LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I think this world would be generally better off if only women could be presidents.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Wait till they start doing that to us, you know, for our own protection.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

Well, it's the military's network, not the property of private citizens.
Cross Site Scripting and other HTTP based attacks could cause real problem for the military networks, so while I disagree with the censorship aspect, I totally support their right to block whatever sites they please.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:50 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Well, it's the military's network, not the property of private citizens.
Cross Site Scripting and other HTTP based attacks could cause real problem for the military networks, so while I disagree with the censorship aspect, I totally support their right to block whatever sites they please.

But this is just a newspaper. Sounds to me they just don't want the troops to know their government sucks. Or is there more to that? Maybe I'm missing something. But, what's going to prevent whatever info from getting to the troops via different news sites?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:18 pm

:) And a beautiful love story may yet come out of this...

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/smitten-spies-snowden-gets-proposal-tweet-russian-agent-6C10544354

Snowden, 30, has received a marriage proposal of sorts in a tweet from Anna Chapman, the glamorous redhead who was one of 10 Russian agents arrested in the United States and deported in a Cold war-style spy swap in 2010.

"Snowden, will you marry me?!" a posting on a Twitter account bearing Chapman's name and photograph said late on Wednesday.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stinky on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:26 pm

According to the Charlottesville Daily Progress, shortly after 10 p.m. April 11, the University of Virginia student bought ice cream, cookie dough and a carton of LaCroix sparkling water from the Harris Teeter grocery store at the popular Barracks Road Shopping Center. In the parking lot, a half-dozen men and a woman approached her car, flashing some kind of badges. One jumped on the hood. Another drew a gun. Others started trying to break the windows.

The people who had swarmed Daly’s vehicle were plainclothes agents of the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. The agents had thought the sparkling water was a 12-pack of beer.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion/ou ... 2cdc0.html

Decent opinion piece shedding some light on the growing problem of police powers.
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby obhave on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 pm

http://feminspire.com/why-this-queer-wo ... -equality/

Don't be scared off just by the website name. Her article touches on a lot of points: Why she disagrees with the LGBT communities focus on marriage equality, governments push for marriages and many issues with the Human Rights Campaign. Remember those pink equality flags everyone had on facebook? There might be a few more reasons to hate them.

I disagree with her that the LGBT community should not be going so hard for marriage equality. While those many laws stand, it is important that our community also has the same rights that every heterosexual couple also has. Not every LGBT person is like her that they think marriage is an outdated tradition only based on heternormative ideals, which can't be changed. There are far more important issues for LGBT people that need to be addressed, but this is a tangible one. An issue it seems the nation can rally behind. Once you can get support then other issues can be raised. It's not the easiest thing to get people to support trans rights from the get-go, but give it time, and maybe it will happen. I do agree with her opinion on outdated marriage laws though.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:22 am

That article could bring a tear to someone's eye with how this country is changing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:29 am

obhave wrote:http://feminspire.com/why-this-queer-woman-hates-marriage-equality/

Don't be scared off just by the website name.

Are you kidding. Though it was a pron site. Slightly disappointed, but I read anyway.

I disagree with her that the LGBT community should not be going so hard for marriage equality. I do agree with her opinion on outdated marriage laws though.

Yup and yup.

our community

I thought you were married to a guy. My g/f likes to make out with a girl now and then too, but that doesn't mean she's a lesbian or part of the whole gay thing. (shrug)

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:47 am

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 pm

A little late, but still on topic:

Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Kinda bonkers news coming out of San Francisco; Asiana Airlines 777 has crashed on landing and apparently cartwheeled at least once before landing upright off the runway. No official word yet on victims and survivors, but the USCG reports taking at least one passenger to the hospital via helicopter and witnesses reported seeing some passengers getting out of the aircraft via the escape chutes.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:13 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Kinda bonkers news coming out of San Francisco; Asiana Airlines 777 has crashed on landing and apparently cartwheeled at least once before landing upright off the runway. No official word yet on victims and survivors, but the USCG reports taking at least one passenger to the hospital via helicopter and witnesses reported seeing some passengers getting out of the aircraft via the escape chutes.

Yep, I saw that, given that I fly in and out of SFO frequently (and the approach over the water still gives me the heebee geebees) and that I have an 11:04 flight tomorrow morning, I'm trying not to pay any attention to it.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Just as I suspected, sounds like the tail was so low it scraped the Seawall on the landing.

They have automated systems to prevent these things, I've heard a lot of pilots (especially foriegn ones) don't use them. Hard to fathom.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Since I assume that most who read this thread are interested in the world around them:

http://www.kalimedia.com/Atlas_of_True_Names.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:08 am

Sarcastic wrote:
obhave wrote:http://feminspire.com/why-this-queer-woman-hates-marriage-equality/

Don't be scared off just by the website name.

Are you kidding. Though it was a pron site. Slightly disappointed, but I read anyway.

I disagree with her that the LGBT community should not be going so hard for marriage equality. I do agree with her opinion on outdated marriage laws though.

Yup and yup.

our community

I thought you were married to a guy. My g/f likes to make out with a girl now and then too, but that doesn't mean she's a lesbian or part of the whole gay thing. (shrug)

I...what??? Are you drunk? What's wrong with you?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Just as I suspected, sounds like the tail was so low it scraped the Seawall on the landing.

They have automated systems to prevent these things, I've heard a lot of pilots (especially foriegn ones) don't use them. Hard to fathom.

The most the plane does is warn you that you're close to the ground, which will happen whether you crash or land perfectly. Catch some wind shear, and it won't matter how sophisticated your aircraft is, its almost impossible to keep in the air.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:29 am

slappybrown wrote:I...what??? Are you drunk? What's wrong with you?

I read what I wrote twice and have no idea what you have a problem with there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am

Cameras Catch Mystery Break-In at Whistleblower's Law Firm
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts ... s_law_firm
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 am

Here's one for Shyster.....

US Air Force My Little Pony Patch Is Apparently Real
http://www.neatorama.com/2013/07/07/US- ... ntly-Real/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 am

columbia wrote:Cameras Catch Mystery Break-In at Whistleblower's Law Firm
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts ... s_law_firm

Disable javascript and reload page to read:

After assessing the surveillance footage, Schulman said he believed the motivations were likely political, but did not suspect department involvement. "It wasn't professional enough," he said. "It is possible that an Obama or Hillary supporter feels that I am unfairly going after them. And the timing of this is right after several weeks of very public media attention so it seems to me most likely that the information sought is related to that case. I don't know for sure and I want the police to do their work."
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Kaizer wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Just as I suspected, sounds like the tail was so low it scraped the Seawall on the landing.

The most the plane does is warn you that you're close to the ground, which will happen whether you crash or land perfectly. Catch some wind shear, and it won't matter how sophisticated your aircraft is, its almost impossible to keep in the air.

Heard a very clear and concise description of the mishap on Sirius this morning provided by a pilot and attorney who specializes in aviation law.

- Captain had over 12,000 hours in 'heavies' (mostly 747) but had less than 100 in-type (777), and had never performed an over-water approach (which can mess up your visual references) in-type.

- SFO Instrument Landing System (ILS) has been disabled since early June and is undergoing renovation work through early August. (My return flight from SFO last week was delayed by about an hour because of FAA checks of the ILS system that effectively shut down all the runways for half an hour; the conga line at the end of all four runways was impressive)

- 777 carries an on-board GPS system that provides much the same information as ILS, but it wasn't activated; approach was 100% "VFR"... and was likely the first VFR approach ever flown in-type by this captain.

- Normal approach speed is 137 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed), but this aircraft was down to 103 KIAS... which basically means he was falling more than flying.

- The First Officer's main job during landing is to monitor airspeed and and glideslope and to physically take over the controls if the Captain is out of normal parameters at 500' above ground level (AGL). He did not do this, despite excessively slow airspeed and excessively high sink rate.

- To arrest the sink approaching the runway threshold the pilot applied power and increased pitch simultaneously, but because of the normal lag in a turbofan engine the increased power hadn't actually come in which meant the change in pitch just raised the nose up - and lowered the tail - and somewhat increased the sink rate, which led to the tail section striking the ground and bringing the rest of the plane down hard on the main mounts.

- If the pilot had done nothing, the likelihood is the plane would have landed well short of the touchdown zone (which is 1,100' from the runway threshold) and harder than normal but would have otherwise been completely safe.

In short: Pretty clear case of human error.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Reminds me of Air France Flight 447 from Rio to Paris a few years ago. Turned out be a much bigger tragedy, of course, but bottom line was: had the pilot (or co-pilot, the pilot was napping, iirc) done nothing, the crash doesn't happen. At least that's how I remember it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR