it was in a good studio setting instead.

I've actually always wondered what it would be like to play some of those old video game tunes because some of those are really really really excellent. Check out the tune they play at 15:49. Cool stuff. If only they had a better sound...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 pm

I just really enjoy the fact that this girl is as big a classic mega man fan as I am
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to drop my tranq. rifle and the stun gun (plus ammo for each) to make room for the heavy machine gun and the giant ammo box it uses. I do have the typhoon and 20 charges now for heavy battles, but if there is a lot of fighting from now on, maybe the 'heavy' would be a good idea (though I hate the 2 spin-up before it starts firing, and also I would have to find some upgrades for it and I don't know how much is available.... 'damage' upgrades are hard to find, especially, and I need a few for my 3 other weapons).

I never really used that rifle and made it through the game okay. I prefer stealth play, so probably 90% of my kills were either takedowns or headshots from the silenced pistol or combat rifle. There is one boss fight were a heavy weapon comes in handy, but there's actually a laser rifle in that room already.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Now playing Two Worlds, an open-world RPG in the vein of games like Oblivion. It came out around the same time as Oblivion, so that's a good comparison. The plot isn't as good, but the graphics are decent and combat works well. Magic isn't as varied but is useful. It's not as sophisticated as Oblivion, either. For example, villagers just stand around all hours of the day and night, where in Oblivion people would not only sleep but move around from town to town. In fact, the PC never rests either, as the game has no concept of sleep. The game world is large and varied, and there's plenty of stuff to explore. The voice acting is humorously atrocious. The game was originally in German and it sounds like whatever company was hired to translate everything into English just had its employees to all of the voices. There are a some things Two Worlds does well. For example, the horses in the game actually act like animals with their own wills, rather than the vehicles they seem to be in Oblivion and Skyrim. They will balk if you try to ride them off a cliff, down too steep of a hill, or into a lake. Also, this game implements combat for spears and pole arms, and there are plenty of both.

Verdict: Two Worlds is a poor-man's Elder Scrolls game. Not as good, not as detailed, not as well-developed, not as polished. Still, it's not too bad as to be unenjoyable. Considering I bought it for a song during a Steam sale, I think it was a good buy.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to drop my tranq. rifle and the stun gun (plus ammo for each) to make room for the heavy machine gun and the giant ammo box it uses. I do have the typhoon and 20 charges now for heavy battles, but if there is a lot of fighting from now on, maybe the 'heavy' would be a good idea (though I hate the 2 spin-up before it starts firing, and also I would have to find some upgrades for it and I don't know how much is available.... 'damage' upgrades are hard to find, especially, and I need a few for my 3 other weapons).

I never really used that rifle and made it through the game okay. I prefer stealth play, so probably 90% of my kills were either takedowns or headshots from the silenced pistol or combat rifle. There is one boss fight were a heavy weapon comes in handy, but there's actually a laser rifle in that room already.

I'm going to be rolling with what I got for now. I had to fight that 6'7 boss lady, Yelena. Here's how I kicked her ass:

1. stun gun shot to immobilize her
2. typhoon blast
3. repeat above one time

She didn't even touch or shoot me one time.

Carrying 20 typhoon charges. Yeah, come F with me, anyone.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Al Lowe, the creator of Leisure Suit Larry, did an AMA on reddit... Nostalgia all over the place.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR