Farewell TK

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Farewell TK

Postby Ben Klingston on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:28 am

I enjoyed this column by Starkey, and agree with almost every point in it. It was clearly time for TK and the Pens to part ways, but I'll always remember him for some of the bigger clutch playoff moments and goals we've seen in the last ~ 5 years. Farewell indeed, #48.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4297858-74/kennedy-game-penguins#axzz2Y5eT3OmV
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Farewell TK

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:38 am

But who will lick the sticks now? Again, good luck in SJ Tyler.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:45 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 am

I wish nothing but the best for him and thanks for the contributions here as a Penguin which included some timely goals and effortxs He always gave everything he had and really made the most out of a kind of average at best skill-set for a NHLer.

MISTAHHHHHHH......KENNEDY....KENNEDY!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Was thinking about creating a Tyler Kennedy appreciation thread. He really does deserve one. He was a warrior for us. I wish him all the best in San Jose and thank him for his relatively thankless years of service here.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:11 pm

For the grass is always greener...

Doug Wilson was quoted as saying he was deciding between Clutterbuck and Kennedy, but thought Kennedy would be better for them. The Sharks then went on to trade away Giardia (who some people here wanted to pick pick) in order to make room for TK.

He should do well in San Jose, especially if he's playing with Pavelski.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Hopes he gets a fresh start TK had no chemistry with Sutter. Just like Max he has had some big playoff goals. Gonna miss the player he was with Staal.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

I'll miss Ol' Boy. He never took a game off, and like Starkey wrote, came through at critical times.

Good luck, Tyler, and don't forget where it all started. One of our homegrown guys.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm

It's probably best for both the Pens and TK.

He was a whipping boy here alot, but I'd rather remember some big goals in the playoffs - especially a goal (and an assist), in a 2-1 game 6 win over the Wings, when the Cup was in the building....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Time for him to move on, but thanks for the memories.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I think the Crosby-Malkin injury year kind of ruined him. He was relied upon to score for the second half of that season and he lost his identity in doing so. That forecheck he was famous for never came back when Sid and Geno were healthy again.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dman66 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:54 pm

wondermoose wrote:I think the Crosby-Malkin injury year kind of ruined him. He was relied upon to score for the second half of that season and he lost his identity in doing so. That forecheck he was famous for never came back when Sid and Geno were healthy again.

Agreed. His 2M contract didn't help either. TK was always good in the playoffs. He was horrible this past regular season, but what can you do? It was a good move for both sides.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Much like Maxime Talbot, another heart and soul guy that departs for whatever reason. It's too bad he didn't make himself more valuable this past season, and I will admit he was an effective playoff performer for his type. Boggles my mind why he was scratched in the playoffs when he plays his best, and even if he wasn't up to snuff, his speed alone should have garnered him a spot.

Best of luck, TK.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Best of luck, TK. To a long career in good health!
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:24 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Time for him to move on, but thanks for the memories.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:11 pm

A good 4th line player. Shame he went on that tear right before his contract
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:27 pm

IanMoran wrote:A good 4th line player. Shame he went on that tear right before his contract

he was a great 3rd line player for 4+ years. but don't let that get in the way of pissing in the punch bowl.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 pm

one last time.

THE LITTLE FEISTY TIGER GRINDER

For every "big goal he had" he either sucked for 30 games, or made 30 mistakes. Extremely overrated on these boards. There's LARGE stretches of every regular season where he doesn't even look like NHL caliber. No consistency at all. I never figured out if it was an overall issue with his game-to-game motor...or if his motor just got him so banged up every few games that he would just glide along and couldn't do anything.

Goodluck in San Jose.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 pm

IanMoran wrote:A good 4th line player. Shame he went on that tear right before his contract

The Problem is, since he was RFA, you can't make DECREASED money during your RFA years. He isn't worth 2.0M, not with this cap, this year. So no way we could keep him. I agree he's a GREAT 4th liner. Good speed, good grinding, chipping, and put in 12 goals a year on his own. Just not worth it for this team anymore.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stick_licker on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm

neophool wrote:Much like Maxime Talbot, another heart and soul guy that departs for whatever reason. It's too bad he didn't make himself more valuable this past season, and I will admit he was an effective playoff performer for his type. Boggles my mind why he was scratched in the playoffs when he plays his best, and even if he wasn't up to snuff, his speed alone should have garnered him a spot.

Best of luck, TK.

I think a lot of the Penguins recent playoff woes is due to the personnel choices they've made in the off-seasons. Look at who we've let go: Talbot, Kennedy, Scuderi, Gill, Rupp, etc. These are proven playoff performers that we've let go. For some reason it was more valuable to bring in Tanner Glass, to keep Niskanen, keep trying to play Jeffrey, Tangradi, etc. The players above weren't signed for huge contracts. They may have been slightly overpaid, but I'd much rather overpay someone who demonstrates year after year they can perform in the playoffs than throw away a million here and there for Tanner Glass or Jeffrey to ride the bench. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:53 pm

You know what....

should have amnestied Glass, and used that 1.1m to re-up TK at 2.0m. We would still have decent cap space too. (so TK would technically have been only .900k more.)

damn, glass is just so worthless. We did get a 2nd round pick though hmhmhmm
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Nizzy wrote:

The Problem is, since he was RFA, you can't make DECREASED money during your RFA years. He isn't worth 2.0M, not with this cap, this year. So no way we could keep him. I agree he's a GREAT 4th liner. Good speed, good grinding, chipping, and put in 12 goals a year on his own. Just not worth it for this team anymore.

Not necessarily true. See: Mason, Steve. In order to retain rights for players making $1 million or more you need to offer 100% of their current salary OR you may negotiate, well, something else if the situation calls for it.

In any event, respectfully, this our Tyler Kennedy appreciation thread. And while I can't tell you where to post and where not to post (especially on July 4th of all days for goodness sake), if you want to continue to lambaste Tyler Kennedy there are about one hundred thousand other threads where it's applicable. Can the man have just one last one for his service to this organization...?

Fun fact: Tyler Kennedy is tied for 28th in franchise history in even strength goals (w/Paul Coffey and Troy Loney). :idea:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Tyler Kennedy was definitely in my top 5 favorite players on this team over the last 4-5 years. I'm sad to see him go. I still don't understand the vitriol that was thrown at him year in and year out around here. He did what he did very well and worked his ass off on the ice every night. What more do you want from a 3rd line guy?
I wish him the best of luck and have a feeling that he will do very well I SJ.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Fun fact: Tyler Kennedy, when in the lineup, provided the best Penguins winning % on Thursday nights, during the 2nd Thursdays of every month, when there was a Full Moon, in the history of the Penguins.

-Mikey
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 am

Lots of TK love up in here. I think the maximum love is contained in one single thread. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins